Scrivener for iOS - When?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:38 pm Post

marcoiac wrote:Here is a scenario for Keith :D

I am working on my project on my machine in the office. I forget to close it. I am leaving for a trip and have both laptop and iPad. I open the laptop, get the message that the project is already open on another machine and whether I want to open a copy. I say yes and work on it. Then the laptop runs out of battery. I open the iPad, on which I had previously worked on the original version of the project (the one open in my office machine). What happens now? I assume iScriv opens the office version, right? Now I have to remember to stop working on that version and open its copy, the one created on the laptop, right?

Thanks

As long as you had a Dropbox connection, then yes, the one you had open on the laptop. iOS will just use the version on Dropbox (as long as you hit "Sync" in the iOS projects screen). But if you did that the project may well get messed up when you returned to the desktop, just as it would now. The problem is between desktop versions rather than between desktop and mobile. Or rather, it's a problem in general but the iOS version is working around the issue because we know that it's a lot more likely that you're going to want to write something on your phone or tablet while you've left the project open somewhere.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ma
marcoiac

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:30 pm Post

Ah, but my question assumes that there are now two versions of the project in Dropbox, the original one (open in the desktop, and called Project) and a copy (open in the laptop and with additional work, and called Project Copy). Are you saying that iScriv is smart enough to sync directly with Project Copy, even though I had previously used iScriv on Project only, not Project Copy? How?

Bi
Bianca
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:42 pm Post

Greetings--

I apologize for my first post here to be so... relatively impersonal. I am not known on these forums yet, but I hope to change that soon. My name is Bianca, and I am an aspiring author. I struggle to really write anything sometimes, and it disappoints me. Anyway, enough about me. I'm boring. Today is my birthday.

I periodically browse these forums for any information regarding the iOS version of Scrivener. Today is apparently a very blessed day, as I see information that gives me a glimmer of hope: beta testing has opened up.

I purchased Scrivener for Mac. I opened it one time. I did not write anything; I read through the instruction manual. Then, I was afraid, so I wrote nothing. I am unable to use my Mac for long periods of time because the screen is too bright and makes my migraines worse (an app called Shades helps with that). So, to be fair, I am not your most dedicated user. However, what I read in the manual was beyond amazing. I knew then that if my novel ever came to fruition, that it would only be because your software let me follow my dreams.

My question is this, and I read into it briefly in a previous post, I think; but I would like to clarify. What would I need to do to be considered to beta test your app? I am currently beta testing another app as well--called Silk--but it is a drawing/graphic-oriented app (I have a Bachelor's in design). It is far easier for me to use my iPad for this, as the iPad screen can be made darker for me. My profession is actually somewhat related as well--I am the iPad Manager at a school. My coworker and I actually figured out how to fix the dreaded "1970 bug" that "bricks" your device. It was the best moment of my life.

I am also in the process of building a computer, and it will likely be running Linux, so I'd be happy to install Scrivener on that as well. However, I was so happy to see the beta being opened, and I was just curious what one needed to have to be considered.

I apologize for not joining your forums sooner; you seem to have a good bunch of folks here. I guess that even if the beta isn't truly open, I suppose I could get off my booty and actually help you work out some bugs..

PS. I love my iPad pro. I saw you were discussing it at a point in this thread. The screen is so much easier for me to read on... I turned 26 today, but my vision is very poor, and the headaches don't help.

Much love, and sorry for rambling--

Bianca
If I had a dollar for every line I wanted to write and never did, I would already be retired.

Am
Amcmo

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:17 pm Post

Hi Keith,

The excitement is building.

I've seen a review of Ulysses 2.5 on the iPad Pro on one of the Apple news sites. Reviewer found it so great to use he's cast aside his MacBook 12" in favour of doing all his mobile work on the Pro.

I'm certain Scrivener for iOS will be even better on the Pro.

One question. Will it support Split view? Ideal for having research open and writing at the same time.

I realise you have a huge list of 'I want's' for iOS and some will not make V1.

Looking forward to the day. :)

sp
spankybus
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:43 pm Post

KB wrote:
marcoiac wrote:Here is a scenario for Keith :D

I am working on my project on my machine in the office. I forget to close it. I am leaving for a trip and have both laptop and iPad. I open the laptop, get the message that the project is already open on another machine and whether I want to open a copy. I say yes and work on it. Then the laptop runs out of battery. I open the iPad, on which I had previously worked on the original version of the project (the one open in my office machine). What happens now? I assume iScriv opens the office version, right? Now I have to remember to stop working on that version and open its copy, the one created on the laptop, right?

Thanks

As long as you had a Dropbox connection, then yes, the one you had open on the laptop. iOS will just use the version on Dropbox (as long as you hit "Sync" in the iOS projects screen). But if you did that the project may well get messed up when you returned to the desktop, just as it would now. The problem is between desktop versions rather than between desktop and mobile. Or rather, it's a problem in general but the iOS version is working around the issue because we know that it's a lot more likely that you're going to want to write something on your phone or tablet while you've left the project open somewhere.

The problem here is a common one. Have you considered/tried any means of asset management within the tool? Meaning the project can only be open on one version of scrivener and if it's detected on another version, it will warn you that it is open elsewhere. on request, scrivener would save and close the other version, updating the source materials, before opening on the current version. I guess this would require a degree of awareness within scrivener along with a means of central control to facilitate that functionality lol nevermind.

We use something like this, alienbrain, to prevent artists from overwriting each other's work, etc. you check out assets and then no one else can use it until you check it back in. I guess it's source control.

