Scrivener for iOS - When?

wi
windy71
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:42 pm Post

Yep, excited not panicking, very much looking forward to having it and waiting for another week or so is no problem (gave a small talk in work last week over the merits of scrivener versus Word et al, people were impressed).

bwkeyboardman
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:00 pm Post

Hi,

I have an ipad mini 3, Windows laptop (with Scrivener for Windows) and use dropbox often . I would love to have a Macbook but need to save $$ for that - soon I hope.

Can the IOS version sync with Windows as it does with the Mac version? I searched for this but couldn't find anything referencing this for sure. I saw something about a new Mac version of Scrivener but nothing referring to a Windows version.

Looking forward to the IOS release!

Thanks!
Regards,
Bill W.
(Scrivener on Windows)

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:12 pm Post

bwkeyboardman wrote:Hi,

I have an ipad mini 3, Windows laptop (with Scrivener for Windows) and use dropbox often . I would love to have a Macbook but need to save $$ for that - soon I hope.

Can the IOS version sync with Windows as it does with the Mac version? I searched for this but couldn't find anything referencing this for sure. I saw something about a new Mac version of Scrivener but nothing referring to a Windows version.

Looking forward to the IOS release!

Thanks!

Yes, according to the June 28 blog entry ---
In my first post about our upcoming iOS version, I thought I’d get some important nuts and bolts out of the way: syncing. Scrivener for iOS syncs with the Mac and Windows versions using Dropbox. Here’s how it works:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=713
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

Ji
JimRac

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:13 pm Post

bwkeyboardman wrote:Can the IOS version sync with Windows as it does with the Mac version?

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=713
I’m just a customer.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:44 pm Post

Indeed, it absolutely supports syncing with Windows! The reason I only mentioned Mac 2.8 is because I'm the Mac and iOS developer, and I had to get the Mac version submitted to the App Store well before our iOS release, so that it goes through Apple's review process and is available to users before the iOS version is released, whereas we have complete control over the release of the Mac and Windows versions on our site. (Users will need to download a free update for Mac and Windows to share projects between platforms.)

We're still making a few last-minute tweaks to the syncing code on Windows, as a couple of new bugs were found, but it will be ready before the iOS launch.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

kewms

Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:07 am Post

KB wrote:We'll be submitting this week, but we won't be releasing until mid next week at the very earliest - it *won't* be set to release as soon as it passes review. We have other things to get in place and we have support staff off that we need back for the release.

Trust me, you all want him to wait for this. I've *seen* what can happen to the support queue when people are away, and that's without throwing a big new release in the middle of it.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

bwkeyboardman

Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:40 am Post

KB wrote:Indeed, it absolutely supports syncing with Windows! The reason I only mentioned Mac 2.8 is because I'm the Mac and iOS developer, and I had to get the Mac version submitted to the App Store well before our iOS release, so that it goes through Apple's review process and is available to users before the iOS version is released, whereas we have complete control over the release of the Mac and Windows versions on our site. (Users will need to download a free update for Mac and Windows to share projects between platforms.)

We're still making a few last-minute tweaks to the syncing code on Windows, as a couple of new bugs were found, but it will be ready before the iOS launch.

All the best,
Keith

Thank you Kieth! You are appreciated.
Regards,
Bill W.
(Scrivener on Windows)

il
ilivetowrite

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:35 pm Post

bwkeyboardman wrote:
KB wrote:Indeed, it absolutely supports syncing with Windows! The reason I only mentioned Mac 2.8 is because I'm the Mac and iOS developer, and I had to get the Mac version submitted to the App Store well before our iOS release, so that it goes through Apple's review process and is available to users before the iOS version is released, whereas we have complete control over the release of the Mac and Windows versions on our site. (Users will need to download a free update for Mac and Windows to share projects between platforms.)

All the best,
Keith

Thank you Kieth! You are appreciated.

Seconded a billion times. This is the best news I've heard all day. I have loved Scrivener for years and have sorely wanted an iOS version of it. I had lost hope with all the troubles finding a developer. Thank you so much Keith!! This makes my day (week, month....) :) <3

th
thanxal

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:41 pm Post

This really is like waiting for Christmas.
(for geeky writers)
(with clearly no social life)
(who are work-a-holics)
Ok. Not like Christmas, but still excited.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:22 pm Post

...in July? :mrgreen:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Pa
Patti

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:52 am Post

We need one of those count-down-to-Christmas-Advent calendars so we can mark off the days!

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:09 am Post

Patti, that is not a bad idea!

Meanwhile:

It's all in Apple's hands now... Although, bear in mind that even if it passes review quickly, we won't be releasing until late next week. If it gets through the review process in under a week, though, you will have Scrivener for iOS in your hands by next weekend...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:22 am Post

As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Redfox

Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:47 pm Post

KB wrote:If it gets through the review process in under a week, though, you will have Scrivener for iOS in your hands by next weekend...

Can't wait! I have next week off to work on my novel (amongst other things), so I'll be downloading the new app as soon as it hits the store :D
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

Th
TheBard
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:55 pm Post

ptram wrote:The only competition I see for Scrivener is Ulysses. And at the moment they only have Daedalus Touch, that is only a reduced set of Ulysses. The same type of syncronization can be made in Scrivener with the External folders - that can also be syncronized with Daedalus via Dropbox.

Paolo

Reconsider Ulysses. The latest generation is quite good. Still like Scrivener though; write in Ulysses and import into Scrivener for editing.