Scrivener for iOS - When?

sp
spankybus
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:49 pm Post

Excellent news on Beta being this/next month. The hardships of development could mean that some features initially planned for iOS may have been left out for now. To that end, please correct my below assumptions for iScriv functionality as it is expected to work in Beta/release:

Binder: create/edit/delete/rearrange folders and text files in the manual and research sections.

Notecards: create/edit/delete/rearrange assets in notecard mode, including adding/editing/deleting comments in each the notecard.

Outliner: Similar functionality to notecards?

Scrivenings mode: works as expected in desktop mode?

Text editor. Full RTE text editing experience, including full screen mode?

Metrics tracking: tracking of overall project metrics, such as work count as well as a resettable session tracker (I love these tool for keeping me on my quotas).

Snapshots: I think I remember reading earlier in this massive thread that this was iffy for being in version one. But as one of the biggest safety features for the revisiting process, will this make it to v1?

Compiling: my expectations for compiling is that very few, if any, aspects of that toolset will be in the pocket version. It seems reasonable to me that complex compiling should be sent to the desktop version for execution. Is this a safe assumption?

Access to each file's meta data: how much of the file meta data will we have access to in the iOS version? I use Aeon Timeline in conjunction with scrivener on the desktop, which allows me to embed timeline info into text/notecards. Will this information be viewable? Editable?

If I think of anything else, will add via a new post. Folks, please feel free to add to the list of questions. You'd think I have more, but like photoshop, I likely only use a fraction of the tools total abilities with very rare exception.

Thanks for your time and again, grants on getting to a very major milestone.

sp
spg
Platform: Mac

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:58 pm Post

spankybus, as I recall from various posts from Keith, I think there is no scrivenings feature planned on the iOS version 1.X release and no snapshots (less confident I'm right about snapshots though).

KB
Site Admin

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:29 pm Post

We'll give more news on the iOS version soon, but there will be no scrivenings (not just for v 1.0 - this isn't planned at all given iOS limitations), no snapshots (again, not planned at all), no session tracking or word count targets (ditto), just a live word/character count, and meta-data will be limited to label/status. The iOS version is not, and never will be, the full OS X/Windows version. It will remain a much simpler, stripped-down application - I do not plan on keeping adding features to it, but to keep it as a sort of "little brother". iOS is not the place for a full Scrivener, but the version we have I am very proud of - it is pretty much the Scrivener I set out to write many years ago, before I added a lot more stuff to it.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be on holiday right now - I'm writing this from a snowy mountain in Austria - but am returning tomorrow. We'll provide more details on the beta, and start posting solid details about what the iOS version does, in the next couple of weeks or so. We won't be able to answer every single question about what it can and cannot do here. Ultimately, it's Scrivener, but much simpler and more streamlined, fitting beautifully on iOS (I've been using it all week on my iPad Pro). You will see what it's like soon enough... :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

lo
loribee

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:13 pm Post

Honestly, I'd be happy for the initial release to be able to support writing on the same project on all my devices without the need to keep constantly copy/pasta'ing to and fro.

I currently use OneNote on IOS (and on my work desktop) to capture and add any quick thoughts and ideas, but it would be great to just keep it all in Scrivener.

I'm happy to see what the first release is, and then just have it iterate from there.
Lori Brooks
YA/Middle Grade Fiction Writer
Member SCBWI

KB
Site Admin

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:19 pm Post

loribee wrote:I'm happy to see what the first release is, and then just have it iterate from there.

I think it's important to stress that we aren't planning on "iterating" too much - as with the Mac and Windows versions, the iOS version should be purchased on its own merits at the time of release. As with Scapple, we'll be keeping our iOS version quite streamlined. We will of course keep it updated and fix all bugs that arise, and will continue to evaluate features, but the initial feature set will be the feature set we see as pretty much definitive for the iOS version - it's not that we are putting out an initial release that we see as only part complete and are then planning to keep on adding to it until it's a full version of Scrivener. This is Scrivener for iOS, and it has features that work well on that platform; it's not and never will be the full desktop version.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves... More news soon, as I say!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

yosimiti

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:20 pm Post

I don't know Keith, sorry to tremor still waters BUT....

iOS I'm sure will get more and more complex as the years pass by, with more features, settings, etc. Shouldn't Scrivener for iOS adopt a similar get-with-the-program sort of attitude?

The idea of a product being produced and it's creator saying he's never going to change it no matter what is a bit a setback...

All that said however, I am quite giddy for Scrivener for iOS.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:54 pm Post

I didn't say I wasn't going to change it no matter what. I think our About page is salutary here:

http://literatureandlatte.com/about.php

In particular, the section on "It's not about the updates". I've always said that Scrivener is built to do a particular thing and that I won't promise to keep adding and adding to it, other than to ensure it is always working on the latest OSes and as stable as possible - and the same is true of iOS. Of course, having said that on the About page, I have continued to update and enhance the Mac version massively over the years. (You might be forgiven for thinking development has slowed recently, but that's only because a lot of development has been going into the next major version, but we daren't start talking about that until the iOS version is out - Windows too, by the way.) My point is mainly that iOS is a different beast - it is *not* OS X or Windows. For instance, it doesn't have menus, and doesn't work well with more than two splits; it isn't designed to do all the heavy lifting that the Mac (or Windows) does - it's a much more lightweight operating system; that's the entire point. So Scrivener for iOS is designed to take advantage of that ecosystem, and fit into it perfectly, rather than to try to shoehorn the Mac or Windows version into a tablet or phone.

