Scrivener for iOS - When?

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:46 am Post

KB wrote:Boom! And Apple has approved Scrivener for iOS. Release date is Wednesday 20th July.

Total Zowie, Keith!!!

You must be one happy fellow...and we will be, that is sure.

All the best on this,
Clive

Redfox
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:57 am Post

KB wrote:Boom! And Apple has approved Scrivener for iOS. Release date is Wednesday 20th July.

"Numfar, do the dance of joy!"

Charging my iPad as we speak. And preparing to stalk the Apple website, as I intend to buy an iPhone 7 when it debuts in September.
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:09 pm Post

Awesome! I'm dancing around my chair, doing tho 'Carleton' (yes, it's a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reference, god I'm old)! Thanks so much Keith for all your work!

So here's two things I think Keith and his posse should try to do next (assuming there are no major bug fixes for Scrivener for iOS, which I'm figuring there probably will be -- no offence to Keith -- that's just an aspect of life I've come to grudgingly accept: you just can't find gold, without filtering through dirt):

1. Scrivener for Android. It's been mentioned in other posts, but considering that many folk out there have Android phones, it just seems fitting. There's also the fact that you can use a Bluetooth mouse with android tablets and phones -- something you cannot as of yet (without jailbreaking at least) use with iPad, iPhones, and iPods. This makes editing written documents much easier and natural. And Scrivener would just be awesome.

2. A much-improved website, as it looks like it's from something 5-6 years ago. You guys have money. And will have a lot more when Scriv iOS comes out. Hire someone fancy!

That's about it. Thanks Keith for creating what will likely be the app of the decade.
Last edited by yosimiti on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:15 pm Post

The Windows team are keen to do the Android version (I'm not doing that), but they have major updates to do for the Windows version first, so I doubt they will start work on it until next year. It is in the long-term plan, though.

An updated website is already in-hand, and will be in place later in the year.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

yosimiti

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:31 pm Post

Honestly, I think there probably should eventually be a third branch to your company to deal with Linux, ChromeOS and Android, as they are all are sisters to each other, and correlate in terms of programming with each other. Considering now that Chromebooks can run Android apps, it just seems strange your Windows team is in charge of the task.

Cassady

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:34 pm Post

I bow in you and the Team's general direction.

And a huge congrats.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:01 pm Post

Thanks, Cassady!

yosmiti - I'm not sure you quite understand how small a company we are, or how much money we'd require to hire teams of coders. :) Let alone the task of finding good coders - look how well it went trying to find an iOS coder!) We don't even have offices... When we become as big as Microsoft, though, we'll let you know. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

yosimiti

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:08 pm Post

So I take it you guys aren't rich yet from all the boatloads of money you've made from your app? I find that really hard to believe. Scrivener for iOS will be probably one of the most downloaded apps in writing app history, so my hope is that you eventually hire some more coders as I think to not step up the game with an Android port, is really like eating bread without first slicing it (not sure if that analogy works but I'm running on two hours of sleep so please forgive me).

You could go down the 'open-source' route for the Android port...but that I guess that might screw and complicate things as far as making a profit.

AND ANOTHER THING....ADVERTISE YOUR IOS RELEASE DATE ON YOUR ACTUAL WEBSITE. People should know yo!

AND ANOTHER THING TO ADD TO THE OTHER THING....there really should be a email newsletter for Scrivener folk to have a subscription to. I'd certainly attach my email to it, had I the option. This way you can maximize the number of people knowing of new developments of your product. Asking people to look on your website, is too, too passive. Why? Because people are lazy. And people are writers. But people are not lazy writers. Hence Scrivener. God I need some sleep...gonna hit the sack. Peace y'all!

re
reepicheep

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:13 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:AND ANOTHER THING....ADVERTISE YOUR IOS RELEASE DATE ON YOUR ACTUAL WEBSITE. People should know yo!
Err their home page consists of a iPhone with nothing but the number 6. Think that can be said to be announcing the release date.

yosimiti wrote:AND ANOTHER THING TO ADD TO THE OTHER THING....there really should be a email newsletter for Scrivener folk to have a subscription to.
That's funny best there is an email newsletter. A quote from it with KB making noises of the submission for review by App Store has been repeated several times above.

As to the passivity stuff well … don't forget that their Facebook news feed has been covering the release date pretty much all week.
Techie details in case I forget

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

narrsd

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:59 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:So I take it you guys aren't rich yet...etc.

