iPad air, mini or pro?

beppe
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 am Post

Sorry, but I couldn't find a better thread where to post this.
Any advice on what iPad is best suited for Scrivener iOS?
I perused some comments about using the iPad for writing and some people say that the iPad pro is really an overkill, and that its keyboard is not so comfortable as it should. When I saw the ad I thought the iPad pro was the right tool for Scrivener, but is it so?

Am
Amcmo

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 am Post

I have the 12.9 Pro and love it. The Apple Keyboard is great once you get used to the limited travel (1/2 hour for me).

A coupe of reviewers like a 3rd party keyboard/case (not logitech, can't remember at the moment)

That said, know a couple of friends who use the smaller pro and find that ideal for them. Horses for courses.

I find the iPad mini a little small for anything but quick notes.

si
sidderke

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:50 am Post

It's something you should go and try in the store, but in my opinion, I have an older iPad Air 1. Scrivener seems to work fast (I just had it for a couple of hours) and just in general I think the normal Air is a perfect size. I mean this for a lot of stuff.

I think the Pro is *really* unwieldy big when I see and hold it in the store. It seems more like a laptop in size and bulk, if you look at how small Macbook Airs and new Macbooks are. And it's very expensive.
I think the Mini is pretty small, and goes more towards having bigger iPhone-area.
I always thought the 9.7" iPad, not only for scrivener, but in general, was like a perfect size. Very light and small to take with you, but it has about the size of a small sheet of paper, which is how I like to use a tablet for reading etc.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:31 am Post

We have all three sizes in the family, but I love the12" Pro. The bigger screen is fantastic.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

is
istara

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:04 pm Post

I have the iPad Air (original model) with a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard case.

So far Scrivener seems 100% slick and responsive and the writing area is more than ample.

jw
jwdenzel

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:43 pm Post

I have an iPad mini. While not as slick as the other models, I am so far finding it to be just fine. I use the virtual keyboard (split) and type with my thumbs. It's not as bad as you think.

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:59 pm Post

jwdenzel wrote:I have an iPad mini. While not as slick as the other models, I am so far finding it to be just fine. I use the virtual keyboard (split) and type with my thumbs. It's not as bad as you think.

I use a Mini with an attached Logitech keyboard. It's pretty natural--and nice and small for carrying.

th
thanxal

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:22 pm Post

beppe wrote:Sorry, but I couldn't find a better thread where to post this.
Any advice on what iPad is best suited for Scrivener iOS?
I perused some comments about using the iPad for writing and some people say that the iPad pro is really an overkill, and that its keyboard is not so comfortable as it should. When I saw the ad I thought the iPad pro was the right tool for Scrivener, but is it so?

I second the 12.9" iPad Pro. I have used a mini, a 9.7" iPad Air 2 and neither come close to a laptop replacement. My 12.9" iPad Pro has now completely replaced my laptop with this morning's release of Scrviener for iOS. (Note: I haven't used the 9.7" Pro). The Apple Pencil and Apple Smart Keyboard really make the difference. Both are indispensible .

Me
MerodakBaladan

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:50 pm Post

I've had a full-size, which I traded in for a mini. I love it because it is hyper portable, fits in my pants pocket. I carry it everywhere.

kewms

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:52 pm Post

What's your use case?

I have no plans to replace my desktop iMac, so I chose the iPad mini for maximum portability. I love it. Perfect for notetaking at conferences and in interviews, light enough to take anywhere, big enough for reasonable screen real estate and accommodates an almost-full-sized external keyboard.

But I wouldn't use it as my primary writing machine. If that's what you're looking for, you should consider at least a full-sized iPad and possible a Pro.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Redfox

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:51 pm Post

I second Katherine's question - what's your use case?

I currently have the new(ish) 12" Macbook plus an iPhone 5S, so for me the "best" iPad is something in-between those two devices. Even an iPad Air weighs nearly as much as my Macbook once you add an external keyboard (790g vs 920g), which makes the iPad Mini the obvious choice for me. It helps that I have small hands, so I don't have a problem typing on the reduced keyboard - but that could be a total deal-breaker for someone else.

I've owned the standard-sized iPad in several of its incarnations and been very happy with it, and I still think it's the best all-round size for a tablet newbie. Since we're specifically talking Scrivener, though, I think finding an external keyboard that you're comfortable with is crucial. I know some folks are happy typing with their thumbs but it's not exactly efficient!
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

xiamenese

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:36 pm Post

I have an iPad Air 2, with a Logitech keyboard/cover. Since I work all the time with one document in the editor and one in an expanded quick reference window, I think I'd find anything smaller too cramped; also, even though my hands are not that big, I do find my Logitech keyboard a bit difficult to use. So, if I had the wherewithal, I'd go for the big iPod Pro.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ChrisRosser

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:41 pm Post

Here's my thoughts on the matter:

IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (103.41 KiB) Viewed 2802 times

This is my mobile rig sitting in front of my docked work computer.

iPad mini with a cheap, but surprisingly good knock-off Bluetooth keyboard. Scrivener is completely usable on the 8 inch screen size.

That said, I am intrigued by the Pro line, in particular pencil support. When I upgrade this iPad, I may go all in and get the 12.9 Pro. With Scrivener and iOS 9/10 it's reached the point where it's good enough to be my daily portable driver.
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:

Website | Scrivener Articles
Amazon | Twitter | Facebook

fl
flttrainer

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:13 am Post

I am using the 9.7" iPad Pro with an  Pencil. I love the Pro. I was using a Mini 3 until the 9.7" Pro came out; my wife took the Mini. I miss the small portability of the Mini, but I used Scrivener when I was waiting on my truck to be washed today and it worked perfectly. BTW, I have tried more styluses than I can count and the  Pencil is the best bar none.

na
nadinbrzezinski

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:43 am Post

I got the pro.

I admit, not because of scrivener but topo maps. I need to be able to read those suckers at fire lines and the mini is not large enough. For writing I do recommend an external keyboard. I am using an ancient blue tooth Mac keyboard
The past if prologue...