Please wait and see rather than try to second-guess right now, though, because we are very close. I think - hope! - that people are going to really like the iOS version. I *love* it on an iPad Pro (and am taking next week to add a few things that I feel need sorting out before the beta now that I've been using it a while myself). All those people that complain that Scrivener is too complex I think may well find it clicks on an iPad. And all those people for whom Scrivener already clicked will find that our iOS version is Scrivener... But on an iPad or iPhone, and re-imagined to bring its core features to those devices.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be enjoying the last night of my holiday before the journey home tomorrow! This week I'll be fixing bugs and adding those tweaks I mentioned... Then I have my fingers crossed for a beta in early March. More news soon, as I say!

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:26 am Post

Keith, it's really good to hear the relief and pleasure in your voice about this. What you've been through is something I can really appreciate from experiences - one of them in the last two months, the others over many years.

I think your vision for iOS Scrivener sounds just right, besides that you've been tuning it in situ, whether Cornwall or the Austrian Alps. To work on a small, battery-powered platform, and to include those of us with the earlier, less fission-powered versions, I think you must be speaking the right language, and so I am quite looking forward to the results. Would of course offer to beta, along with about a thousand or so I know would also wish to here.

Working without scrivenings -- well, I think this can be fine as long as there's a way to rapidly page through, to look at continuity in an area of pages. I'm sure you've thought about this, if my imagination seems to think good reflexes in paging through may be the 'turning' point. And as far as what the platform will allow you, you have to do what you have to do; it is well understood.

In any case, the writing is the thing, not so?

All best fortune,
Clive

NorthboundTrain

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:59 pm Post

Thanks for the updates, Keith. Due to life and work I haven't been able to write for a couple of years now, but I still plan on purchasing the iOS version as soon as it's available, as I want to support the immensely hard work you've all done. And maybe -- maybe! -- it will be the kick that I need to start writing again. No pressure, though. :P
Regards,

joe

lo
loribee

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:09 pm Post

NorthboundTrain wrote:Thanks for the updates, Keith. Due to life and work I haven't been able to write for a couple of years now, but I still plan on purchasing the iOS version as soon as it's available, as I want to support the immensely hard work you've all done. And maybe -- maybe! -- it will be the kick that I need to start writing again. No pressure, though. :P

Good Luck Joe!! and great to hear you're going to start writing !!
Lori Brooks
YA/Middle Grade Fiction Writer
Member SCBWI

Sparrowhawk
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:30 pm Post

KB wrote:We'll give more news on the iOS version soon, but there will be no scrivenings (not just for v 1.0 - this isn't planned at all given iOS limitations), no snapshots (again, not planned at all), no session tracking or word count targets (ditto), just a live word/character count, and meta-data will be limited to label/status. The iOS version is not, and never will be, the full OS X/Windows version. It will remain a much simpler, stripped-down application - I do not plan on keeping adding features to it, but to keep it as a sort of "little brother". iOS is not the place for a full Scrivener, but the version we have I am very proud of - it is pretty much the Scrivener I set out to write many years ago, before I added a lot more stuff to it.

That's fine by me - I don't use 1/4 of Scrivener's features. No snapshots is a little bit of a downer, but not much. Personally, I've never seen tablets and smartphones as workstation replacements (I dare not join the iBandwagon? The horror!!!!), and I don't forsee writing whole chapters on the iOS version. The iOS version for me will be great when I'm out and about and one of those "That's it!" moments comes when I know how I want to execute a plot point, a specific line, or outline some major points for an upcoming piece.

My best writing comes when I get into a groove. But it's like trying to start an engine that springs to life only to sputter out a few yards down the road. After it gets warmed up, it takes off and I can write for hours. Anything I wrote at the beginning I have to do over again once the engine is running smooth. If I have that kind of time, I will be laying down on my couch with my laptop and a cup of tea at my side, not hunched over my phone or iPad.

But when that "Aha!" moment comes, it will be so nice to be able to instantly pull up my project, stick it in there, and know I don't have to worry about losing the idea before I get it pinned down - or losing the scrap of paper I wrote it on.
You will find more evidence of the ridiculousness of humanity in the bathroom mirror than any other place in the world.

Al
Altazor

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:45 pm Post

Yes, not only for the "Ahh" moments as the comrade says, but being such an awesome writing program, many are turning to other apps for the reason that writing sometimes on the Ipad is a must in today's world. I'm traveling to one of my favourite writing places next month. And love writing by the pool using my Ipad. Please, the App for the Ipad must come ASAP!

Ma
Marc ARAKELIAN

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:40 pm Post

We don't need thousands of features to write on the go.

I would be (very) happy with a good sync, a simple and efficient UI à la Daedalus, and the ability to (add and) visualize stuff other than Draft documents. :wink:

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 am Post

I'm so stoked to get this on my iPad. I'm away from my desk more and more, and grabbing any time to write would be excellent. Have my book planned out, and just need to get cracking. I have made the decision to pretty much wait to do the bulk of it on iPad Pro on the move, as I find I'm too distracted by other work in the office. :) Looking forward to finally having this :)

Pa
Patti

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:53 pm Post

I would love, love, love if you'd consider an open beta. A "test drive at your own risk"--I'm starting a brand new project so I wouldn't have much to lose!

Patti