I suspect you want to think about scale along with some other things here, and cool some jets.

- much better if the 'whole world' does _not_ land on Scrivener iOS the first day, surely. The word in the great echoing chambers of the net will get around soon enough, and in the meantime there is at least some chance to clear any surprise issues, and help those needing.

- money and its uses is strictly Keith et al's province. Just imagine what three _years_, external jobbers, lost effort on core upgrades, etc. has cost, to bring iOS to reality -- all invested up front, from nobody's angels.

Some respect is due.

wi
windy71

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:27 pm Post

It never ceases to amaze me that people think something they could never do themselves is so easy for someone else to do. There's a very good reason no one has come up with a good iPad app that rivals scrivener for writing a book, and likewise for Android tablets. It takes a lot of time, attention to detail, and you cannot afford a 'bug' that might lose years of someones work.

yosimiti

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:09 pm Post

- money and its uses is strictly Keith et al's province. Just imagine what three _years_, external jobbers, lost effort on core upgrades, etc. has cost, to bring iOS to reality -- all invested up front, from nobody's angels.

Some respect is due.

Maybe, maybe. This isn't about disrespect, but rather about talking on behalf of a billion people out there with android devices (the many of which simply cannot afford Windows or Mac computers -- I was once part of this community). I'm still not convinced that an Android port could not be sped up through some means. Android is REALLY WHERE Scrivener can shine on the simple fact that you can use a Bluetooth mouse on any Android tablet. It makes editing a document, far, far more natural and much more akin to a desktop experience. It makes the versatility of an app like Scrivener all the more potent. SO...well that's all I gotta say.

narrsd

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:Maybe, maybe...

Well, I appreciate where you feel you're coming from.

Just a practical point that makes my head throb on this, and that will also be my last.

You mention 'billions' of users -- who run hundreds at least exploding old versions of Android, none of them compatible, none of them safe from exploits, none of them free of significant bugs, almost none of them ever capable of being updated, all of this blindly ignored by device manufacturers.

It's a nightmare Google is still trying to figure out how to handle, and the last thing I would think of is that it's a place to construct a delicate, demanding, and necessarily very smooth to operate piece of software, as Scrivener is.

The truth is that it's a hard, hard world out there, sometimes, and the better software designers really have to think very carefully about what could be worth the effort. Someday, maybe with a lot more ai involved in fundamentals, we might have a better situation where things could be plugged together as in your imagination, but I am afraid that is not today, or tomorrow.

In sf young adult stories like Star Wars latest, yes, maybe ;)

yosimiti

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:37 pm Post

The truth is that it's a hard, hard world out there, sometimes, and the better software designers really have to think very carefully about what could be worth the effort.

As of right now, Scrivener is available only to those who have access, and to some extent, can afford Windows and Apple devices. But what about those who simply cannot?

Yes, the Android market is a royal mess, but I'm thinking about people in developing countries and such. For many, Android, is really their only realistic option to communicate with the world cause it's just so darn cheap.

And I think that if they had access to Scrivener on their machines, it'd make the world a better place. Truly.

I realize Scrivener is not a charity; it's a company trying to make a profit from a product it produces. Fine. It doesn't have to be so elite, though. Make an Android port. Save the cheerleader. (yes, Heroes reference when the show was actually good).

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:40 pm Post

All research indicates that Android developers do not make as much as iOS developers. There may be more Android devices out there, but when it comes to turning apps into profit, iOS is by far the better platform. Everything I hear also says that the Mac is more profitable than iOS.

As for rich? We do pretty well for a small company. I actually own a house now (well, apart from the remaining mortgage), and my own car, something I never could have done before Scrivener. :) If we wanted, we could afford to pay for offices and hire some more people - but not a team of coders. We do a lot better than many of our competitors from what I can tell, but we're not Google. There are other considerations, anyway: most of us are scattered around the globe, so offices would be pointless for the most part. And one of the things I love about doing this is that I *don't* work in an office. I don't want to become a manager any more than I already am. Besides, most of the bigger software companies have investors and either break even or run at a loss in the hope that they will one day get to sell big. We may keep things modest, but we turn a profit, we can pay our staff, and are able to sustain the things we produce and our lives. We're going to have to sell many thousands of copies of the iOS version just to break even, but we'll do that, and we'll keep moving forward.