Tips on Syncing iOS with Desktop Scrivener

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:51 pm Post

Theoros wrote:Hmm, okay, thanks. That's $20 I'll never get back.

???? :|

I'm just trying to ensure that you get the most eyeballs possible looking at your issue.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Bo
BookBoy
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:54 pm Post

Can you create a new project in the iOS version (in dropbox) and access it on the desktop?

Also, the previous suggestion about a new thread was a useful one - it will help other people see the problem and contribute suggestions if they know how to overcome it.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:17 pm Post

Theoros wrote:Hmm, okay, thanks. That's $20 I'll never get back.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. Apple will give you a refund if you are not happy, but hopefully we can get you up and running.

Is that the exact error - "Error 4"? Not 400 and something? This error message is coming from the Dropbox servers. It is, as the error says, a generic "No file on server" error. I'm not sure why you would be getting this, however, given that Scrivener should never try to download a file that never exists. Please try the following:

1. Open Settings.app.

2. Load the Scrivener pane of the Settings. (If this pane is blank, quit Settings app by double-tapping on the Home button and swiping up on the Settings app, then launch it again - there's a bug in iOS whereby the settings for newly-installed apps do not show up in Settings until it is relaunched.)

3. Tap "Reset Scrivener".

4. Turn on "Reset Dropbox Sync Cache".

5. Quit Scrivener by double-tapping on the Home key and swiping up on Scrivener.

6. Relaunch Scrivener.

7. Sync.

This will force Scrivener to do a complete refresh of the sync, checking all local files against what is online rather than just syncing what has changed, rebuilding the local sync cache.

Hopefully this will clear out the gremlins, but let us know if not, because I've never seen this error before and it didn't come up once from the 600+ beta testers (but then, no matter how many beta testers you have, there are always new problems on release day!).

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ch
Christian Baum

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:21 pm Post

Hi everyone,

don't want to interrupt, but the thread suggests general info on syncing.

I always read about handling Scrivener iOS. In short: You gotta sync before loading a project (maybe you have changed things in between on your desktop version), and you gotta sync before you quit Scrivener iOS, so you can go on working on your desktop.

BUT: Do I also have to "sync" anything when working with the desktop version? I've worked with Dropbox for quite a while. I saved projects in a Dropbox folder, waited for it to upload, then (after download from Dropbox) loaded it on another computer and so on. Never thought about syncing.

Now why is there a sync button in the desktop version 2.8? When I load a project that's on Dropbox, what exactly do I load? Do I have to hit the sync button after loading? Or do I hit it after saving? That would be strange. Everybody talks about syncing the iOS version (which I understand), but I wasn't able to find anything about the sync button in the desktop version. Can anybody enlighten me?

Best regards,

Christian

Me
Megan M.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:25 pm Post

It looks like Rdale and Happy Writer have some great step-by-step instructions for getting started with syncing. However, I thought I'd add some screenshots for getting a project set up from a desktop to an iPhone (assuming one already has Dropbox installed on all their devices). Even though I'm using an iPhone, these screenshots should work with the iPad version as well. I hope these help clear up some of the confusion in the forums.

Step 1: Open your Scrivener project and choose File > Save As...
Step 1--Open Project and %22Save As...%22.jpg
Step 1--Open Project and %22Save As...%22.jpg (464.15 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

Step 2: Place your Scrivener project in a designated folder in Dropbox. I created an "Apps" folder and then a "Scrivener" subfolder (which is the default on iOS), but it can be anything you like.
Step 2--Put Project in Dropbox Folder.jpeg
Step 2--Put Project in Dropbox Folder.jpeg (481.71 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

Step 3: Make sure your project has completed syncing with Dropbox before moving to the iOS app. Also, be sure to close the project on your desktop to avoid any syncing problems.
Step 3--Project is Synced.jpeg
Step 3--Project is Synced.jpeg (435.54 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

Step 4: Launch the iOS app and tap "Edit", and then tap the gear icon
Image Image

Step 5: Tap "Link Dropbox" and allow Scrivener to access your folders in your Dropbox.
Image Image

Step 6: Point the iOS app to the folder where you saved your Scrivener project in Dropbox. Since I used the default "Apps/Scrivener", I then just tapped "Done." If you named your folders differently, you'll have to tap "Other" and select the correct folder from Dropbox before tapping "Done."

