File not compatible... "Unsupported Project File Format""

ph
phil.lunt
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:44 pm Post

I use Scrivener on OSX, Windows and, now, iOS. Just fired up the iOS version, synced with Dropbox without any problems and it's picked up my Scriv projects. When trying to open them, though, I get the incompatible message. No probs: fired up Scriv for Windows (SfW), which is what I use most of the time nowadays, freshly updated to the latest version, and saved off as a new file version. Went onto the ipad, synced, new files appeared and... still incompatible :/

As a test, I made a new file in SfW, synced everything and that one 'did' open on the iPad with no problems so what am I missing??
(Admittedly, haven't had a chance to go through all the documentation as yet, was just wondering if I was missing something obvious...)

Cheers all!

p.s. SO happy it's now on iOS, though. Love it!
Last edited by phil.lunt on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:48 pm Post

You'll need to update your desktop versions to 2.8 for macOS and 1.9.5 for Windows. Use Scrivener > Check for Updates on macOS and Help > Check for Updates on Windows, or download the installer directly from our website. Once you've got the updated versions running, they should open your iOS projects without issue.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

de
derick

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:49 pm Post

Incidentally you can open a file that has been changed on iOS with Scrivener for Mac 2.7 and it will open fine but you won't see the changes.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=35131

ph
phil.lunt

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:51 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:You'll need to update your desktop versions to 2.8 for macOS and 1.9.5 for Windows...

Already did that, yesterday. It's what I meant when I said
phil.lunt wrote:...freshly updated to the latest version...
;)

Also, the problem is with my SfW files not opening in iOS, not the other way around... Sorry if that wasn't clear.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:56 pm Post

Sorry, I must've glazed over! So the incompatible message is when trying to open the project on the iOS version? I'd double-check that the dropbox sync has completely finished for all the projects from the desktop. If not all the pieces of a project have completed uploading to the server, they won't be there for downloading to iOS, and the project would be incompatible. Given the way that Dropbox uploads individual files at a time, you could easily have ended up with some projects completely synced but others still with missing pieces.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

kt
ktabb
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:57 pm Post

I'm having the same issue, also with having updated to OS X 2.8. And my files say they are all completely synced.

ph
phil.lunt

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:06 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:So the incompatible message is when trying to open the project on the iOS version?

That's right. The actual message is "Unsupported project file format" with the body text claiming it's from an older version of Scriv and suggesting I update it in the latest version of Scriv for Mac or Windows. Which I've already done.

The files are definitely synced with Dropbox. Fully uploaded from my PC.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:06 pm Post

... and you are not using the "File -> Sync to.. External folder" command? You are using "Save as..."?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

ph
phil.lunt

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:12 pm Post

lunk wrote:... and you are not using the "File -> Sync to.. External folder" command? You are using "Save as..."?

Nope, only just noticed that. I've been using the regular "Save" function which then syncs with Dropbox.

Using the standard "Save" function has worked perfectly with the test file I set up... Just not with my older, and more established, project files.

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:17 pm Post

phil.lunt wrote:Just not with my older, and more established, project files.

And those files open perfectly in 2.8? Have you tested to Save as... with a new name in your "sync"-folder?
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

ph
phil.lunt

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:19 pm Post

lunk wrote:
phil.lunt wrote:Just not with my older, and more established, project files.

And those files open perfectly in 2.8? Have you tested to Save as... with a new name in your "sync"-folder?

As I said, I'm doing this in the latest version of Scrivener for Windows, which they open fine in and, yes, I've tried saving with a new filename to test. Still isn't working.

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:22 pm Post

Could you fix a screen shot? To show what it looks like?

You have done what Megan describes? viewtopic.php?f=53&t=35108&start=15#p217129

ph
phil.lunt

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:27 pm Post

lunk wrote:Could you fix a screen shot? To show what it looks like?

You have done what Megan describes? http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... 15#p217129

I've done what Megan describes. Setup was fairly straightforward, to be fair.

File 20-07-2016, 20 26 46.png
File 20-07-2016, 20 26 46.png (115.72 KiB) Viewed 1553 times

Just to reiterate - the files have been updated to be worked on in the latest version of Scrivener for Windows and then "Saved As..." new versions.

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:30 pm Post

From that dialog it does seem like you are trying to access older project files. Could there be a mix of new and old file formats in the Dropbox folder which is confusing the iOS app?

ph
phil.lunt

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:37 pm Post

lunk wrote:From that dialog it does seem like you are trying to access older project files. Could there be a mix of new and old file formats in the Dropbox folder which is confusing the iOS app?

There really shouldn't be. I deleted the old files, which had been converted to 'backup' files, anyway. All the files there are the new files, saved off as new from the latest version of Scriv for Windows.