Getting Ready for iOS

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:10 pm Post

They can go in the same folder, or you can put each of them in a sub-folder of the one your iOS device syncs to ... on your iPad/iPhone they will appear exactly the same way.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

re
rebecca

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:25 pm Post

After thinking about it, I decided to just put each file in its own folder and be done with it. Also, I've started using Hazel to color code all files for a project, so I can see them, no matter where they are.

Hopefully, I'm now ready for IOS DAY!!! :D

Thanks for the quick answers. You've both been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Ah
Ahab

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:38 pm Post

I currently use Dropbox for zipped backups of active Scrivener projects. When I go iOS and make myself a neat little Scrivener/Projects folder on Dropbox, and move my active projects to that from their current folder, where, then, do my backups go? Other than the nightly Time Machine to an external HD, and the weekly SuperDuper to a different external HD. Still to the Backups folder on Dropbox? Feels a bit . . . I dunno. Chancy? Eggs in boxes and all that?

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:08 pm Post

My backups are zipped and go to iCloud Disk, where I've got plenty of space. I've never actually had to access a backup, mind you.

Before this move, my live projects were in Cubbies and the backups were on Dropbox, but I was running into space problems there.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Redfox
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:45 am Post

Ahab wrote:I currently use Dropbox for zipped backups of active Scrivener projects. When I go iOS and make myself a neat little Scrivener/Projects folder on Dropbox, and move my active projects to that from their current folder, where, then, do my backups go? Other than the nightly Time Machine to an external HD, and the weekly SuperDuper to a different external HD. Still to the Backups folder on Dropbox? Feels a bit . . . I dunno. Chancy? Eggs in boxes and all that?

Even if your project is in Dropbox, Scrivener will back up to its default location on your hard drive, e.g. /Users/<yourname>/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Backups, whenever you close a project or select File > Back Up > Back Up Now. If you want extra backups independent of Dropbox, you could use 'Back Up To' in Scrivener for Mac to save a copy to iCloud - as I understand it, the problem with iCloud is one of syncing individual files within a changing project, not of file storage per se.

I'm not sure how you would redundantly back up if iOS is your main platform, as I'm still waiting for the app to land. I rather feel that iOS + cloud is never going to be a bulletproof platform, though; for me what appeals is the convenience of having my project with me everywhere, not abandoning my Macbook altogether!
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:30 am Post

I’m not sure how you would redundantly back up if iOS is your main platform, as I’m still waiting for the app to land.

There is a button to export a project to a .zip file, and from there you can send it to stuff (Mail, AirDrop, other apps that take zips).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles