Scrivener for iOS - When?

wi
windy71
Platform: Mac

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:09 pm Post

Hi Keith,

Have you seen an iOS app called "Workflows"? I've been playing with it and its very handy for automating tasks on an iPad/iPhone, I can imagine it being used a lot to draw research into Scrivener once the app is launched.

Best regards

Steve

yosimiti

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:13 pm Post

Love the new forum website, guys. Works on my iPod. Anyways, as my next Apple purchase (an iPad most likely) hinges on the success of Scrivener iOS, I'm gonna get back to the central question that practically everyone in the world wants an answer to. When will Scrivener for iOS come out? It would be nice if there were some timeline posted on your website (if it's already, please ignore this post) about when beta testing will finish and when we'll all be able to get our hands on Keith's new baby.

ma
marcoiac

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:11 am Post

No one can seriously tell you when a beta testing finishes. But no beta testing ever lasted forever, right? So, buy your iPad. You'll be pleased :D

Am
Amcmo

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:56 am Post

As marcoiac said, who can say (other than perhaps Keith) when the beta is likely to finish.

That said,

If you're thinking of buying any tablet and you're a writer, (researcher, student, academic) IMHO, Scrivener is the iOS 'killer app'.

I could own an iPad and justify it on the basis of Scrivener productivity alone.

The other apps are just icing.

yosimiti

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:23 am Post

I am smitten with envy you iOS scriv beta folk! Waaaah. Boo hoo. I want my Scrivy (yup that's what I think iOS scrivener should be called). I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait!!!!!!!

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:57 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:I am smitten with envy you iOS scriv beta folk! Waaaah. Boo hoo. I want my Scrivy (yup that's what I think iOS scrivener should be called). I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait!!!!!!!

And we think we've got problems :( hang-on-in-there, yosi ... hang on!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:13 pm Post

Beta-testing is open to another 200 volunteers:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/ios_b ... ration.php

Get in quick if you're interested!

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:14 pm Post

Be very quick. ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ChrisRosser
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:57 am Post

Frak! missed out again

Fraking timezones, I was in showering and getting ready for work when it was announced. I wonder how quickly they went?
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:

Website | Scrivener Articles
Amazon | Twitter | Facebook

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am Post

More volunteers needed? Sounds like things are progressing well. :)

lo
lolajl

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:08 pm Post

Wondering how long it will take for Apple to approve the app before we can toss some colored paper your way . . .

kewms

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:21 pm Post

lolajl wrote:Wondering how long it will take for Apple to approve the app before we can toss some colored paper your way . . .

Don't get too carried away. It's still in beta testing: we aren't asking anyone for colored paper yet.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:20 pm Post

A little extra off the side here, for fairness, not just because it looks like I am never going to connect for Beta duty at this rate ;)

I want to say something nice about Scrivo Pro, which has received an amount of unpleasantness, particularly from a certain Hard Hearted Hanna (name changed to protect on generous principles if she doesn't recognize it) posting here.

I took pity and helped along the Beta there for a while, having some conversation with the one-man-band providing it, and found him a quite reasonably pleasant fellow, raising sons in mountains of Spain, driving one of them in weekly for best schooling.

Scrivo is a different take, and for many reasons I feel it will not particularly be a competitor of Scrivener iOS, which I enthuse about as much as anyone else, and will use heavily.

It does work well enough in its own regard, has some remaining issues, has a lot of features more for making RTF page details than composing work, and follows on as a much better development beyond the originating Textilus, still adding features for this at quite a clip. I don't think the name change of the app or provider is anything but a normative thing for a small outfit to do when it changes for another approach to offer.

I suspect that as economists know about all the haberdasheries trying to arrange themselves in a same neighborhood, or ice cream vendors together on a beach, Keith may find that having Scrivo around will help Scrivener sales more than it is able to take anything away. Reasons involve the particular smoothnesses and functions Scrivener iOS is sure to be adept at, and that there are other things other people want to do which are not the center of Scrivener's aim, while some crossover can also attract to the parent of it all.

Surely all the percentages are on the home team here, will leave it with that confidence.

Kind regards all around, colored paper of course at the proper time,
Clive

jc
jcarman

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:26 pm Post

There's a bit of research that says the mode informs the message, but ultimately, do what works for you.

Ge
GeorgiaC

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:42 pm Post

I just got round to checking back. Thanks for you thorough reply, Keith.
I've just checked, my project's 115 MB, mostly writing, with a few pdfs.
Sounds like as long as I do my initial sync over Wifi I should be ok.
Looking forward to it!