Not sure how that mentality could be leveraged with a writing app.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:52 pm Post

marcoiac wrote:Ah, but my question assumes that there are now two versions of the project in Dropbox, the original one (open in the desktop, and called Project) and a copy (open in the laptop and with additional work, and called Project Copy). Are you saying that iScriv is smart enough to sync directly with Project Copy, even though I had previously used iScriv on Project only, not Project Copy? How?

Ah, no, if you choose to copy, it won't. But if the copy you make is on Dropbox, then you can open that version on iOS, of course.

Bianca - welcome to the forums! We'll give more information about how to apply for beta-testing when the time comes.

Amcmo wrote:One question. Will it support Split view? Ideal for having research open and writing at the same time.

Do you mean Apple's split view or a split view inside Scrivener? The latter isn't really possible given the necessity of supporting the forum. You'll easily be able to toggle between research and text within Scrivener using a Recents menu. But if you mean the former, then yes, Scrivener fully supports iPad split view, so that you can view other apps alongside Scrivener.

spankybus - Scrivener already warns you that it's open elsewhere. There's no real way of closing it on another computer remotely, though, not without polling too frequently.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Am
Amcmo

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:50 am Post

Apple Split view - Brilliant

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:56 am Post

Just to be clear, do you mean the 'split view' where you can pull out a small section and briefly look at another app, but when you work on the firs tone, the side view disappears. Or the one you can pull the split across and have both apps running at the same time. Not sure of the terminology of this, but the latter is the desired one. A lot of apps only do the former.

Am
Amcmo

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:01 pm Post

I mean Apple's split view multitasking.

Running Scrivener on one half the screen and another app on the other half.

Great for researching and writing at the same time etc.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:25 pm Post

Gordon Robb wrote:Just to be clear, do you mean the 'split view' where you can pull out a small section and briefly look at another app, but when you work on the firs tone, the side view disappears. Or the one you can pull the split across and have both apps running at the same time. Not sure of the terminology of this, but the latter is the desired one. A lot of apps only do the former.

They're both the same thing - both split view. Not all devices support full half-screen split view. Anyway, Scrivener supports both. When it's brought in alongside another app so that it only takes up a third of the screen, it shrinks down to use its iPhone UI. When taking up half of the screen, it uses the regular iPad UI.

kewms

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:56 pm Post

KB wrote:They're both the same thing - both split view. Not all devices support full half-screen split view. Anyway, Scrivener supports both. When it's brought in alongside another app so that it only takes up a third of the screen, it shrinks down to use its iPhone UI. When taking up half of the screen, it uses the regular iPad UI.

Oooh, nice.

I've spent the last few days growing increasingly fond of my iPad Mini + Zagg keyboard for notetaking, with Devonthink To Go for the research papers and Evernote in a 1/3 split. Putting Scrivener in Evernote's place would make me very happy.

(So would a viable alternative to DT TG, but that's another story.)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:52 pm Post

KB wrote:
Gordon Robb wrote:Just to be clear, do you mean the 'split view' where you can pull out a small section and briefly look at another app, but when you work on the firs tone, the side view disappears. Or the one you can pull the split across and have both apps running at the same time. Not sure of the terminology of this, but the latter is the desired one. A lot of apps only do the former.

They're both the same thing - both split view. Not all devices support full half-screen split view. Anyway, Scrivener supports both. When it's brought in alongside another app so that it only takes up a third of the screen, it shrinks down to use its iPhone UI. When taking up half of the screen, it uses the regular iPad UI.

They're not actually the same thing. I know that some devices don't support the full split screen. But even on an iPad pro, there are two types (depending on the programme). You can have one programme running, and slide another in from the right. This only allowing you to do some stuff on that, but when you press on the original one, the one on the right disappears. The full version (which I'm guessing is what you are saying will be supported) is when you can have both programmes open, and work on one or the other without them going full screen, and this is application dependant. Glad you're talking about the full multitasking version. :)

KB
Site Admin

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:27 pm Post

Well, if you want to be pedantic, the one is technically slide-over and the other is split view, but in terms of implementing them in code, they are the same thing when it comes to ensuring your app can work in split view or in slide-over mode. :)

kewms

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:03 am Post

Note that the ability to support split view is also hardware-dependent. Older and smaller iPads may be able to do slide-over mode, but not the true multitasking of split view.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

ch
charlie.stross

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:15 pm Post

incidentally, on the subject of beta-testing on different platforms ...

The rumour mill (AppleInsider et al) are trailing kites that the March 21st Apple event will announce (a) a new compact (4" screen) iPhone, and (b) a new iPad. Rumours circle about the iPad being either an "iPad Air 3", or a new, compact iPad Pro in the same general form factor as the iPad Air. The latter is supported by rumours about the case specs that have been given to accessory vendors including a cut-out for a Smart Connector (for a pro-type keyboard) and support for the Pencil (meaning cut-outs for the lightning connector need suitable clearances all round).

If it turns out they're releasing a 9.7" iPad Pro with a higher screen resolution than the current Air, I will be buying one (because pixels). (My wife has a current -- large -- iPad Pro because she does graphics work; my main mobile creative tool is the 12" Macbook, but an iPad Pro with Scriv would probably work better for me.)

NB: the iPad Mini 4 with the Zagg slim book case is gorgeous, and very flexible -- but a little on the heavy side, and the keyboard takes some getting used to for typing because of course it's a bit too narrow. The iPad Pro is so big that, while the smart connector keyboards give you as much space as a full-sized Macbook Pro, the package also ends up as cumbersome as the Macbook Pro. A 9.7" iPad Pro with a decent keyboard cover, 4G data, and an all-day battery life? That'd be perfect.