Step 7: All done! You should now see your Scrivener project in the iOS app

Last step: After making any changes, make sure you sync them to Dropbox by tapping the sync icon. If you want to see your changes on your computer, they should be there! Just remember to close the iOS app before opening your Scrivener project on your desktop.

I really hope these help! Thanks to Keith and the Lit'n'Lat team for a fantastic iOS app! I've had a blast using it so far :D

Me
Megan M.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:32 pm Post

Christian Baum wrote:Now why is there a sync button in the desktop version 2.8? When I load a project that's on Dropbox, what exactly do I load? Do I have to hit the sync button after loading? Or do I hit it after saving? That would be strange. Everybody talks about syncing the iOS version (which I understand), but I wasn't able to find anything about the sync button in the desktop version. Can anybody enlighten me?

It's so funny you say that. I noticed it too -- from playing around, I've never had to click on the "Mobile Sync" button on the desktop version. When I sync changes I've made on the iOS version, they update the project that is saved on Dropbox, so that, when I open the project on my Mac, the changes appear right there. And when I make changes on my Mac, the changes are synced right to Dropbox, since that is where my project is stored. So it is strange that version 2.8 is needed to use the iOS app.

Ch
Christian Baum

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:00 pm Post

Thanks. So I actually did NOT overlook anything - the desktop version sync button has really never been mentioned or explained?

Well, maybe I should RTFM... Hope V2.8 mentions it. Really don't get this button for the desktop version.

Best regards,

Christian

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:12 pm Post

The sync button is so you can check for possible changes if your project happened to be left open on the desktop while you were away working on the iDevice.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ch
Christian Baum

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:21 pm Post

Thanks! I see, now that makes sense, although it's behaviour we would all have tried to avoid like hell. I'd rather not rely on that, but then, I'm not a pro writer (or no writer at all for that matter), so I never leave projects open and computers running while on the road...

Best regards,

Christian

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:33 pm Post

This post is GREATLY appreciated. It should be included in the Desktop Scrivener Help. When you search for Dropbox under the Help menu, nothing comes up.

I just assumed Scrivener for OSX would sync with Dropbox without the need for an app, the way the iOS version does. This helped me find the right solution. Thank you!

Sa
Salieri16

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:52 pm Post

Forgive the ignorance. Megan's instructions are excellent. Thanks so much. Does this mean that to keep synced with the iPhone app, we have to be on wifi to access the project from Dropbox?

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:54 pm Post

Salieri16 wrote:Does this mean that to keep synced with the iPhone app, we have to be on wifi to access the project from Dropbox?

It depends on your settings, if you allow the Scrivener app to update over the mobile net.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

st
sthngrl

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:57 pm Post

OH Thank you Megan, your pics and tutorial make this so easy... to sync Scrivener (Mac & iOS) without this I would be completely lost. I finally got Scrivener to sync with my Dropbox for both all my devices! :D

Me
Megan M.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:09 pm Post

lunk wrote:
Salieri16 wrote:Does this mean that to keep synced with the iPhone app, we have to be on wifi to access the project from Dropbox?

It depends on your settings, if you allow the Scrivener app to update over the mobile net.

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is no. You can access and edit your project without wifi even though it is stored in Dropbox. You just need wifi in order for the changes to sync between devices.

sthngrl wrote:OH Thank you Megan, your pics and tutorial make this so easy... to sync Scrivener (Mac & iOS) without this I would be completely lost. I finally got Scrivener to sync with my Dropbox for both all my devices! :D

Glad I could help! :D

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:11 pm Post

Megan M. wrote:Glad I could help! :D

Just to let you know, I refer to your instructions in most answers now. Really could instructions! :)