Turning MacOS Notifications for Scrivener's Dropboz Updates

re
reepicheep
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:30 pm Post

Loving Scrivener on my iOS devices. Hating Dropbox telling me on my Mac when I do something on those devices. Is there a way to turn those messages off? Can't see anything in System or Dropbox Preferences or in Notifications Preferences. I really do not want to see all those popping up on my Mac screen anytime I touch an iOS project.
Techie details in case I forget

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:36 pm Post

Hi, again... :)

The Dropbox icon on the Mac, choose settings (gear wheel), Preferences, on the first tab you have Show Client Messages. :)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm Post

Glad you're liking it! Why would you not want those notifications, though? If they didn't appear and you carried on working on your Mac project without clicking on the update button, you would end up with sync conflicts.

Oh wait, sorry, I think I misunderstood the question: do you mean the notifications that come up from Dropbox itself, and not the window that appears in Scrivener for Mac when you click back on the project? If you mean the Dropbox notifications, you can click on the Dropbox icon in the toolbar, then click on the gear icon in the bottom-right of the popover that appears and click "Preferences...". Then deselect "Show desktop notifications" in the "General" pane of the Dropbox preferences.

All the best,
Keith

P.S. Beaten by lunk - thanks lunk! (It's called "Show desktop notifications" in my version, but I might need to update.)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

re
reepicheep

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:41 pm Post

lunk wrote:Hi, again... :)
:-)

lunk wrote:The Dropbox icon on the Mac, choose settings (gear wheel), Preferences, on the first tab you have Show Client Messages. :)
Did you mean "Show desktop notifications"? That's all I see on the General pane from Dropbox's tool bar icon.

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:42 pm Post

Probably. I guessed at what a translation from my native language would be :P
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

re
reepicheep

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:45 pm Post

KB wrote:Glad you're liking it! …
Oh wait, sorry, I think I misunderstood the question: do you mean the notifications that come up from Dropbox itself, …
Thems the crtters I want to sqaush.

KB wrote:P.S. Beaten by lunk - thanks lunk! (It's called "Show desktop notifications" in my version, but I might need to update.)
After all the beatings I gave you over the wilderness years someone else taking up the mantle is probably better … for us both.

I only installed Dropbox on my Mac at 09:04 this morning — having downloaded Scrivener from the App Store at 09:03. I think it's lunk who might need to update. ;-)

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:51 pm Post

reepicheep wrote:
KB wrote:P.S. Beaten by lunk - thanks lunk! (It's called "Show desktop notifications" in my version, but I might need to update.)
After all the beatings I gave you over the wilderness years someone else taking up the mantle is probably better … for us both.

I only installed Dropbox on my Mac at 09:04 this morning — having downloaded Scrivener from the App Store at 09:03. I think it's lunk who might need to update. ;-)

More likely the Dropbox company have hired the same kind of translators Keith used when translating into German at an earlier stage. I actually had to google what the hell it meant. If I translate it literally it says "Show Client Messages". I guess the "client" refer to the Dropbox app, and not some kind of legal client.

It does sound like something a solicitor could have as an option – to see messages from his clients or not. :)