Well, here's what I've done with no results

iv
ivanpope

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:45 pm Post

lunk wrote:Yes! And then you can delete the old version, if you don't want to keep it as an extra backup.

Just testing this at the moment!

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:08 pm Post

So, the last entry in your screenshot of the Dropbox/apps/Scrivener folder shows a .scrivx file hanging out on its own. Is there a duplicate copy of that in the corresponding .scriv folder? If so, delete the .scrivx file. If not, move it back; it needs to be inside the .scriv folder.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Ph
Phonse
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:40 pm Post

I've been experiencing the same issue. I just followed the "save as" advice and saved the project to drop box and then moved it into the apps/scrivener folder. I then did a sync on my iPad and boom the project is there. iPhone same response. My concern is that I had not moved my project into that drop box apps/scrivener folder to begin with. I used the sync function from within my desktop version. All of the files moved over and were visible within the drop box app on both my iPad and iPhone just not from the projects menu in the Scrivener IOS app itself. I'm going to go back into the Dropbox folder and delete all the earlier files just leaving the lone file created when I did the save as move. Fortunately it's a relatively new manuscript and its backs up. I'm curious to see once I remove those files and then make an edit or ten in the project that is now clearly visible in the scrivener app if those edits and the new project will sync or will I have erased that version of my project. God I hope this works. I wrote an entire novel with o e eye to the App Store hoping for this day. Now the second novel has a deadline and I have the app in hand. Hope these bugs work themselves out. I'll post an update after deleting the older synced files and editing in the new one.

Happy writing all.

Ph
Phonse

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:17 pm Post

Half way home, I guess.
I made some edits. Added a paragraph and then hit sync on the iPad. I then opened the Scrivener app on my iPhone and it informed me changes had been made. Good sign. It asked if I wanted to sync. I did and the edits showed up fine on the iPhone. So, I went to the office and did a sync on the desktop. It ran through the sync but said some items and some folders did not sync. In fact nothing did. All the desktop sync did was recreate the older files that were there when I ran the sync this morning, before trying the "save as" function. So now I know the app works and I'm even more thrilled to have it. But it isn't going to do me any good if I can't get the iMac I to the game. Obviously I have some setting on the iMac wrong as it is the only apple device not playing ball. It's an early 2009 iMac running El Capitan 10.11.5 and I'm running Scrivener 2.7. Okay I see that is outdated and am now updating to 2.8. Hmmmm. The updated version is now there and I have sync with mobile devices as an option. Okay. I just made a fast change on the iPhone and did the sync with mobile devices on my desktop and pow, all the changes made earlier on the iPad and the one just made on the phone are now on the desktop too. I could delete this, but I'm sure someone out there can learn from my mistake which seems to have been running an older version Scrivener. Don't care what the cause, just want to thank you folks for pointing me to the "save as" option which got the ball rolling.

Happy Scrivener for IOS day from Canada.

Yes.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:36 pm Post

Phonse - It sounds like you may have been using the "Sync with External Folder" option in the desktop version? This is for creating an external copy of selected text documents from a given project for use in programs other than Scrivener, so that you could for instance edit a file on your Android device, then sync those changes back into your Scrivener project. It is not used for syncing with Scrivener on iOS--indeed, there's really very little you'd need to do within Scrivener on the desktop to sync with iOS, as most of the work is done automatically.

All you need to do is have your Scrivener projects stored within the Dropbox folder that you linked from the iOS version. This could be the default /Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener location or something else you selected from the set up prompt in Scrivener on iOS. (From your post, I believe yours is /Apps/Scrivener.) As Robert mentioned above, the Scrivener "project" is really a folder of files; on Windows it shows as a folder with a .scriv ending and on macOS it shows as a single file with a .scriv ending. Once it's in the Dropbox folder, Dropbox will automatically start syncing it with the online server, and you can watch the Dropbox icon in the menu bar (macOS) or taskbar (Win) to see when it finishes syncing and has the green checkmark. At that point, just tap the Sync icon in Scrivener on iOS to download the projects from the server to the device. (The first time is the longest; after that, Scrivener's just going to be syncing the changed files within each project; it will include internal files as well as your edited text documents, but it's typically still going to be a much faster process.)

From that point, when you edit on iOS and then sync iOS, Dropbox will automatically download the changes from the server to your desktop, so when you next open the project on macOS, the mobile changes will be incorporated as part of the process without you needing to do anything. If you left the project open when you worked and synced on iOS, clicking back into the project window should prompt you to sync the changes. If it does not, and you know there are changes you've synced from iOS, make sure that Dropbox on your desktop has finished syncing, then try File > Sync > with Mobile Devices to "manually" pull in the changes. If no changes are found, double-check you've successfully synced from the iOS device.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ph
Phonse

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:13 pm Post

Thank you Jennifer
Everything seems fine now, but for some reason when I did the sync to mobile device from the desktop, it created a new draft folder in the string in Dropbox. That folder which appears imidiately following apps and before scrivener in the string is showing the individual components from the project. What I am left with in Dropbox is a string apps/draft/scrivener/draft where the first draft folder shows 9 .rtf files and the second draft folder in the string just shows the project name and is a scrivener project file. It's the one that was created when I did the "save as" and first saved the project to Dropbox that way. Now I'm not sure which draft folder the mobile devices and iMac are working from so I guess I'll just leave both in place and hope I don't create and confusion for the app or myself.

Phonse

iv
ivanpope

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:59 pm Post

An update on my situation.
I solved what was becoming an obvious failure to sync issue. How? I closed the Dropbox app. The moment (and I mean the moment) I did this, every Scrivener project that I'd put in the Scrivener Dropbox folder was instantly visible in the app. Hooray!
Now I'm sorting out what I want to have available out of the hundreds of projects and versions that popped up. But it's great to see it all in there, I am now officially impressed (after the five year wait!).
I'll be at my favourite cafe tomorrow doing a bit of writing!
Thanks for everyone's input, and I'm sure this won't be the end of it.
And congratulations Keith - I think a lot of people thought it would never happen, but I did.