Scrivener for iOS - When?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:33 pm Post

We may well open it up to open beta, although we'll start with a closed beta first. Even with an open beta we wouldn't be able to give access to everyone, though. We have hundreds of thousands of users, but the maximum number of beta testers for an iOS app is 2,000. That's still a lot of testers for us to cope with, though! :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

is
istara

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:54 am Post

This sounds wonderful! All I have ever wanted is to be able to write on-the-go within the basic interface, with the chapters/sections clickably accessible in the left sidebar.

Ultimately people wanting to do a heavy writing and formatting session away from their desk can take a laptop. When I'm on my iPad, I'm focused on just writing, not fiddling around with other project parameters.

A kind of "satellite app" sounds perfect.

Ra
Rayz

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:46 am Post

Congratulations Keith; it seems like the end is in sight (through binoculars). I look forward to seeing the finished result, though my main interest in seeing Scrivener for iOS out the door is probably because it means you can get on with the next version of Scrivener for OSX
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:45 am Post

When is 'Beta Day'? :)

xiamenese

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:01 am Post

TAFenmore wrote:When is 'Beta Day'? :)

The day Keith makes it available to beta testers.

:D

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:59 am Post

xiamenese wrote:
TAFenmore wrote:When is 'Beta Day'? :)

The day Keith makes it available to beta testers.
:D
Mr X
Twill be a Betta Day for all, on Beta Day.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:37 am Post

At least you can bet it will be a day...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:22 pm Post

KB wrote:We may well open it up to open beta, although we'll start with a closed beta first. Even with an open beta we wouldn't be able to give access to everyone, though. We have hundreds of thousands of users, but the maximum number of beta testers for an iOS app is 2,000. That's still a lot of testers for us to cope with, though! :)

Why not make a priority list based on activities in here? :D
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

xiamenese

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:39 pm Post

lunk wrote:
KB wrote:We may well open it up to open beta, although we'll start with a closed beta first. Even with an open beta we wouldn't be able to give access to everyone, though. We have hundreds of thousands of users, but the maximum number of beta testers for an iOS app is 2,000. That's still a lot of testers for us to cope with, though! :)

Why not make a priority list based on activities in here? :D

If my memory serves from way back, that is basically how Keith set up the list of those invited to internal beta test Mac v. 2.

:)

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

KB
Site Admin

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:00 pm Post

Yep, that's exactly it. Right now it's in internal alpha. In the next couple of weeks we'll be putting it out to a closed beta group, which is a bunch of users we pick from the forums and elsewhere you have been good at finding bugs, or particularly helpful, and who we know won't shout at us if early betas eat their work (anyone in the 2.x closed beta will be invited, plus others added since - I need to put together a list of Windows users, though, as we've never had a closed Windows beta list). Once we've fixed any particularly nasty bugs the closed beta group discovers, we'll throw it open to a wider beta group, asking for volunteers. It's possible to take up to 2,000 beta-testers via TestFlight, although I'm not quite sure I can handle that many. :) We'll let people know when we're looking for volunteers, though - we'll post loudly about it, don't worry!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

lo
lolajl

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:46 pm Post

KB wrote:Yep, that's exactly it. Right now it's in internal alpha. In the next couple of weeks we'll be putting it out to a closed beta group, which is a bunch of users we pick from the forums and elsewhere you have been good at finding bugs, or particularly helpful, and who we know won't shout at us if early betas eat their work (anyone in the 2.x closed beta will be invited, plus others added since - I need to put together a list of Windows users, though, as we've never had a closed Windows beta list).

Yes . . . please overfeed on the beta! We're depending on you pioneers to stomp down the bugs early and fast . . .

el
eltos

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:27 pm Post

Yes, please do shout! I would be happy to test how it works between Win 10 and iOS. :)

ch
charlie.stross

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:19 am Post

*Waves hand*

Will report crashes and bugs for access. (Got to grind out a partial in the next couple of months, so plenty of motivation ... and I know to keep my backups in hand.)

Pa
Patti

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:37 am Post

*Jumps up and down* "Pick me! Pick me!"

I'm on Yosemite (although I could be on El Capitan in a heartbeat) on my iMac and have an iPad Air. Dropbox user. Just starting a new project....

sp
spankybus

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:51 am Post

Anyone remember if the iOS version will play nice with Dropbox?

I thought it was mentioned, but will iSriv have issues with Dropbox?

I use Dropbox, mostly.