Error opening (Mac OS X) Scrivener project in iOS device

Ki
KillerWhale
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:07 pm Post

Okay, rdale, thanks a LOT for that trick: it worked. I don't know what was wonky with my older project but creating a new one and importing the old content fixed it. I am definitely keeping that trick in mind in case the same issue happens.

Keith, is that a common issue or are you interested in the original buggy project?

Ju
JuryDuty
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:18 pm Post

OK so I'm having the same issues. I've upgraded my desktop and iOS versions to the latest and when I try to open ANY of my Scrivener files, I get this error on my desktop. This is before I tried to sync anything with Dropbox.

When I move one of these files to Dropbox, and try to open in iOS, I get this error message in iOS:

Invalid project.
The project cannot be opened because it does not contain a valid binder structure file.
OK

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:28 pm Post

Have you tried to do what the text in the warning box tells you to do? ctrl-click and so on?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ki
KillerWhale

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:32 pm Post

Okay, this is all extremely frustrating.
I have renamed my project (because of the various versions) and trashed the old one from the desktop computer because it wasn't needed anymore, and Scriv iOS just went all crazy when trying to sync. It keeps trying to recreate the deleted one, but ends up creating a corrupt file, blocking sync. So I tried deleting everything directly from iOS Scriv while keeping a backup of my project, but trying to restore that backup then gave me an error saying that "the file Settings does not exist" even though the project worked fine five minutes ago. I don't want to yet re-import everything AGAIN in another project. Of course, I wait for it all to sync thoroughly before doing anything.

I re-deleted everything again, typed that post, thought "what the hell", trying re-syncing one last time, and for some reason now it works...

Frankly, this feels incredibly wonky. This makes me very afraid that I might lose important work at some point, I feel like I cannot trust the software and use it in a production environment. I know bugs happen but frankly, this feels like it has not been tested thoroughly. So, for the time being, I will just leave the app to collect dust and not use it. I'm very disappointed.

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:45 pm Post

The thing that makes it wonky is usually that people make one or both of two mistakes.

1) They use "Sync with external folder" in the File menu, and thus create a lot of rtf-files instead of the Scrivener project which iOS Scrivener expects.
Solution: Use "Save as..." instead.

2) When they move the projects to Dropbox, they drag the project from Finder and dump it on the Dropbox app(!), which creates zip-files.
Solution: In Finder, choose File-New folder and create the folder you want for sharing projects with the iDevice in the Dropbox folder in Finder. Then you either drag and drop the Scrivener projects within Finder from their current location to the folder you just made, or you do as in 1).

And some do both. Then all hell brake loose... Megan M wrote this beautiful post, explaining all the steps in detail:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=35108&start=15#p217129
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ki
KillerWhale

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:06 pm Post

Haven't done any of those two things. I read the instructions and followed them. I only did two things in the app folder (default setting) from the Finder: renaming a project and deleting another. The app should really be able to live with that.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:30 pm Post

Please see if this steps in this new posting don't fix your problem:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=35143&p=217263#p217263

I've already reported last night in Windows bugs, but the problem may easiy extend to Mac conversions. I'm going to gin up a test file as Keith suggests, and post that also in the bug section, as it will help them understand the veracity.

Kind regards,
Clive