Scrivener for iOS - When?

te
teddyhh
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:28 am Post

Cath wrote:So it's July. I've been faithfully reading the blog posts, every day. Going into the App Store and typing in Scrivener only to get those 'wanna be' writing apps. It's not even the first week in July anymore, so I feel like I've been waiting really, really patiently.

Then I notice iOS has its very own forum thread. So in return to childhood.

Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet.......

I'm with you ;) but it can't be much longer anymore... the app got it's own forum on here... :)

wi
windy71
Platform: Mac

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:09 pm Post

I've been checking the App Store a few times a day for the last few days, MacBook Pro is currently having its screen changed so now would be a superb time for Apple to unleash the Kraken.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:25 pm Post

Just to manage expectations, we haven't yet submitted it to the iOS store. It won't be released this coming week - the plan has always been for the latter half of July.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

wi
windy71

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:19 pm Post

Ahh phew, now I can stop checking, cheers Keith

th
thanxal

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:43 pm Post

KB wrote:Just to manage expectations, we haven't yet submitted it to the iOS store. It won't be released this coming week - the plan has always been for the latter half of July.

All the best,
Keith

I.can.not.wait!

Super excited. I love Scrivener on Mac and have switched to an iPad Pro from a Macbook Pro for all work while traveling. Scrivener for iOS is one less reason to have to lug along a laptop when in the middle of a writing project. My productivity shot up when I first started using Scrivener a few years ago and I can't imagine how much more productive I'll be when I can write anytime with my iPad Pro or iPhone 6 Plus.

te
teddyhh

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:28 pm Post

KB wrote:Just to manage expectations, we haven't yet submitted it to the iOS store. It won't be released this coming week - the plan has always been for the latter half of July.

All the best,
Keith

But don't you have to submit it in the next few days so it can be released this month? Apple needs time to review it ;)

gr

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:17 am Post

All the best, Keith

But the masters of twitter inference that bring you the news are already all over it!

"Literature & Latte, the app's creator, says it plans to submit the iOS [version] to the App Store next week." —Fast Company

And the crowd goes wild.

is
istara

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:33 am Post

Most exciting news story this month!

wi
windy71

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:46 am Post

But don't you have to submit it in the next few days so it can be released this month? Apple needs time to review it ;)[/quote]

Not necessarily, Apple may take a little longer than they would with a simple app but the average turn around on an App review is currently around 2 days, I posted a link to a site that gives a current approximate average a few messages back.

xiamenese

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:28 am Post

Unless my ability to read has gone completely down the drain, my understanding has always been that Keith is talking about submitting to Apple, not release in the App Store. That is entirely in Apple's hands.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Ca
Cath

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:51 am Post

All the best,
Keith

Wait no iOS scrivener this month? Can't see it being up, approved by Apple and ready for purchase this month if it hasn't even been submitted yet. I'm not sure I believe that report. I've never heard anyone praise Apple for there speed in approving apps.

There I was getting all excited that those of us who aren't amoungst the chosen few would finally get our hands on it.

That's depressing.

wi
windy71

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:56 am Post

I think most of Apples concerns are practical ones like is the app a resource hog and will it be trying to monitor your personal data and location, can't see that being an issue.
I doubt they'll be looking for bugs, that's what beta is for, have a look at how many bugs the Scrivener rip offs had and they managed to get through Apples review process.
It'll be worth the wait :-)

si
sidderke

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:49 am Post

Cath wrote:Wait no iOS scrivener this month? Can't see it being up, approved by Apple and ready for purchase this month if it hasn't even been submitted yet. I'm not sure I believe that report. I've never heard anyone praise Apple for there speed in approving apps.

Cath, the report is pretty dependable. Phil Shiller took over the app store about 6-8 months ago, and if you follow any tech podcasts with a lot of the important people in the business (Daring Fireball, Marco, etc. ...) they ALL have said that the app review process has gone way way down in time, and that it used to be up to 2 weeks, and that now it's more like 24-48 hours.
It's not only one report that says this, look it up.

I'm pretty sure if Keith will submit the app this week, I think we will see Scrivener next week. Yes, ultimately this is in Apple's hands and nobody can give cold guarantees, but if you look at how much time nearly all developers say it takes Apple to review your app these days and how much better it got, drammatically, you cannot just ignore that because you "don't believe it". Let's be optimistic ;-) If you look at Keith's response, he's still saying he thinks the app will be out before the end of July.

PS, Keith, screenshots look great. A bit low quality though ;-)

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:49 am Post

I submitted Scrivener 2.8 to the Mac App Store on Friday and it was approved by Sunday (we'll be releasing it later this week). The longest I've ever been held up on the Mac App Store is two weeks, and that was an exceptional circumstance with Apple getting very picky over something because I had (ironically) requested an expedited review after a serious bug got through in the previous update.

We'll be submitting this week, but we won't be releasing until mid next week at the very earliest - it *won't* be set to release as soon as it passes review. We have other things to get in place and we have support staff off that we need back for the release. It's entirely possible that Apple decides to take a long time over the review, in which case it could conceivably be pushed back to August, but they'd have to take more than two weeks for that to happen given that if I submit on Wednesday there are still eighteen days left in July. I really don't think it's time to panic just yet!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

te
teddyhh

Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:03 pm Post

I doubt anyone is panicing :) we're just excited... and now even more... next week sounds awesome!!!! and even if it takes another week then it's still great news! :)