Scrivener for Apple Watch

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:54 pm Post

Sup scriv folk,

Running on too little sleep and too much work, and thus am using forum as a means to chill, and think about cool things. But I was thinking if there'd be a way to integrate the Apple watch into the mix and make some kind of really simplified version of Scrivener for the Apple Watch now that Scrivener for iOS will be out. Anybody have any good ideas over how this could be done?

Let's suppose you're out on a jog and you quickly think of an idea and really want to write it down. The only thing you have is your watch, which you can still dictate to. So I'm thinking maybe a scrivener app that gives you barebone access to each of your scrivenings so that you can add an idea (perhaps as an additional scrivening or a comment to a scrivening) via voice dictation, shove it in, and properly analyze it when you're at home at the computer or have an iPhone handy.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:07 pm Post

No. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ca
Cath

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:36 pm Post

Scrivener on the Apple Watch, the dictation notes thing could work, hmmmm

Lmao

Let's all give Keith and his team a break. Let's leave our new feature requests until the day after we get our hands on the shiny new scrivener for iOS app. Lol

dn
dnaknitter
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:03 am Post

I'm at an outdoor concert and laughing out loud. People around me are giving me strange looks.

markfasano
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:14 pm Post

dnaknitter wrote:I'm at an outdoor concert and laughing out loud. People around me are giving me strange looks.

Seriously. Poor Keith. If he walked on water they'd say now let's see you swim.

cyberskier

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:55 pm Post

You could always use the Drafts app to dictate into your watch, and then (after opening the text on your iPhone) have a Drafts action to send your text into the Scrivener scratch pad. I've done this before, but can't remember if you can customize the location of the scratch pad files, or if I set up a Hazel rule to automatically move my text files into the default location.

wi
windy71

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 am Post

Do we have a release date yet for the apple watch Scrivener? I can't tell the time but i would buy a watch for this ;-)

yosimiti

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:28 am Post

See Keith? It's not just myself who thinks it'll be a great idea. I too would purchase a watch if Scrivener were on it.

I think this company has done an excellent job https://culturedcode.com/things/ I don't work for them; I'm just using their app to show that it is possible to have software (yes it's task management, but it involves writing) that can be extended onto the Apple watch.

I also think there should definitely be an app for tvOS. It would the first of its kind; think about it, writing on your 50" oled...wow, that'd be a dream.

I'm gonna start another thread about tvOS and see what people think.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:35 am Post

Not sure if serious. :\
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

yosimiti

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:11 pm Post

In every joke, there's an element of truth, that makes it funny, sir. And if it's not funny, then it's just not serious enough to be properly funny.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:32 pm Post

The funniest part is all those tales claiming that people suddenly get a lot of good ideas, doing something else, and that those ideas will vanish in an instant if they are not written down.
Who ever heard of such a thing? A lot of people suddenly getting intelligent ideas?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

yosimiti

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:17 pm Post

Insight can come from anywhere, anytime, anyplace. The tricky part is whether you have the tools capable of capturing it when you need to.

lunk

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:26 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:Insight can come from anywhere, anytime, anyplace...

... and most of the time no one is around to catch it.

Maybe someone should write i film script about it? It could be called ... "Insight man"? :)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

ma
matsgz

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:15 pm Post

Sorry, but I'm being driven to the competition for lack of an Apple Watch application. Don't make me switch to the new Scriwatch app, now in beta, that also is said to make a decent cappuccino.. What's your ETA?
Scribo ergo sum

bl
blogueiro

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:51 pm Post

cyberskier wrote:You could always use the Drafts app to dictate into your watch, and then (after opening the text on your iPhone) have a Drafts action to send your text into the Scrivener scratch pad. I've done this before, but can't remember if you can customize the location of the scratch pad files, or if I set up a Hazel rule to automatically move my text files into the default location.

I use Drafts on Apple Watch all the time. To save Keith from having to develop a comparable Scrivener product on the Watch, I thought Drafts themselves might be willing to design some kind of link to Scrivener for iOS. Thus, I wrote to Agile Tortoise (the Drafts people) and they replied: "Check with [Scrivener's] support team if they offer support for URL scheme integration. If they point you to documentation, let me know and I will help you construct an action for Drafts and add it to our directory."

So Keith, could you please give me some "documentation" for "URL scheme integration" that I can pass along to Drafts? It'll be the next best thing to having Scrivener on my Watch - and yes, you skeptics out there, it is critical for some of us to capture those fleeting ideas. This can be done far more easily on a watch than on a phone buried deep in a pocket or backpack.

Thanks!