File not compatible... "Unsupported Project File Format""

kt
ktabb
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:40 pm Post

I only have one .scriv file in my sync folder, which has been saved in Scrivener 2.8 on the desktop, and am still having Phil's issue.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:42 pm Post

Really weird.
But as usual, there is either a perfectly simple explanation, something you have done or not done, but which you momentarily have forgotten, or there is some bonkus with the app. Have you tested deleting and re-installing the iOS app?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

ph
phil.lunt
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:13 pm Post

lunk wrote:Have you tested deleting and re-installing the iOS app?

Yep. No difference.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:22 pm Post

Hi -- last night I had several Projects which converted fine as far as the new Scrivener Windows was concerned, but got the same incompatibility alert as you people have been seeing. Many more converted fine, were compatible. All were synced in the normal way to my iPad 2, which with the latest Apple release 9.3.3 really likes Scrivener iOS.

I discovered what seemed to be the problem in the not-quite-converted projects, and put up a message right away in the Scrivener Windows bug area, hoping support would pick up on it -- soon I'm sure. So here are the problems and fixes I found:

1. In some past we could use direct links to web pages in Resources -- they're not offered anymore, and at least the latest Scrivener Windows takes a literal forever to open them -- you will have to wait minutes, and with several false finishes. Once you have the web page sully loaded, you can click the link at the bottom, to open it in your normal web browser -- be sure to do this. Then Trash the item, via Shift-Delete. Then without touching it, thus restarting the process, Empty Trash, which is available on the Project Menu. Then copying the url from your browser, Import Web page, choosing for best results I think PDF from Webkit. Now you will have a safe Resource which also works offline, but carries the link also so you can open the original when connected.

You'll have to do this for each 'web link direct'; Resource you have, but then Scrivener iOS will like the Project, after a few minutes online to be sure Dropbox has transferred it. Unless....

2.The other thing which can cause rejection I am pretty sure, is also pretty wierd. This is to have a Scrivener item with an unusual font in it. In my case this was a very strange handwriting font, Jabana Alt Extra Extended Light, for heaven's sake. Not sure how that ever got in the project, but whatever the reason, the cure is to select All in the Scrivener item, and change the font to something more normal.

With both these fixes done as appropriate, plus a little wait to let the updates flow through the internet. all of my projects in trial opened fine and work fine in Scrivener iOS.

Which is simply great itself, comfortable, as you probably know. I hope these fixes get you on the road to comfortably using it. The item in Windows bugs should get the converter to be more robust when the team can get to it.

Regards,
Clive

kt
ktabb

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:35 pm Post

Hi everybody,

I just solved my problem by re-saving the file with a new name in the sync folder.

Thanks so much for the attention to this and THANK YOU FOR THE APP! It's so gorgeous.

Katie

ph
phil.lunt

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:53 pm Post

Cheers for those pointers, Clive. I was wondering if it would be something like that but wasn't sure where to start. I'll have a play around...

ph
phil.lunt

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:54 pm Post

ktabb wrote:Hi everybody,

I just solved my problem by re-saving the file with a new name in the sync folder.

Thanks so much for the attention to this and THANK YOU FOR THE APP! It's so gorgeous.

Katie

I already tried that. In my case it didn't work.

ph
phil.lunt

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 pm Post

Fixed it. Seems the issue was weblinks. Simply selected all text, in Scriv For Windows, right-clicked and removed links. Saved, opened iPad version, synced and voilà! All is fine with the world :D

ri
richardstephens

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:56 am Post

I think hope I'm in the right place to try to settle this problem. I've been using the desktop Scrivner for years and before the iOS version came out I was able to use another App to work on my Scrivner projects. I thought this new app would be the answer to my dreams. But I'm getting very strange reaction trying to import a Scrivner project from dropbox. I keep getting an error message saying that I have an unsupported project file format and that I should try importing it with iTunes. I don't have any of my Scrivner project saved on iTunes and I wouldn't even know how to begin to do that. I'm obviously doing something wrong but I am unable to figure out what it is.
Can anyone explain to me how to get my Scrivner projects in dropbox to open in this new Scrivner app?
Thank you
Richard Stephens
Majaelrayo, Guadalajara, Spain

Me
Megan M.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:13 am Post

Hi Richard,

I wrote some step-by-step instructions (with screenshots) on how to get a Scrivener project on a desktop synced to the iOS app here: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=35108&start=15#p217129

Hope this helps!

Br
Brandelan
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:16 am Post

I kept getting this error on multiple projects. I'm going from Windows to iOS. What fixed it for me was just picking a document in the project, typing in it (I just added a period to the end of the last sentence), then saved it again. After that, I just synced on iOS, and was then able to open the project.

bc
bcook13
Platform: Windows

Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:05 pm Post

Yep, same worked for me as I had the same issue...

ad
adhdork

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:44 pm Post

I was having issues opening Scrivener project files on my iPad that were updated on a Win10 Desktop.

These project files were created and edited on both PC and iOS desktops via a synced Dropbox folder. I don't have access to my MBP, so I thought I'd give the app a try by updating the files on my PC - no dice. Still "Unsupported..."

Changing the project name, folders, re-syncing - nothing worked.

---

My Solution:

Step 1: Unlink Dropbox from the App.

Step 2: On your Desktop, group desired Scrivener project files into a folder placed up a level in the ".../Dropbox/App" folder - NOT the ".../Dropbox/App/Scrivener" folder. This will prevent your iPad from hanging up on syncing copies of copies of copies of project files ;)

Step 3: Back to your iPad: Sync Dropbox to the suggested folder ("...Dropbox/App/Scrivener").

Step 4: On your iPad, create a project named "Test" and save to Dropbox.

Step 5: Refresh the Sync (refresh symbol in the upper right).

Step 6: On your Desktop, open the project named "Test."

Step 7: On your PC, File > Import and select the desired Scrivener project folder. Save :)

Step 8: On your iPad: Refresh the Sync and open the project named "Test."

Step 9: You Win!
Working to make interaction and experiences with products or services better, my amazing wife, and our rescue pups :)

Donations accepted: https://www.paypal.me/majorbydesign

tr
treegrlPNW
Platform: Windows

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:17 pm Post

None of the suggestions worked for me, but using Save As finally worked!! Now my project will open on my Ios Scriv.
I kept getting the same error message on my phone:
"Unsupported Project File Format" even after performing all the actions suggested:
made sure that I copied my .scriv files using Dropbox, NOT the Scriv laptop Sync feature,
made sure I had the most recent version of Scriv on my Windows laptop,
made sure I didn't have any hidden .scrivx files hidden in my .scriv project,
made sure the sync was complete and that no files were cut off in the middle of a sync...
nothing worked.

After scouring more forums, I found the suggestion: make sure you Save As...I have no idea why this would make a difference...but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try, So on my laptop, I chose Save As and renamed my project. I deleted from Dropbox the old project that would not open, and copied the newly named project folder, synced my ios Scriv, and it finally worked!!