Scrivener for iOS - When?

st
stefanlear
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:03 am Post

Hello All,
I plan on hiking the PCT in 2017, and want to take an iPad Air 2 (3?) with me. I would love to take Scrivener out into the wild with me for what is shaping up to be a leisurely six month hike from the border of Mexico to the Canadian Border.
My only question is this: if I compose a whole lot (WHOLE LOT) of things using Scrivener for iPad, is that going to be able to be synced with Scrivener once I return from Grizzly Adams' habitat? It's going to be six months of writing (at about 500+ words a day) to sync when I return to civilization. This is an absolute must.

kewms

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:14 am Post

stefanlear wrote:My only question is this: if I compose a whole lot (WHOLE LOT) of things using Scrivener for iPad, is that going to be able to be synced with Scrivener once I return from Grizzly Adams' habitat? It's going to be six months of writing (at about 500+ words a day) to sync when I return to civilization. This is an absolute must.

Yes. Ability to synchronize with Scrivener on the desktop is one of Scrivener for iOS's main reasons to exist at all.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

David Munch

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:30 am Post

Lets hope Scrivener for iOS is out before then end of 2017 then.

is
istara

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:36 am Post

ChrisRosser wrote:Anyway, like many, I've got a lot of hope for the iOS version of Scrivner, because after an impulse purchase of an iPad mini iOS has become my computing platform of choice away from my house (and often in it) because my computer is a fixed desktop. As good as OS X is, Apple hasn't created a device running it that gives me the ability to work while standing in a crowded train to/from work or on a desk with a keyboard and everything in between. I don't want another mac laptop - been there, done that; paying north of $2000AUD for a disposable, single-port rMacbook with a glued enclosure and soldered internals as a secondary device has zero appeal when I got my iPad for less than a quarter of that price. Given that I used to use a Palm pilot with a folding keyboard; the 8inch mini with its retina display is a luxury portable typewriter!

Accordingly, mobile-first has become more important to me. If Scrivener for iOS can preserve my project's structure between transfers, let me do light restructing and draft in full screen mode then I will be happy indeed. But I'm not going to sabre-rattle and threaten to take my business elsewhere. I've been a happy customer since 2007 and since then every release you've shipped for OS X has been outstanding.

For now, your best bet for writing on the go might be Notes (Apple iOS app) because it syncs so flawlessly to your desktop and then you can just paste any new text into the relevant .scriv file

Like you I'm hanging out for iScrivener/Scrivener iOS so I can get my whole project and its structure on my iPad. I have tried some third party software that supposedly accesses .scriv files but it's just too clunky. It's so much quicker just to write elsewhere and paste.

Ve
Vern Stevens

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:59 am Post

I noticed an IOS app called Scrivo Pro. It claims to be able to open, edit and sync with Scrivener files. I am assuming you guys have nothing to do with this app?

ma
matsgz
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:19 am Post

Vern Stevens wrote:I noticed an IOS app called Scrivo Pro. It claims to be able to open, edit and sync with Scrivener files. I am assuming you guys have nothing to do with this app?

Scrivo, that has nothing to do with the Scrivener team, has been discussed here in this thread (p.39 ff). I think this post pretty well summarises the consensus:

Rusty75 wrote:
Silverdragon wrote:
stuartg wrote:A word of caution for anyone considering using Scrivo. I've paid for several versions of Textilus to use with Scrivener. I've now given up on this app and developer in frustration. The app has been 'reinvented' a couple of times and always fallen short of expectations for me. It never quite lives up to its billing.

Maybe they'll get things right with Scrivo? I'm not holding my breath.

Let me add my voice to this chorus. Now that it has become clear that the folks doing Scrivo and the folks doing Textilus are the same folks despite different company names :roll: , I have zero confidence in their ability to get this right. This is why I am using plain text tools on my iPad until iScrivener arrives.

I always had bad luck with Textilus too. PlainText is the one I favored for syncs.
Scribo ergo sum

js
jstovell

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:54 pm Post

I'll add my voice to the chorus of folks who have been disappointed with Textilus/Scrivo. I'm an academic writer, and so I use a lot of footnotes. Textilus cannot handle long footnotes. Not only does it refuse to let you write footnotes more than a few lines long, but it will truncate any long footnotes it touches! Data loss is not cool.

I'm just glad I had Scrivener's snapshots so that I could restore the deleted footnote text after I discovered what Textilus had done.

Ve
Vern Stevens

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:47 pm Post

Thanks for the replies folks. :)

jf
jfthornton

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:28 am Post

So I loved Scrivener. It was a revelation all those years ago when I first discovered it. Now I've grown up and have a family, I'm no longer able to sit in front of the computer. I can grab some time with the ipad and take it with me to write silly stories. Alas, Scrivener, you've kept me waiting too long and I've bought Ulysses. It works brilliantly. It's pretty much what I was waiting for. I still care about Scrivener enough to write on this forum and wish I had it on my ipad but there it is. We've grown apart.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:35 am Post

Well, good luck with Ulysses. It's a nice app although very different from Scrivener, so I suspect that if it fills your needs then you don't really need Scrivener anyway. That said, I have finished the complete rewrite of Scrivener for iOS and it has just entered alpha-testing with the team, so I do hope you'll at least check it out when it's released.
All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

David Munch

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:55 pm Post

*Pops the champagne*

stuartnorfolk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:03 pm Post

jfthornton wrote:So I loved Scrivener. It was a revelation all those years ago when I first discovered it. Now I've grown up and have a family, I'm no longer able to sit in front of the computer. I can grab some time with the iPad and take it with me to write silly stories. Alas, Scrivener, you've kept me waiting too long and I've bought Ulysses. It works brilliantly. It's pretty much what I was waiting for. I still care about Scrivener enough to write on this forum and wish I had it on my iPad but there it is. We've grown apart.

Hi jfthornton, I too love Scrivener. Have been using it every day for the past three years. The delay in launching the iPad version piqued my curiosity as to what other writing apps were out there. I looked at Ulysses and Storyist, even tested them out for a while, but fell in love with Ulysses.

Like Keith says, it's a different way of working, but I do love the clean, uncluttered, accessibility of the App. I would never give up on Scrivener, but I'm using Ulysses now for my first major write, and I love it!

When it came down to it, I like options. Having iCloud syncing with Ulysses across Mac, iPad, and soon to be iPhone gives me the accessibility I crave.
"Carpe Diem – Seize the day... Make your lives extraordinary.”
Dead Poets Society

MacBook Pro 13” mid 2014 | iPad 32Gb | iPhone 5s 16Gb

KB
Site Admin

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:35 pm Post

If this is going to turn into a discussion of - or praise for - a competitor app, can we please take it either to the Software by Other Folk forum or, preferably, the forums of the software you've moved to (assuming they have forums).
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ki
Kirklander

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:27 pm Post

KB wrote:I have finished the complete rewrite of Scrivener for iOS and it has just entered alpha-testing with the team

That's awesome news! Congratulations! :D

KB
Site Admin

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:40 pm Post

Kirklander wrote:That's awesome news! Congratulations! :D

Thanks!