Well, here's what I've done with no results

iv
ivanpope

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:09 pm Post

OK, I've been using Scriivener for many years and have a lot of projects in it. I use Scrivener for Windows.
Bought Scrivener iOS this morning and set it up.
I store all my Scrivener work on Dropbox anyway, but decided to use the default folder settings, Apps/Scivener.
So, I just moved all my Scrivener folders into the new Scrivener/iOS folder. This means I have two folders (Fiction/Non-fiction) in Scrivener iOS folder with projects in separate folders beneath that. (At this point I'd like to say that when the Tutorial etc says 'Move your Scrivener project ...' I'm not clear whether this means the folder or just the .scriv file. Hmm)
Now I can see all my Scrivener folders and contents in Dropbox on my iPad using the Dropbox app. I can also see the same files in the same places on the Desktop. So I'm sure they're moved.
So I've Synced in Scrivener iOS several times (it sure takes a long time).
But there is no sign whatsoever of any of my folders or Scriv files in Scrivener iOS
I then created a new Project from Scrivener iOS called Test1. I can see this listed and I can see this in Dropbox from all points. So I guess Scrivener knows and is using the correct Dropbox account.
Then, because I was wondering whether Scrivener iOS needed to see a .scriv file at the top folder level, I moved an existing .scriv file into the Apps/Scrivener folder. But Scrivener iOS can't see this file and is not listing it.
I have tried Sync from Windows desktop Scrivener, but I don't think this is relevant.
Also tried saving the .scriv file that I moved. No sign of it.
So what am I missing? I see lots of people saying, hey, just move the projects into the folder. I don't think there is any rocket science, but as far as my install is concerned I have no Scrivener projects.
Thanks for any help.

Br
Brammy
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:12 pm Post

As a control experiment, on your desktop Dropbox folder, try moving (or copying) a scrivener file to the root of the /apps/scrivener folder. At least this way we can eliminate if it's an issue with subfolders.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:16 pm Post

You keep refering to a ".scriv" file, but that's a folder (if you're using Windows... it looks like a "file" on a Mac however). Are you sure you're moving the entire .scriv folder and all its contents, or just the .scrivx file? If you're using a Mac, then disregard my post entirely.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:19 pm Post

@ivanpope:

You refer to very different names. apps/scrivener and scrivener/ios and then fiction/non-fiction? It would be nice with a screenshot of your Dropbox folders in Finder, and also one showing the setup of your Dropbox folders on the iOS device.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

iv
ivanpope

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:00 pm Post

OK, good point above - I was moving the .scriv folder that looks like a file! So now I've moved the actualy Scrivener file to the top level to see if that does anything (god help us if that's what I have to do). :-)
As for using different terminology - I was trying to be precise as there's a lot of terminology flying around (for example, everyone says 'move your Scrivener project to the Dropbox folder' without specifying what a 'Scrivener project' actually consists of.
(Sorry if this is mudddly)

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:06 pm Post

The only reason to move anything is if 1) you didn't previously have your Scrivener projects in the Dropbox folder, or 2) if you like me don't want to download every project I have ever worked on in Scrivener. Otherwise you could just point your iOS Scrivener to your current /Dropbox/Scrivener folder and download all the projects.

I simply made a subfolder – /Dropbox/Scrivener projects/Active projects to which I save my current projects.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

iv
ivanpope

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:13 pm Post

OK, for clarity here's a pic of my Dropbox Apps/Scrivener folder

On having to move files in Dropbox - my Scrivener projects were split between two folders so I thought I may as well move those both to a new master folder, and just used the default option.
Attachments
dropbox folder.JPG
dropbox folder.JPG (66.81 KiB) Viewed 1300 times

iv
ivanpope

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:17 pm Post

And here is what I see from the iOS end.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (117.08 KiB) Viewed 1295 times

rdale

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:19 pm Post

ivanpope wrote:OK, good point above - I was moving the .scriv folder that looks like a file! So now I've moved the actualy Scrivener file to the top level to see if that does anything (god help us if that's what I have to do). :-)
As for using different terminology - I was trying to be precise as there's a lot of terminology flying around (for example, everyone says 'move your Scrivener project to the Dropbox folder' without specifying what a 'Scrivener project' actually consists of.
(Sorry if this is mudddly)

Let's define what "project" means then.

On my Windows computer, my project looks like this:
Folder named "BestSelling Novel.scriv"
In that folder, there is a "BestSelling Novel.scrivx" file
There are other folders in the .scriv folder, including a "Files" folder, which contains other files and folders.

The project is all of that, the .scriv folder and all its contents. It's like and old-fashioned library. A library contains a card catalog and the books referred to by the catalog, as well as helpful things like tables, chairs, lamps, fire extinguishers, etc. Your Scrivener project's .scriv folder is the entire library, and all its contents must be present for any version of Scrivener work with it. The .scrivx file is like a library's card catalog. The BestSelling Novel.scriv/Files/Docs sub-folder is where the contents of every entry in your binder are stored (like the books on a library's shelves). Other folders contain useful (to Scrivener) information that should always travel with the rest of the project, wherever you put it.

I hope that clears it up. You need the entire project in the Dropbox folder that the iOS version of Scrivener has set up.

rdale

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 pm Post

ivanpope wrote:OK, for clarity here's a pic of my Dropbox Apps/Scrivener folder

On having to move files in Dropbox - my Scrivener projects were split between two folders so I thought I may as well move those both to a new master folder, and just used the default option.

As I just posted (after you posted this screen shot), the .scrivx file is not the entirety of your project. You must copy/move the entire .scriv folder (which contains that .scrivx file) into Dropbox -> Apps -> Scrivener. Be sure to let your computer upload all of the project before syncing on your iOS device.

The Windows file browser is labeling the .scrivx file as a "Scrivener project", but it's more accurate to think of it as a part of a "scrivener project". If it labeled a single book from a library as "Library book", it wouldn't mean that the book contained the entirety of a library, but rather that it belonged to the library.

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:25 pm Post

Or to be absolutely sure what you are doing:

Open the projects in the desktop Scrivener and SAVE them from there into your ../Dropbox/apps/Scrivener folder

iv
ivanpope

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:30 pm Post

So, put the .scriv folders into the appropriate Dropbox folder that Scrivener is pointed at.
I've done that - at least wth a test file.

I have to admit that initially I put all my writing folders into the Dropbox folder, which meant that all the .scriv folders were at least one folder further down the hierarchy. I don't think anywhere it was made clear that the .scriv folders had to be at 'root' level, if indeed that is the case. I have developed a more complex filing system over the years.
Now I'm going to remove all the stuff I put in the Dropbox folder and just put a few .scriv folders back and see what happens.

I'm also experiencing 8 minute Sync times from the iOS Scrivener, which may have something to do with the amount of stuff I dropped in there!

iv
ivanpope

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:37 pm Post

lunk wrote:Or to be absolutely sure what you are doing:

Open the projects in the desktop Scrivener and SAVE them from there into your ../Dropbox/apps/Scrivener folder

You mean Save As ... to create a new version?

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:39 pm Post

Yes! And then you can delete the old version, if you don't want to keep it as an extra backup.

iv
ivanpope

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:42 pm Post

rdale wrote:As I just posted (after you posted this screen shot), the .scrivx file is not the entirety of your project. You must copy/move the entire .scriv folder (which contains that .scrivx file) into Dropbox -> Apps -> Scrivener. Be sure to let your computer upload all of the project before syncing on your iOS device.

Yes, I get this - I am putting the .scriv folders into the App/Scrivener folder. That contains everything.