Scrivener for iOS - When?

me
megaquests
Platform: Windows

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:02 am Post

this sounds promising.. i've been waiting 3 years for the ipad app it sounds close?
can't see any dates or talk about when.. is it being beta tested?
thanks!!

Ld
Ldee
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:26 pm Post

Keith, you are absolutely wonderful! I was planning to apologize and you did first, even though there was no need to do so. To some other posters: please believe me that my suggestions were well-meaning, all I want is iScriv to be as good as possible for all of us. And I am NOT one of those who want the mobile version to be equal to the desktop one. That was never my point, or even my dream (at least not until Apple finally manages to put OS X itself on the ipad). Sorry if I created the wrong impression.

Keith is truly wonderful because first he points out the problems or even the impossibility of a feature request, and then a single day later he breaks for us the fantastic news that he has solved the problem and the feature is coming! This is why we all admire and love you, Keith! Amazing! :D

In this spirit of trying to be helpful (and being fully aware that nobody, but nobody knows, or even can know, everything these days, there is so much knowledge out there and it changes so fast, we need digital, and human, extensions to our brains; the recent episode with adjusting the screen brightness reminded me of another amusing one, some twenty or more years ago: I was a loyal Nisus user, following their forums and once a very active participant, a computer science professor no less, someone who created and shared many of his own Nisus macros with us, ordinary folks, asked the company programmers if they could add a certain feature, and the reply came back quickly, "it is one of the items in the Edit menu, didn't you notice it?"...), in this spirit I could send or post a list of at least a dozen apps that have implemented split screens (ie multiple windows) within the app, long before iOS 9, with Keith's permission (he asked not to advertise other apps here and I want to respect his request, even though none of these apps come even close to the expected functionality of Scrivener for iOS, some are years old, or one trick ponies, and can not be seen as competitors at all).

Wishing to see (and edit) two docs at once is not the kitchen sink, in fact it is pretty elementary, used to be called "windows"... :wink: and is a tremendous productivity booster for multitasking. My other suggestion was also a major efficiency booster, and commonplace on desktops: a kind of batch processing. It is very helpful to be able to select several files at once to move / delete / merge them. Scrivenings is, if I understand it correctly, a temporary file merging several files for reading and editing. This was a stroke of genius for Scrivener and I am not aware of a single other writing program that allows this. What can be more useful for creativity than being able to put together, temporarily, several segments of one's work and read (and edit or evaluate) them together as one chunk? and do it while walking in the woods or wherever inspiration hits (which is why we need it on the mobile platform)... :P

Amcmo and others, sorry if I did not make myself clear enough. I am not at all the "everything but the kitchen sink" kind of guy. Most of the above are pretty standard features, considered basic and essential, or at least very helpful, for working with text. Unless iOS really make them impossible, these are features that will be taken for granted once they become common, just as they have on the desktop platform.

I apologize if I suggest features that are very hard or impossible to implement. I am not a coder, so I am simply not aware of the degree of complexity or difficulty involved. This is why I try to only bring up things that I have seen actually realized in other apps--fully aware still that in those other apps the implementation may have been much easier because they don't have iScriv's internal technical complexity. Sorry again.
And sorry also for being so long-winded... :(
Dee

Am
Amcmo

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:43 pm Post

iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad Mini, iPad Pro, I'm certain I'm going to enjoy it on each platform, as well as my Mac and Windows PC I currently love Scrivener on, though the Win PC hardly get's fired up these days.

Ldee. Appreciate your detailed discussion. My Kitchen sink comment is based on the background to the whole iOS discussion. After all the travails of first programmer having to leave, then contract programmers turning out to be a waste of space, and Keith taking it upon himself to do the job, I believe we had expected, from Keith's comments that the iOS version would be reasonably basic.

Keith has 'surprised and delighted' to pinch a certain saying, in the snippets he has shared with us thus far. My Kitchen sink comment was not aimed at you specifically, just an ongoing trend as I saw it for some to want the full blown V2.7 plus some from the Mac version in the iOS, despite the limitations of iOS.

Keith has somehow managed to keep developing the Mac version (though a little on the back burner as he focusses on iOS), taken over iOS development and put up with the odd bit of rubbish from one or two posters, yet manged to seem to stay sane and positive in his responses to our endless 'are we there yet's'

There's been no 'shut up and eat your lollies' or more bluntly 'p.. off and let me get on with it'.

Personally I'm for enjoying the journey, knowing when it is released it will contain all that it (reasonably) can as a V1, and will like the Win and Mac versions no doubt develop over time.

me
megaquests

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:14 pm Post

Wow!! What a mission!!
Thanks for the update and thanks for taking it on Keith!
Viva la revolution

Li
Linus
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:56 pm Post

Yeah, and I will name my first-born child after Keith. What if it is a girl? Tough luck then, little princess Keith. :mrgreen:

ptram

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:52 am Post

You can still call her Kevin!

