What will you do with Scrivener for IOS that you couldn't do before?

ChrisRosser
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:29 pm Post

Get on with my life.

No, seriously. I've been stymied by indecision about my choice of platform (Mac vs Linux) and workflow (Scrivener vs pure Markdown). I'm leaning back to Apple (Linux desktop has been a disappointment for writing), but don't really want to buy a current laptop - those prices (AUD) are criminal for such out-dated hardware. Scrivener for iOS means I'll have a portable writing set up with my iPad mini that seamlessly works with my projects.
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:

Website | Scrivener Articles
Amazon | Twitter | Facebook

Ah
Ahab

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 am Post

Rationalize the purchase of an iPad.

markfasano
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:04 pm Post

dnaknitter wrote:What will you do with Scrivener for IOS that you couldn't do before?

Write while driving, of course.

ka
katfeete
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:21 pm Post

Well... I have a full-time job, a preschooler, a webcomic (which I script in Scrivener), a novel, a chronic pain condition, and no laptop (just couldn't justify something that could become a very expensive brick via a single spilled sippy cup). Pretty much every minute when I have no immediate demands and a functional brain needs to be potential writing time. Stuck at the doctor's office? Write. At the park and kidlet has found a friend with a ball? Write. Pasta's on to boil? Write. I can use Evernote... but a bad experience with an unsynced note and a keyboard-pounding toddler wiping out an hour's worth of work has made me gunshy: Evernote, as tech support very sympathetically and nicely explained, isn't really set up for what I'm trying to do with it. And with Evernote and everything else I have to transfer my work to Scrivener later on anyway.

I have been haunting this site for the past year at least waiting for the iOS version because it's just going to make my life so much easier and free up more of those precious, precious minutes. Wednesday can't come fast enough!
Sunset Grill, the webcomic: This is our future. Have a drink.
kat dancing: writing resources, personal blog.

xiamenese

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:41 pm Post

markfasano wrote:
dnaknitter wrote:What will you do with Scrivener for IOS that you couldn't do before?

Write while driving, of course.

A very good friend of mine in China was the first person I knew who had an iPhone. I asked her what she thought of it. She said it was good, but it was a bit inconvenient for texting while driving! I was also much later being driven at 120 Kph along a busy and pot-holed motorway in Sichuan Province when the driver was completely focussed on the screen of his tablet, trying to find the music he wanted to play.

God help us if they start using Scrivener while driving!

:D

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Magnus

Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:16 pm Post

And now you can. Full screen text with external keyboard. (Regular Apple BT, the one that comes with iMac's, has very good ergonomy in relation to weight/size - it's like writing on a good laptop keyboard.)

fr
fredster

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:25 pm Post

Given the nature of the research I'm doing, I can't give up a Mac. I need to make notes in PDF's and be able to search through all their text for keywords. A few months ago I purchased a 13 inch Macbook Pro from eBay and it really does the job well. For me, the advantage of iOS is that if I don't have my laptop, I can at least make basic edits to the files and add ideas that can sync. To be able to edit pre-existing files that sync back to the original makes the app worth $20.

lunk

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:44 pm Post

I use Papers3 for that, on my iPad Pro. But the Mac is better for serious writing (I don't have an external keyboard for the iPad, no need when I have an MBP).
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

br
brett

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:44 pm Post

kewms wrote:I just spent an entire week at a conference using an iPad Mini w/external Zagg keyboard and iOS Scrivener (beta) as my primary system. It's the first device I've found that's non-intrusive enough to replace paper for interviewing, and I've been using the combination for general notetaking for several months.

I took my MBA along as a backup, but barely used it.

Katherine

Ahab wrote:What will you do with Scrivener for IOS that you couldn't do before?

Rationalize the purchase of an iPad.

I had the same experience as Katherine at a two-week conference this month. I brought my MacBook Pro retina and my old iPad mini retina mostly as a just-in-case backup. Wound up using the mini by far the most, both for reading (it was a writer's conference where we were reading lots of stories) and, with the help of my cheap little refurb Logitech keys to go keyboard, for writing. I used the iOScrivener beta. Reading was much handier on the iPad, of course but even the writing was fine, and the battery life much better. When I got home, per Ahab, I traded in the mini and also used a coupon and a sale to bag a new 9.7" iPad Pro 128 GB for $400US. I'm using it now with my old Apple BT keyboard and incase origami case. Thanks to the new Scrivener app and iOS 9 and soon 10, and the gorgeous screen on the new pro, I expect this to become my primary writing system. I much prefer writing with it to my MacBook Pro. And Apple should be paying Keith a bounty for all the new iPads it's going to sell!

yosimiti

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:43 pm Post

Hopefully, work on my essays, and study generally, during very long 1.5 hour commutes on public transit to my university (and not have to carry my big old 7-year-old MacBook around).

I have a belkin Bluetooth keyboard/iPod setup.

br
brett

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:29 am Post

yosimiti wrote:Hopefully, work on my essays, and study generally, during very long 1.5 hour commutes on public transit to my university (and not have to carry my big old 7-year-old MacBook around)..

good point. I've used the iPad Pro on my train commute (thankfully much shorter than yours!), and it's definitely wieldier than my MBP -- especially on those days when I have to stand rather than sit. Of course then I use it for reading, not writing.