Scrivener for Apple Watch

markfasano
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:57 am Post

scottj wrote: Say you're driving and have a brainwave. What's better, to pull off the road, find a safe place to park, pull out your phone, and call up an app so you can make your notation? Or tell yourself there's no time, you'll miss your appointment, you're sure you'll remember it, continue on your journey, and forget it utterly?

That's easy. Learn to drive with your knees while you type.

scottj wrote:plowing into a school bus and maiming a score of little tykes?

Can only speak for myself, of course, but if I hit a school bus it'd be me with the shit end of the stick, not the little tykes ...

Jo
JohnTWolff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:32 am Post

KB wrote:We don't have a custom URL scheme right now. The problem in Scrivener is that if another app passes it data, Scrivener doesn't know where to put it because of the project-based system, so that's a technical issue I'm pondering on.

May I suggest a schema?

While the Scrivener Scratch Pad works, it seems to work only while Scrivener is a running app. Many times inspiration hits, but Scrivener is not open. The steps to capture are multiple clicks long.

However, Omnigroup's Omnifocus faces the same challenges as Scrivener -- capturing and noting inspirations. In that, they succeed. Painlessly.

Omnifocus allows for an OS service that, when invoked by keyboard sequence, captures tasks in a window, passes them to application Inbox, and then is dismissible. It's second nature to me to add random To Do tasks to OF's project and task database, filing into the correct project later, when the app is open.

In intellectual effect, the Inbox lives above any of the projects containing tasks. Organization is deferred, but inspiration is captured.

The same metaphor might be applied to Scrivener. Above the Manuscript or Draft in the Binder could be another metaphor (the Inbox, the Foolscap, the Shoebox, etc.) where captured scraps of information would live until assigned into a specific project as a Scrivening.

It's a thought.
Reporter: "Sir, to what do you owe your tremendous success?"
Churchill: "I had an unfair advantage; I could write an English sentence."

bl
blogueiro

Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:08 am Post

JohnTWolff wrote:Omnigroup's Omnifocus faces the same challenges as Scrivener -- capturing and noting inspirations. In that, they succeed. Painlessly. Omnifocus allows for an OS service that, when invoked by keyboard sequence, captures tasks in a window, passes them to application Inbox, and then is dismissible. It's second nature to me to add random To Do tasks to OF's project and task database, [b]filing into the correct project later, when the app is open.

Things, from AgileBits, works in much the same way, but I use it mostly for capturing "to-dos" on the fly - "remember the milk" is the classic example. For thoughts having to do with writing, on the other hand - fleeting images, metaphors, scraps of dialogue - I use Drafts, from AgileTortoise. Things and Drafts are both available on Apple Watch (though of course you can't use a keyboard sequence on the watch).

I'm always getting AgileBits and AgileTortoise confused. Literature and Latte is a hokey name (sorry, Keith) but at least it's memorable and distinctive.

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:33 am Post

Waking up this thread again, because with Apple's next-gen watch, allow users to use cursive writing to 'write' out comments, I do think there is room, for some kind of writing app that L&L could make. Just throwing it out there for anyone who watched Apple's Event yesterday, announcing the next gen watch.

I could see it, mainly as a way to jot random thoughts via scratchpad, and then have some way to input that into the scrivener.

My gut tells me that, 4-5 gens down the road, the apple watch might even replace the iPhone, with the ability to send and receive calls without the need of a tethered phone.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:08 am Post

yosimiti wrote:with the ability to send and receive calls without the need of a tethered phone.
True ... it'll synch with your brain implant.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jo
Jordi Mora

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:45 am Post

blogueiro wrote:Things, from AgileBits, works in much the same way, but I use it mostly for capturing "to-dos" on the fly - "remember the milk" is the classic example. For thoughts having to do with writing, on the other hand - fleeting images, metaphors, scraps of dialogue - I use Drafts, from AgileTortoise. Things and Drafts are both available on Apple Watch (though of course you can't use a keyboard sequence on the watch).

I'm always getting AgileBits and AgileTortoise confused. Literature and Latte is a hokey name (sorry, Keith) but at least it's memorable and distinctive.

Things isn't Agile, but it's Cultured (Code) :mrgreen:

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:17 pm Post

Things is fantastic! There has not been a day where I haven't used it in my life since the time I bought it.

Couple Gens' down the road, I'm gonna eventually shelve out money for on Apple watch, and when that happens it's first thing I'm gonna put on it. Unless of course, Scrivener for Apple Watch hasn't been made by then.

gr

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:29 pm Post

The truly compelling thing about Scrivener for watchOS will be that your days of forgetting great ideas while you are swimming your laps or snorkeling in the deep end will be over. Series 2 Apple Watch and Scrivener for watchOS together are a wet writer's dream come true!
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

bl
blogueiro

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:10 am Post

gr wrote:The truly compelling thing about Scrivener for watchOS will be that your days of forgetting great ideas while you are swimming your laps or snorkeling in the deep end will be over. Series 2 Apple Watch and Scrivener for watchOS together are a wet writer's dream come true!

And with GPS you won't get lost among the twists and turns of the plot.