Paolo

kewms

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:02 am Post

Amcmo wrote:Ldee. Appreciate your detailed discussion. My Kitchen sink comment is based on the background to the whole iOS discussion. After all the travails of first programmer having to leave, then contract programmers turning out to be a waste of space, and Keith taking it upon himself to do the job, I believe we had expected, from Keith's comments that the iOS version would be reasonably basic.

Also, from comments upthread I think it's clear that overly ambitious scope has been a significant contributor to the delays. Trying to make iOS do things that it just was never meant to do is a great way to write lots and lots of code (and spend months and months of time) without getting anywhere.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:10 am Post

KB wrote:Don't tell anyone, but I swear by Microsoft mice (mouses? I struggle over the plural of computer mouse for some reason - but not the small rodent).

It's been quite a few years since a Logitech mouse fit comfortably in my hand -- they tend to feel like they are made for a smaller hand than mine, whereas Microsoft's feel just right *size*-wise even if I don't like other aspects of the model. Maybe something similar in your case?
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Br
BriMercer

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:42 pm Post

Keith,

I wanted to thank you for all your hard work and dedication on this. If you haven't guessed, we are all abuzz with excitement about the prospect of a working iOS version of Scrivener. The core functionality--the ability to continue writing and have it appear back at Home Base (OS X Scrivener)-- is what truly matters.

Is there any way you would feed us a screenshot or two of the iPad Pro version to satiate our hungry imaginations?

Brian

ma
marcussommer

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:01 am Post

Hi Keith and Team

Working my way around on my iPad with the help of various apps, I am always torn between the wish to write in a disturbance free environment in which the font is displayed typewriter-like centered and big, and the all-whistles apps where text--size display needs to be adjusted by font size which influences the print size.

How will Scrivener for iOS handle this topic (if I may ask).

Otherwise: Happy Easter holidays ..

KB
Site Admin

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:43 am Post

marcussommer wrote:Hi Keith and Team

Working my way around on my iPad with the help of various apps, I am always torn between the wish to write in a disturbance free environment in which the font is displayed typewriter-like centered and big, and the all-whistles apps where text--size display needs to be adjusted by font size which influences the print size.

How will Scrivener for iOS handle this topic (if I may ask).

Otherwise: Happy Easter holidays ..

Hopefully these things aren't mutually exclusive... It was harder than I thought it would be, but my solution has been to provide full reflowable rich text with pinch to zoom.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ra
ravensview

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:05 pm Post

I'm no longer waiting for this for my iPad. I might have tried it if it was available a year or so back, but would likely not have stuck with it. Because of the iPad.
I've found I really prefer Windows and mouse clicking on a PC to the iPad touch environment. Plus, my iPad 2 gets slower and slower as the iOS gets updated every few months. In the meantime, laptops have got cheaper and lighter, so rather than buy a new iPad I got an ASUS 305-CA. With Win10 and Dropbox.
My working folder in Scrivener for my book is now up on Dropbox, and I just make sure to wait a few extra seconds when opening and closing it to ensure all files show as synced.
I love it.

Ro
Robbie

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 pm Post

To be fair to your iPad 2, ravensview, it's now 5 years old. I much prefer working in Mac OS X and iOS. And I say this as someone who occasionally has to use Windows 7 and 10 for work, so I have moved with the times. :)

However, I can't argue that PC laptops are very cheap and the iPad really should have had some kind of bluetooth mouse support by now. It would make working with the iPad Pro near perfect, for me -- along with Scrivener iOS of course!
--
Robbie

Am
Amcmo

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:58 pm Post

I'm surprised by the comment on the iPad 2.

As pointed out by Robbie, it's 5 years old, even so I'm surprised by the 'it's got slower' comment. I recently gave my iPad 2 to one of my grandchildren, not because it had got too slow, but because I purchased the Pro. The old 2 is running 9.2.1 just fine. I was using aps such as Final Draft, Fade in etc with no issues whatsoever.

As someone who regularly uses OS X, iOS and Win from the very first useable 3.1 to the latest, 10, I can say the degradation in performance over a 4-5 year period is far greater in the Win environment. Son in law just upgraded from his 4 year old high spec notebook because it had turned to treacle with upgades to Win 8, then 10.

All that said, whatever works for each individual is the best solution for them.

So Scrivener for iOS wasn't available a year ago. I'm certain all of us, including Keith wish it was, however reality is it will likely be here in the next couple of months.

All the wishing on earth is not going turn back time and change that.

Pa
Patti

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:15 pm Post

Sorry if this has been asked (and answered) previously....

Will Scrivener for iOS have the Inspector Pane?

Thanks much in advance! (And I second the request for a sneak peak screen shot!)