Scrivener for iOS - When?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri May 20, 2016 11:20 pm Post

I wouldn't give up just yet, this will probably not be the last group of people we invite to help test. You will, if the past is to be considered, need to be speedy with the form submission though. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Sun May 22, 2016 2:15 am Post

Were more testers needed because the initial bugs were squashed or because the project is too large for a smaller group? Just curious...

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun May 22, 2016 3:04 am Post

I think the beta program is expanding as the software becomes more stable: both less likely to eat people's data, and in need of more comprehensive testing (and more varied use cases) to find the bugs that remain.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

ch
charlie.stross

Sun May 22, 2016 7:05 pm Post

I'd just like to snark briefly to the effect that the current beta of Scriv for iOS is considerably more stable and bug-free than Microsoft Word for Mac (the 2016/Office 365 version).

I just got a crash course reminder in why I switched to Scriv all those years ago last week when I had to break off writing a new book to check the change-tracked copy edits on a novel, which my publisher insists on using Word for. (Don't you just love corporate workflow and IT policy?) By the end of ploughing through a file consisting of 109,000 words of prose with roughly 2000 tracked changes and 80 comments, Word was crashing about once every half hour for no obvious reason.

Br
Briar Kit

Mon May 23, 2016 12:32 pm Post

Think Scrivener for iOS is absolutely the best iOS app I have used in the four years that I have owned an iOS device, and definitely a major boon for anyone with an iPhone (or even an iPad) who wants to have their work with them all the time, especially for minor edits or notes. I love it.

But for significant writing sessions, I'm with the kids of Maine who would rather use laptops running OS X than iPads running iOS.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/23/app ... lassrooms/

Scrivener for iOS is brilliant. iOS itself still falls short (for me) in terms of writing and editing.
Account closed January 2017

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue May 24, 2016 4:33 am Post

AmberV wrote:I wouldn't give up just yet, this will probably not be the last group of people we invite to help test. You will, if the past is to be considered, need to be speedy with the form submission though. :)

I guess you mean when the form for it is available again...or was too slow this time also.

I am considering this anyway as a possible omen ;)

Cheers, Ioa, looking at Fowles once again also,
Clive

AmberV

Tue May 24, 2016 7:28 am Post

No you didn't miss anything! We will post another announcement when the list is open again for submissions.

I was just thinking the other day on how it has been too many years since I've read any Fowles, especially the early works. I think I said that the last time you brought it up, too. ;)
Ioa Petra'ka

co
cor_stellae
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue May 24, 2016 9:29 pm Post

I'd be glad to participate on beta testing on the iPad. I'm so anxious that Scrivener is almost here… :D

Am
Amcmo

Tue May 24, 2016 10:02 pm Post

Like Briar, I have found the iOS version to be outstanding.

It's one of the most stable early beta's I've experienced and packs an amazing punch all crammed into a very slim package. Other app developers could learn from this lean coding. Keith rocks!

I recently spent a week in Rarotonga with the iPad being my only work device, the notebook left behind.

While I didn't get the opportunity to do much work,(too much time snorkelling, eating and drinking cocktails) the time I did spend on iOS Scrivener was great, and above all productive.

With obscenely expensive internet, synching was only tried twice, the rest of the time the iPad had WiFi turned off.

Amazing product, already more stable and bug free than other apps from some major companies.

Someone said L&L should be thankful we've waited for an iOS app and not defected. I'm thankful Keith and the team did not respond to demands to rush, come up with stripped down, basic app and have done the job right.

When it's ready for full release I'll be stumping up my cash day one!

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed May 25, 2016 8:38 pm Post

AmberV wrote:No you didn't miss anything! We will post another announcement when the list is open again for submissions.

I was just thinking the other day on how it has been too many years since I've read any Fowles, especially the early works. I think I said that the last time you brought it up, too. ;)

Great, thanks. Now I'm trying to figure out how to alert on this page, so I'll catch it.

On JF, it's been pretty useful to look again, especially after living in England many years; well, one in Scotland also. Things which are native, which are many; things which come from philosophical bents; things that are particularly of a period if you lived through it as well.

I'd started out reading one of his Journals. Sometimes tough, but definitely another perspective which can be a key.

Take care,
Clive

AmberV

Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 pm Post

Great, thanks. Now I’m trying to figure out how to alert on this page, so I’ll catch it.

The best thing to do would be to subscribe to the announcements board, by clicking the “Subscribe forum” link at the bottom of the topic list page. You’ll get a notification via e-mail whenever an official announcement is posted there. Subscribing to the blog RSS also works.
Ioa Petra'ka

lo
lolajl

Thu May 26, 2016 10:42 am Post

AmberV wrote:
The best thing to do would be to subscribe to the announcements board, by clicking the “Subscribe forum” link at the bottom of the topic list page. You’ll get a notification via e-mail whenever an official announcement is posted there. Subscribing to the blog RSS also works.

There seems to be an issue with the "announcement" link - when I click on it I get a sandbox password form.

ma
marcoiac

Thu May 26, 2016 1:49 pm Post

RSS feed should do it. You get a lot of stuff that may be of no interest, but it's very easy to skim through it and focus on the topics of interest

KB
Site Admin

Thu May 26, 2016 3:09 pm Post

lolajl wrote:
AmberV wrote:

There seems to be an issue with the "announcement" link - when I click on it I get a sandbox password form.

The "sandbox" area is a private area where we test changes to the site. Presumably Ioa was working in that area when he copied the link. Just substitute "sandbox" for "www" in the link:

viewforum.php?f=1

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV

Thu May 26, 2016 8:06 pm Post

Fixed! Sorry for the confusion, I've been working on getting the forum up to spec and had my windows all mixed up. :)
Ioa Petra'ka