Overwhelming praise

sw
swilcox

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:14 pm Post

I installed iOS Scrivener on my iPhone and iPad Air this morning. After some initial craziness with Dropbox syncing (I didn't try the External folder option fortunately), I must say everything is now functioning BEAUTIFULLY across those two devices and Scrivener on my MacBook Pro. Stunning!

The Dropbox "issues" for me (one user error, one not I think): the user error is simply that it is CRITICAL to remember to sync with Dropbox on one device BEFORE opening the file on another device. It's simple really (and Scrivener tells you, but somehow I managed to not do it correctly).

The non-user error, I think, is this: I moved an existing Scrivener OS X folder into the new Dropbox Apps/Scrivener folder using Dropbox on my iPhone. That is, in Dropbox iOS I navigated to the folder (in Documents) on my MacBook Air (my entire Documents folder is synced to Dropbox using a symlink), and allowed iOS Dropbox to move (actually, I copied) the Mac OS X Scrivener file to the Scrivener Dropbox folder. When I then synced, it appears in Scrivener iOS, but upon trying to open Scrivener iOS said the file was not compatible.

I think moved the Mac OS Scrivener file on my MacBook Air to the Dropbox folder, replacing the earlier one, opened Scrivener iOS, and everything was fine. So perhaps this is a problem in the way Dropbox moves/copies files?

[Yes, I had already installed Scrivener 2.8, and converted that file.]

Let me just say: you have GOT to be KIDDING ME. This version 1.0 is INCREDIBLE. I now have a project I'm working in complete with dozens of complex diagrams (created in OmniGraffle and saved as PDFs) and video files in the Research folder, all my notes, draft writing, etc. I'm amazed at the simplicity (except for that darned Dropbox syncing, but hey, for me it was 99% user error) and yet the depth of this initial release. Everywhere I look, I see attention to detail: for example, the folder icons are some of the best I've seen on iOS.

AMAZING job, Keith. This is going to revolutionize my academic research and writing.

--
Sherman Wilcox, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of New Mexico

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:49 pm Post

Many thanks for the kind words, Sherman! I really appreciate it.

As for Dropbox, that's interesting - I'll have to try moving projects using Dropbox on iOS, as I have to admit that's something I've never thought to try. It might explain why some other users have had problems too. I'm currently putting together an in-depth Knowledge Base article on syncing to try to cover all of the problems users are having.

Thanks again!
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ko
korm

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:04 pm Post

Adding my deepest gratitude for Scrivener iOS and the hard hard work that lead up to it. It's obviously a highly intelligent piece of craftsmanship. One that I'm looking forward to using enjoyable for years to come. A while back I bought an iPad Pro and then, with buyer's regret, wondered why I did that. Quickly I realized it was the best writing environment I've ever had. And now comes Scrivener iOS to complete the kit. Ah!
Last edited by korm on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 pm Post

Thanks korm!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

palpatine
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:15 pm Post

As an academic (historian), I have to agree that this is going to mean great things for my writing and research on the iPad Pro. I cannot thank you enough for making this so well -- I didn't expect to see a 1.0 version looking so polished, either.

In my case, I followed the directions kindly posted by someone else in the forum, made a folder in Dropbox on my Mac, and put the manuscript file in it. BUT, I shouldn't have done that. What I wondered at the time is whether I ought to be using the "Apps" folder, and it turned out that a dialogue in the Scrivener iOS app advised me to do that. I was kind of surprised that I had to do all of this manually.

I have had other apps link with Dropbox and create a folder for the app within the "Apps" folder for me. This is quite convenient, and I would suggest that approach. Then, you could advise folks (via a dialogue box) to move their work into that folder with Dropbox on iOS, or drag it into the folder on their Mac. Maybe this would help a little bit, especially for folks unfamiliar with how apps sync using Dropbox (some things have changed a little over the years).

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:04 pm Post

What I wondered at the time is whether I ought to be using the “Apps” folder, and it turned out that a dialogue in the Scrivener iOS app advised me to do that. I was kind of surprised that I had to do all of this manually.

That’s odd, it shouldn’t have done that. When I set up sync for the first time, I’m given the choice of where to sync (default Apps/Scrivener), and when I tap Done, create a project on the device, sync it, and a couple of seconds later the ~/Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener folder appears on the Mac along with the project I created.

In my case, I followed the directions kindly posted by someone else in the forum, made a folder in Dropbox on my Mac, and put the manuscript file in it. BUT, I shouldn’t have done that.

Why not though? You can choose that folder when you set up sync and it is just as good as using the generic default folder?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

sc
sch

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:47 pm Post

Just left a five-star review with comments in the App Store. What an outstanding port! Well done you, Keith!

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:11 pm Post

palpatine - thanks for the kind words, especially from an evil emperor! As Ioa said, you shouldn't have had to create the folder manually - Scrivener should do that automatically if you choose the default folder.

sch - thank you very much indeed! We really appreciate all reviews. As a new app on on the iOS store, many users won't have heard of us, so good reviews *really* helps us get the word out there, so we are really grateful to users who take the time to post them. (Of course, we are grateful to everyone who buys, too! :) )

ChrisRosser

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 pm Post

Scrivener for iOS is magnificent.

I downloaded it the moment it was available in Australia and used it most of the night in bed and on the train to work this morning.

Still getting my head around it. I honestly didn't expect it to be as feature rich as this. Best app I've used on iOS to date and to have my complete novel in my pocket with structure, notes and comments preserved is so empowering!

No more Linux, not janky external folder syncing and pushing rich text through the ringer!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:

Website | Scrivener Articles
Amazon | Twitter | Facebook

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:17 am Post

Thank *you*, Chris, I really appreciate the kind words!

Bo
Bodle

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:33 am Post

Likewise for me, a really easy installation and synching of a moderately complex PhD project. Well done, and thank you.

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:01 am Post

Hi Keith and Team,

You took an awesome product and made it even more awesome! You've also provided very helpful feedback.
I let two writing groups know of the launch. Everyone is thrilled! I will leave a 5 star review in the app store. :)

Thanks,
Tricia

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:29 am Post

120 five-star reviews already, and first place in the "New apps we love" section of the app store. :D
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

richardoz

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:49 am Post

Thanks to all at Scrivener. Downloaded here in rural Australia and everything is perfect. Congratulations!

fl
flttrainer

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:20 am Post

Thank you, Scrivener! The new iOS app works perfectly with my MacBook. It will greatly enhance my work towards my PhD!

Rob