Scrivener for iOS - When?

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri May 27, 2016 9:47 am Post

AmberV wrote:The best thing to do would be to subscribe to the announcements board...[or rss]...

Thanks, Ioa. Though subscribe-topic was fine,I could in no way get a subscribe-forum button to appear, trying a few - looks like something at admin level to enable it? I've put the RSS feed into my Feedly, and maybe will try text search on the volume of postings.

I imagine some kind of IFFTT or Zapier thing might be able to note an event but have a trust problem with those at present anyway.

Grouse grouse, I know. This is why I kind of think it maybe a matter of fortune ;)

Best, Clive

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri May 27, 2016 10:16 pm Post

Well that's interesting, forum subscriptions are disabled for the registered users group---perhaps to reduce heavily spamming cross-references in the database for busy boards. With this particular board however I can think of no drawbacks. At any rate, it should be possible to do that now, in the footer bar while viewing the board.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat May 28, 2016 5:25 am Post

charlie.stross wrote:I'd just like to snark briefly to the effect that the current beta of Scriv for iOS is considerably more stable and bug-free than Microsoft Word for Mac (the 2016/Office 365 version).

I just got a crash course reminder in why I switched to Scriv all those years ago last week when I had to break off writing a new book to check the change-tracked copy edits on a novel, which my publisher insists on using Word for. (Don't you just love corporate workflow and IT policy?) By the end of ploughing through a file consisting of 109,000 words of prose with roughly 2000 tracked changes and 80 comments, Word was crashing about once every half hour for no obvious reason.

Dumb question -- is your publisher one of those ones whose templates are still in Word 2003 compatibility mode (.DOC) instead of the .DOCX format, or were simply converted from .DOC to .DOCX? If so, that's the main suspect right there. Once Word 2007 came out, I saw almost no stability problems with documents that started in native .DOCX format for their entire lifetime, but the minute they touched the .DOC format at any point, all of the corruption issues .DOC was famous for came rushing back in.

Unfortunately, a lot of the publishers do that because the .DOC format can still pour directly into whatever typesetting programs they're using, with their custom stylesheet being carefully matched to the typesetting styles and their custom macros allowing the editors to mostly automate a lot of tedious checks and formatting that has to be done before the pour.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

narrsd

Tue May 31, 2016 11:01 pm Post

AmberV wrote:[...] it should be possible to do that now, in the footer bar while viewing the board.

And indeed it is, and I am. Thanks, Ioa.

Small point not your fault: the ability comes up as a check arrow in a box. Which I discovered doesn't mean you're subscribed.

If you click the link, _then_ you subscribe. The checkmark becomes a crossed box, for unsubscribe.

phpbb, and software in general...present exceptions noted ;)

C.

narrsd

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:55 am Post

.. And the forum follow notification does work now -- I just got email for the new topic 'Forum Updated' in Announcements.

Thanks again, Ioa,
Clive

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:04 am Post

Nice to see it worked through the upgrade! Thanks for the confirmation.

I noticed they are still using the checkmark=false icon, oh well! ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

narrsd

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:55 pm Post

No, I'm sure it's well cast in amber by now ;)

Ge
GeorgiaC
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 am Post

Now that the open beta is running, would it be ok to ask how well Scrivener for iOS runs on the original iPad mini? I seem to remember that it's supposed to work on it, but wonder whether there are any noticeable lags etc. on an older device?
I splurged last year on a MacBook Air to be more mobile with Scrivener and don't think I'll be able to afford to upgrade the mini, too, especially given that I mainly use it to read and annotate pdfs on GoodReader and to read ebooks, and it's still perfectly fine for both those tasks, so Scrivener would be the only reason to upgrade.
If it does run well, I would really like to have the option of using Scrivener on the iPad mini, though, as I do have it with me even more often than the MBA.

ma
matsgz
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:31 am Post

GeorgiaC wrote:Now that the open beta is running, would it be ok to ask how well Scrivener for iOS runs on the original iPad mini?

I don't think I break any confidentiality agreement if I say that Scrivener for iOS runs smoothly without noticeable lags on the original iPad Mini. Works great!
Scribo ergo sum

Ge
GeorgiaC

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:54 am Post

Thank you, that's great news!

kewms

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:20 pm Post

I believe iOS Scrivener will require iOS version 9 or greater, but any iDevice that supports version 9 should be fine. Like desktop Scrivener, modest system requirements have been a design goal.

(Subject, of course, to reasonable project size limits. A project big enough to choke the desktop version will probably choke the iOS version, too.)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ge
GeorgiaC

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:01 pm Post

kewms wrote:(Subject, of course, to reasonable project size limits. A project big enough to choke the desktop version will probably choke the iOS version, too.)

Katherine

Ok, that's an interesting qualification. What do you mean by choke? My project is big (well, actually it has lots of files and text, but no pdfs and so on), but on the desktop that only means that backup takes a while. Would the size be likely to create problems with iOS/sync?

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:59 pm Post

It depends what you mean by size - lots of files or large in file size (megabytes)? If the former, it makes no difference. If the latter, the only difference it will make is that the first time you sync via Dropbox it could take a while as it transfers all files to your device. After that, only files that have been changed inside the project get synced, so the size of the project makes no difference.

Also, just as on the desktop, the iOS version only ever loads into memory the files in a project that you actually work with (and it releases from memory any that are no longer being used if it detects that memory is getting full). So the number of files or the size of the project doesn't make any difference for most uses. In fact, the number of files makes no difference at all; the file size of the project might make a difference in the following situations:

- Backup on Mac; email as zipped project on iOS (it will just take longer to do).

- Compile (again, this will just take longer for larger projects on all platforms; if you have a super-massive project containing a gigabyte of text, that might run out of memory during Compile on iOS, but that would be down to devices limitations and extreme cases).

- Draft navigator (a compiled view of the text that can be used for navigating on iOS a bit like the Kindle's Page Flip feature) - this could take longer to load for larger projects.

- First sync to iOS.

I think that's about all that would be affected. Scrivener is designed to handle large projects. Projects with hundreds of text files but which do not contain lots of PDFs, images and other media files (which bump up file size) should generally fly (the only caveat being that lots of images embedded into the text can slow things down on all platforms).

In general, though, you should expect good performance. So far we've had no complaints about performance or slowness, in fact, and the memory issues that have been reported so far have been fixed. (Of course, I say this as an optimistic developer - I could receive a bug report at any moment that proves me wrong!)

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ch
charlie.stross

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:58 pm Post

KB wrote:It depends what you mean by size - lots of files or large in file size (megabytes)? If the former, it makes no difference. If the latter, the only difference it will make is that the first time you sync via Dropbox it could take a while as it transfers all files to your device. After that, only files that have been changed inside the project get synced, so the size of the project makes no difference.

I'm currently syncing 7 projects to iScriv, the largest being about 92Mb. First sync took a while -- strongly not recommended over cellular data! -- but thereafter only changed/edited files are updated. It's pretty quick.

kewms

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:02 pm Post

The only projects I've seen truly choke Scrivener on the desktop were well into the gigabyte range, typically with several thousand component files. These tend to not really be 'writing' projects, but projects that use Scrivener primarily as a reference archive.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team