Scrivener for iOS - When?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:06 pm Post

loribee wrote:Ironically it's made by Microsoft - but don't let it put you off.. it's a great keyboard.

Don't tell anyone, but I swear by Microsoft mice (mouses? I struggle over the plural of computer mouse for some reason - but not the small rodent). I was gutted when they discontinued their old Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 - despite the 1990s name and it's somewhat ugly looks, it was the most comfortable mouse I have ever used. Their new ergonomic mouse is still better than any other mouse I've tried besides, but it doesn't match it. Anyway, I digress... Back to Compile tweaks I go.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

David Munch

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:08 am Post

Soo.... "Scrivener", "iScrivener", "Scrivener for iOS", "Scrivener Lite/Light", "Not-Ulysses", "Keith Prevailed After All!".... Which name are you going with? ;)

Ld
Ldee

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:57 pm Post

Thank you, Keith, for the quick reply. I am *very* happy to hear about the customizable accessory key rows!
Just one question though: why eight buttons? The top row of the built-in onscreen keyboard has eleven keys, so it would seem that it should be easy to put eleven extra keys there. (Three more keys, always visible and immediately accessible, would make a difference for some of us, slow and poor typists!...)
And a suggestion: perhaps make these keys half-height (like the built-in predictive row), so as to leave more screen space for the document text itself?

I re-read the recent postings at this forum and noticed another major announcement: no scrivenings in the mobile version!
You say it is technically impossible and I of course believe you, not being a programmer. But: maybe there are ways around this problem?
For example, I have an app that can combine selected files into one new editable file while leaving the originals intact. If this feature could be added to iScriv, with the option of either leaving the original copies of the combined files intact or to change them exactly ("sync") as they are modified in the combined file, then it seems we would get a functionality on the mobile platform pretty close to scrivenings on the Mac?

Another big issue I noticed is splitting the screen.

Do you mean Apple's split view or a split view inside Scrivener? The latter isn't really possible given the necessity of supporting the forum. You'll easily be able to toggle between research and text within Scrivener using a Recents menu. But if you mean the former, then yes, Scrivener fully supports iPad split view, so that you can view other apps alongside Scrivener.

I don't know what Keith means by "supporting the forum" but whatever it is, I am worried and hope it is a misunderstanding. Not to be able, on a split screen, to have two Scriv files open at the same time for editing side by side (either two different Scriv files or two copies of the same Scriv file) would significantly cripple the usability of iScriv for me.
I know that this can be done technically speaking because I am writing this post in an app that allows me to do both of the above, and in iOS 8! I didn't even have to upgrade to iOS 9 (on the first iPad Air).
Just to prevent more confusion: I am NOT talking about running two APPS at the same time and viewing two files from two different apps either in the split or the slide over view. This seems to be an iOS 9 feature that will be clearly supported by iScriv, if I understand Keith correctly.
It may well be that the iOS 9 feature of split or slide over view is designed strictly for two different apps only. In this case, I am wondering if iScriv could add the ability to split the screen WITHIN the app, as it does, so helpfully, on the Mac?

Dee

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:03 pm Post

David Munch wrote:Soo.... "Scrivener", "iScrivener", "Scrivener for iOS", "Scrivener Lite/Light", "Not-Ulysses", "Keith Prevailed After All!".... Which name are you going with? ;)

Scrivener. :)

Ldee wrote:Thank you, Keith, for the quick reply. I am *very* happy to hear about the customizable accessory key rows!
Just one question though: why eight buttons?

Eight buttons works perfectly, allowing room for a swipe action.

Ldee wrote:And a suggestion: perhaps make these keys half-height (like the built-in predictive row), so as to leave more screen space for the document text itself?

The keyboard accessory row is finished and will not change before release. But they are smaller.

Ldee wrote:I re-read the recent postings at this forum and noticed another major announcement: no scrivenings in the mobile version!
You say it is technically impossible and I of course believe you, not being a programmer. But: maybe there are ways around this problem?
For example, I have an app that can combine selected files into one new editable file while leaving the originals intact. If this feature could be added to iScriv, with the option of either leaving the original copies of the combined files intact or to change them exactly ("sync") as they are modified in the combined file, then it seems we would get a functionality on the mobile platform pretty close to scrivenings on the Mac?

I don't really know what you mean. You'll be able to compile from the iOS version, which does that of course. And there's a navigator that allows you to see more files at once.

Ldee wrote:I don't know what Keith means by "supporting the forum" but whatever it is

That was a typo, and it should have read "former".

Ldee wrote:I know that this can be done technically speaking because I am writing this post in an app that allows me to do both of the above, and in iOS 8!

