Scrivener for iOS - When?

ChrisRosser
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:23 am Post

ravensview wrote:I'm no longer waiting for this for my iPad. I might have tried it if it was available a year or so back, but would likely not have stuck with it. Because of the iPad.
I've found I really prefer Windows and mouse clicking on a PC to the iPad touch environment. Plus, my iPad 2 gets slower and slower as the iOS gets updated every few months. In the meantime, laptops have got cheaper and lighter, so rather than buy a new iPad I got an ASUS 305-CA. With Win10 and Dropbox.
My working folder in Scrivener for my book is now up on Dropbox, and I just make sure to wait a few extra seconds when opening and closing it to ensure all files show as synced.
I love it.

I understand this, to be honest. I use currently use Scrivener on a Chromebook I've hacked to run Linux and for the most part it works well enough. But...it's a compromise, the keyboard sucks, the trackpad sucks and the screen is dreadful (though it is matte, which I prefer). Scrivener on Linux is half baked compared to the Mac version and since it's been largely abandoned it's not going to approve.

So I'm holding out for the iPad version because I love the battery life, screen quality and can choose my own keyboard. I already have a Mac desktop and obviously an iPad - I have no desire to spend $2000AUD to get an accessory writing device if the iPad version meets my needs.
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:

Website | Scrivener Articles
Amazon | Twitter | Facebook

Lu
Luptonsg
Platform: Mac

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:05 am Post

Hi, I'm new to both Scrivener and long form writing so I'm doing a lot of research at the moment. I really appreciate the Import web pages functionality on the Mac to gather all the background information I have found in one place. Since the iPad is such a great browsing tool, it would be great to be able to do this on Scrivener for iOS as well. Will this be in v1.0 or planned for later?

Thanks for a great Mac product.

Lawrence

ma
marcoiac

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:37 am Post

Will iScriv be able to access system fonts?

ChrisRosser
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 am Post

marcoiac wrote:Will iScriv be able to access system fonts?

I imagine that's a given. Better question would be: can I import fonts into iScriv like I can with Ulysses?
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:

Website | Scrivener Articles
Amazon | Twitter | Facebook

xiamenese

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:06 am Post

ChrisRosser wrote:

I imagine that's a given. Better question would be: can I import fonts into iScriv like I can with Ulysses?

I seem to remember reading something to that effect a while back. But time will tell.

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.4.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:23 am Post

ChrisRosser wrote:

Seems that's a yarp...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29755&p=209186#p209186

The good news there is that Scrivener for iOS will allow you to import any fonts that aren't available. :) (Although Courier Prime is supplied by default.)

Best

Briar Kit
Account closed January 2017

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:09 am Post

[/quote]
"Also, from comments upthread I think it's clear that overly ambitious scope has been a significant contributor to the delays. Trying to make iOS do things that it just was never meant to do is a great way to write lots and lots of code (and spend months and months of time) without getting anywhere."
Katherine[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more. Launching a basic version that can sync and tells you which file is which (binder), is all I ever hoped for. The more features that get added, the longer it takes to launch version 1. 'Plain vanilla' is the way to go.

I have been a loyal Windows user that also fell in love with an ipad 2. I saw a video the other day where the user setup an ipad (not sure of the version), keyboard and a mac mini. He was able to get all the apps from OS X using the tablet as a monitor. I think he always had to have an internet connection to make it work.

Has anyone here ever tried this and gotten the full Scrivener version?

Will a date be set this month for closed beta?

Silverdragon

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:08 am Post

TAFenmore wrote:...I have been a loyal Windows user that also fell in love with an ipad 2. I saw a video the other day where the user setup an ipad (not sure of the version), keyboard and a mac mini. He was able to get all the apps from OS X using the tablet as a monitor. I think he always had to have an internet connection to make it work.

Has anyone here ever tried this and gotten the full Scrivener version?

Will a date be set this month for closed beta?

Yes, I have used both LogMeIn and SplashTop to set up my iPad 3 as a remote desktop client for my Mac, thereby getting to use OS X Scrivener on my iPad. It should work for Windows as well. For that use, yes, you must have internet access. It's less than wonderful due to a) lag time if the internet connection is not sprightly, and b) the bluetooth keyboard which is necessary to make your iPad function practically as a remote desktop -- does not pass many key combinations through to the remote Mac -- which means using clunky on-screen key combo workarounds. This is an iOS limitation, and it's still present despite iOS 9.3. I don't know whether the iPad Pro with the Apple keyboard has this problem.

It's do-able, and I did it for nearly 3 years, but I would work locally on my iPad using either Editorial or Index Card, sync up, and connect with my Mac to use Real Scrivener only when I needed to. Syncing and using local third-party apps is not possible with Windows, though. This year I gave up and got a MacBook Air. *sighs*
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.4.1

ma
marcoiac

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:39 pm Post

ChrisRosser wrote:

Many iOS apps ship with their predefined (and smaller) sets of fonts, so, I don't think it's a given that iScriv will be able to access system fonts, although I obviously hope it will. Importing specific fonts in an app is nice, and clearly iScriv will be able to do that (I had forgotten it had been discussed in a thread). But if an app can access system fonts, since you can add your own font to system fonts, then there is no need to add a font to that specific app. You just add it to the system and all apps that can use system fonts will be able to use that font.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:04 pm Post

We are now officially in beta...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Br
Briar Kit

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:08 pm Post

KB wrote:We are now officially in beta...

Checks email to see if on the beta-testers list.

Noooooooooooo :x :oops: :(
Account closed January 2017

Am
Amcmo

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:59 pm Post

Massive step forward with that announcement.

Kudos to Keith for getting to this point in such a short time after he had to step in and start from scratch.

Can't wait to have Scrivener for iOS as my everyday writing program. My iPad Pro is excited by the pospect

Go
Gordon Robb

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:01 am Post

You must have my old e-mail address. I didn't get my invite ;)

Go
Gordon Robb

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:01 am Post

That's great news by the way :)

Ke
KennyB

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:37 am Post

Briar Kit wrote:

Checks email to see if on the beta-testers list.

Noooooooooooo :x :oops: :(

* Crosses Fingers *
Looking forward to possibly beta testing.

Good Job!
I am looking forward to using it.