Scrivener for iOS - When?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:14 am Post

nadinbrzezinski wrote:Two ways to mostly avoid that. Close apps when not in use...

According to Apple that happens automatically. Apps are closed and cleared from memory when not used, so you don't have to close them manually.

This rumour/"advice" about having to manually close apps has been circulating for years, but is still wrong.

What IS important is not to empty the batteries, or run them to low. Old phones had batteries that should be emptied and fully recharged from time to time. Apples batteries work the other way round. Keep them as charged as possible and you keep them happy.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

lunk

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:17 am Post

Source: Apple is one of them...

http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

It has to do with the way lithium-ion batteries function. If you read more specialized sources you get a better understanding.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

lunk

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:20 am Post

As for the rumor about having to close unused apps, the source is Apple:

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/10/should-yo ... ps-answer/

re
reepicheep

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:21 am Post

lunk wrote:What IS important is not to empty the batteries, or run them to low. Old phones had batteries that should be emptied and fully recharged from time to time. Apples batteries work the other way round. Keep them as charged as possible and you keep them happy.
Apple used to recommend (albeit in small print but I had it first hand from a genius in the New York Central Park store) that their batteries should be "conditioned" once a month. This meant discharging the battery completely causing the device to shut off and then one waited at least 5 hours before recharging it. That advice has disappeared from their web site and manuals.

My own experience of conditioning is that the devices (I've had an iPad 2 from its launch and various iPhone 4S and 5S) exhibit no battery issues at all. Other people I know with iPhones (including 6S) do experience serious battery life degradation because they never conditioned the battery. Their usage behaviour is radically different to mine. They play games for hours, which results in their device become hot to the touch. Those games prevent screen saver mode from switching in so the device runs hot for hours — particularly problematic when they fall asleep playing a game and it continues to run through the night.

Recently my from-launch iPad 2 had to be replaced. (I damaged the case dinging the volume control and cracking the screen.) When I swapped it out for a replacement the genius complemented me on the care I'd given the battery. My replacement iPad 2 is being given the same treatment and is not showing any battery issues at all.
Techie details in case I forget

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

lunk

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:47 am Post

reepicheep wrote:They play games for hours, which results in their device become hot to the touch.

Heat is bad for a lithium-in battery, as they describe in the article I linked to. Discharging completely may help in calibrating the software that monitors battery capacity, but it doesn't prolong battery life.

I have a colleague who only uses his MBP connected to an Apple Thunderbolt display. After three years of intense use the battery capacity is still 99%. My MBP, who is run more than half the time as a free laptop, is down to about 90% max capacity (5897 mAh out of a initial max of 6600 mAh) after three years daily use.

re
reepicheep

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:35 am Post

lunk wrote:
reepicheep wrote:They play games for hours, which results in their device become hot to the touch.

Heat is bad for a lithium-in battery, as they describe in the article I linked to.
Indubitably.

lunk wrote:Discharging completely may help in calibrating the software that monitors battery capacity, but it doesn't prolong battery life.
No but batteries have a maximum number of duty cycles (essentially counted as how many times they have gone completely flat. It varies from Apple device to device. However, not doing a discharge can lull the user into a false sense of security thinking they have cheated the duty cycle monster..

lunk wrote:I have a colleague who only uses his MBP connected to an Apple Thunderbolt display. After three years of intense use the battery capacity is still 99%. My MBP, who is run more than half the time as a free laptop, is down to about 90% max capacity (5897 mAh out of a initial max of 6600 mAh) after three years daily use.
I killed my first two Apple batteries in my MBP (an early Intel device) by keeping it connected to the mains while working at home or in the office. They replaced the first one under some generic fault swap but I had to pay for the second. After being admonished by the genius in New York for never conditioning the battery I became more diligent about charging/discharging for the after-market battery I now have but after some eight years that appears to have reached its own natural end of life. My MBP languishes under my desk rather unappreciated since I acquired my iPad 2. The mix of Mac minis (I've two), iPad and iPhone are sufficent for my needs.

For all that there needs to be some clarity (from Apple and other manufacturers) about battery usage. Hiding truth away in obscure small print in user guides or toward the end of general notes that only say "each device differs" helps none of us utilise our kit to its potential.
Techie details in case I forget

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:28 am Post

markfasano wrote:
KB wrote: Nope, a better analogy would be that we've made some delicious bread, we've sliced it up, and we're selling slices to anyone who wants one - but coeliacs can't eat the bread so want us to make a different loaf. :)

Well, they could if they'd take their medication, but fair enough.

You're thinking those who are lactose intolerant. My wife and kids both have Celiac's Disease, which is an auto-immune disease wherein the gluten protein damages the cilia in the intestines. There's no medication to take to mitigate it -- you have to avoid gluten.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

ma
matsgz

Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:52 am Post

lunk wrote:
nadinbrzezinski wrote:Two ways to mostly avoid that. Close apps when not in use...

According to Apple that happens automatically. Apps are closed and cleared from memory when not used, so you don't have to close them manually.

This rumour/"advice" about having to manually close apps has been circulating for years, but is still wrong.

Is that so? I've also read that this is so. But in my experience, or if it is only in my imagination, *some* programs – esp. the map or GPS ones – running in the background, are in fact draining the battery.
Scribo ergo sum

lunk

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:58 am Post

They do, and so does mail apps, if you allow them to check for new mail when inactive. But they do that whether open or not because you've told them to, in settings

te
teddyhh

Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:50 pm Post

how did this forum about Scrivener for iOS turned into something about battery life of ipads/iphones? :D

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:02 pm Post

how did this forum about Scrivener for iOS turned into something about battery life of ipads/iphones? :D

It is what happens when people are idle and like to meander and, of course, dream ever so much of Scrivener for iOS to play with in their hands.

lunk

Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:17 pm Post

teddyhh wrote:how did this forum about Scrivener for iOS turned into something about battery life of ipads/iphones? :D

My iPad runs on battery... :P

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:32 am Post

KB wrote:I decree that, if people really want an official way of referring to our iOS version of Scrivener (which will simply be "Scrivener" in the App Store)

hmm...I wondered where the novel writing had gone.... ;)

christianf
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:58 am Post

KB wrote:I decree that, if people really want an official way of referring to our iOS version of Scrivener (which will simply be "Scrivener" in the App Store), you should call it:

"Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, iPad, iPhone Plus, iPhone, iPod - all devices running iOS 9.0 and above really, the One True Writing App, Hallowed Be Its Name, which is Literature and Latte Limited's Scrivener for iPad Pro, etc."

Got it?

Schön :)

Ge
Geezer
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:35 pm Post

Final word: tomorrow