I don't know what app you're talking about, but I'm sure it won't be able to do all the other lovely things Scrivener for iOS will. :)

Ldee wrote:I am worried and hope it is a misunderstanding. Not to be able, on a split screen, to have two Scriv files open at the same time for editing side by side (either two different Scriv files or two copies of the same Scriv file) would significantly cripple the usability of iScriv for me.

Ldee wrote: I am wondering if iScriv could add the ability to split the screen WITHIN the app, as it does, so helpfully, on the Mac?

No, it will not. To me, it sounds as though you are after Scrivener for desktop on an iPad. That's not going to happen - iOS has limitations. I strongly recommend you stick with a MacBook and the full desktop version, which is always going to be far more powerful given the differences in platforms.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Am
Amcmo

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:42 pm Post

HI Keith,

Thanks for the massive effort and no doubt sleepless nights in taking over Scrivener for iOS development and pushing through so quickly. My iPad is waiting for that amazing moment.

I can only imagine it to be frustrating at this late stage to have requests for the feature equivalent of the can opener plus kitchen sink added, or Scrivener for Mac v3 shoehorned into an OS not designed for that level of complexity.

Looking forward to the day :D

kewms

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:31 am Post

Amcmo wrote:I can only imagine it to be frustrating at this late stage to have requests for the feature equivalent of the can opener plus kitchen sink added, or Scrivener for Mac v3 shoehorned into an OS not designed for that level of complexity.

Just wait until the beta comes out, and we hear the howls of dismay because Scrivener iOS will not -- even given an outline -- self-assemble your notes into a publishable manuscript.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

wi
windy71

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:42 am Post

Well thanks for the early warning, some of us were banking on it doing that for us. I think I speak for everyone when I say we are all happy to wait four more years for this functionality to be added.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:51 pm Post

windy71 wrote:Well thanks for the early warning, some of us were banking on it doing that for us. I think I speak for everyone when I say we are all happy to wait four more years for this functionality to be added.

:(

Amcmo wrote:Thanks for the massive effort and no doubt sleepless nights in taking over Scrivener for iOS development and pushing through so quickly. My iPad is waiting for that amazing moment.

I can only imagine it to be frustrating at this late stage to have requests for the feature equivalent of the can opener plus kitchen sink added, or Scrivener for Mac v3 shoehorned into an OS not designed for that level of complexity.

Looking forward to the day :D

Thanks! And oops, I didn't mean to come across as brusque or rude to Ldee, so Ldee, my sincere apologies if it came across that way. It was actually a very useful point and one that prompted some internal discussion about how it might be possible to get split screen referencing in there after all (hint: I've found a really cool way). It does worry me, though, that some users seem to think that iOS is capable of running a full version of Scrivener - it's just not. iOS is much simpler and more limited. It is a powerful mobile OS, no doubt about that, and I am loving Scrivener on iOS; but it is nowhere near as capable as the Mac. Apps that have parity across both platforms tend to be far simpler apps than Scrivener.

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:29 pm Post

Whilst I agree there are those that think this will be a third choice for platform, I think most people see it as a mobile additon to their existing platform Mac or Windows. I would just make it clear in the marketing that it's mean to be that and you'll be golden. Now stop telling us how much you love using it on your iPad Pro, it's making me sad :)

ma
marcoiac

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:19 pm Post

Keith, show us your coding magic and make a split screen feature in iScriv so that I have a document on my iPhone screen and another one on my iWatch :D :D :D

KB
Site Admin

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:17 pm Post

Gordon Robb wrote:Whilst I agree there are those that think this will be a third choice for platform, I think most people see it as a mobile additon to their existing platform Mac or Windows. I would just make it clear in the marketing that it's mean to be that and you'll be golden. Now stop telling us how much you love using it on your iPad Pro, it's making me sad :)

Sorry! Would it help to say that I love using it on my iPhone, too? :)

marcoiac wrote:Keith, show us your coding magic and make a split screen feature in iScriv so that I have a document on my iPhone screen and another one on my iWatch :D :D :D

Pure evil.

yosimiti

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:48 pm Post

Keith, I'm hoping there's a version for iPods (touch) too. I'm one of the few who still have one :D

KB
Site Admin

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:11 am Post

As long as your iPod Touch can run iOS 9, you're good! I've been careful to design it to work on everything from the iPhone and iPod Touch, through the iPhone 6 Plus, up to the iPad and iPad Pro.

da
dafu

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:43 am Post

KB wrote:As long as your iPod Touch can run iOS 9, you're good! I've been careful to design it to work on everything from the iPhone and iPod Touch, through the iPhone 6 Plus, up to the iPad and iPad Pro.

You have too much time on your hands.

:-)

Dave

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:53 am Post

KB wrote:Sorry! Would it help to say that I love using it on my iPhone, too? :)

It's amazing how quickly you can go off someone :)