Scrivener for iOS - When?

ma
matsgz
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:54 pm Post

stuartg wrote:Maybe they'll get things right with Scrivo? I'm not holding my breath.

Tried Scrivo. Not sure if that has anything to do with my project getting messed up, but I can't see any other explanation. It seems as if syncing back and forth between Scrivo and Scrivener messes up the formatting of the project. At first it was only the font, if the font you use in Scrivo is another than what you use in Scrivener, syncing with Scrivo changes the font in the Scrivener project. Having tried to prevent that by using the same font on both platforms, the entire formatting of the text started to change. Not only text that was synced but also newly created texts, that at first looked all right, got its format (and font) changed, sa soon as I created a new text (cmd-N).

Exactly how Scrivo could have caused this I don't know, but it has never happened before and it happened after I synced the project. So, a word of caution is definitely warranted.

I've gone back to sync with a non RTF app (Byword in my case, I know there are others that others swear to).

Perhaps this is part of the reasons that Keith and his team have had problems getting Scrivener to work seamlessly on mac and iOS. Apparently it's not easy. And if it is not done right, it's better not done at all.
Scribo ergo sum

Ru
Rusty75
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:20 pm Post

I posted the name of the app that edits Scrivener files on iOS earlier. I guess it was deemed threatening... We can say Textilus, IndexCard, Scrivo, etc, but don't mention the name of the app that skips all the workarounds and hullabaloo. Got it.

ma
marcoiac

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:06 pm Post

Rusty75 wrote:I posted the name of the app that edits Scrivener files on iOS earlier. I guess it was deemed threatening... We can say Textilus, IndexCard, Scrivo, etc, but don't mention the name of the app that skips all the workarounds and hullabaloo. Got it.

????????????

Ru
Rusty75

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:33 am Post

marcoiac wrote:
Rusty75 wrote:I posted the name of the app that edits Scrivener files on iOS earlier. I guess it was deemed threatening... We can say Textilus, IndexCard, Scrivo, etc, but don't mention the name of the app that skips all the workarounds and hullabaloo. Got it.

????????????

The post was deleted. This mystery app shall not be named. All I can tell you is it opens and edits Scrivener files.

ChrisRosser

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:08 am Post

Rusty75 wrote:
marcoiac wrote:

????????????

The post was deleted. This mystery app shall not be named. All I can tell you is it opens and edits Scrivener files.

If that's true then that's NOT COOL AT ALL and I hope that's an oversight and not censorship.
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:

Website | Scrivener Articles
Amazon | Twitter | Facebook

km
kmunoz

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:10 am Post

Unwilling to move away from Scrivener but despairing of the possibility of an iOS app within my serviceable lifetime, I've found a solution sufficient for my needs. I use Splashtop on my iPad to connect to my desktop's screen. I then go full-screen in Scrivener and now have a full-featured Scrivener on my iPad. Now, granted, it requires a network connection (and since I'm using the iPad outside of my house, I have a $17/yr subscription to Splashtop that lets me connect outside of my LAN), but it's more than sufficient for my needs.

Probably not a great solution for everyone, and certainly a lesser solution than a true iOS app, but it'll do in a pinch.

da
dagaz

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:17 am Post

KB wrote:... Although I'm working as hard as I can on our iOS version, it will certainly not be ready in the next couple of months...

I couldn't believe it when I came back here to see how the iPad version was going.

From a blog post back in 2014:
Which means that while our iOS version has been in various stages of development since the end of 2011, the form it is in now has only been in development for just over a year.

I remember when you used to churn out versions of Scrivener for OS X on an almost weekly basis, and yet the iPad version has been worked on for over 4 years without even a release?

ma
marcoiac

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:54 am Post

Rusty75 wrote:The post was deleted. This mystery app shall not be named. All I can tell you is it opens and edits Scrivener files.

I know there is lots of fiction writers around here, but seriously, with the popularity of Scrivener and the well-known fact that there isn't yet an iScriv app, how credible it is that there is out there such a miracle app, and no one knows about it? BTW, the idea that Keith or others in this forum have deleted a post to actively conceal info useful to users is ludicrous. But you know, sometimes things happen by mistake. Yet, I can't help, I find the whole idea of such a great app out there that no one has ever heard about rather implausible.

Ru
Rusty75

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:52 am Post

Suspend disbelief, if only for a moment. It's called Storyist. Works with Scrivener, as I said.

Jo
Jordi Mora

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:43 am Post

matsgz wrote:
stuartg wrote:Maybe they'll get things right with Scrivo? I'm not holding my breath.

Tried Scrivo.

I've gone back to sync with a non RTF app (Byword in my case, I know there are others that others swear to).

Perhaps this is part of the reasons that Keith and his team have had problems getting Scrivener to work seamlessly on mac and iOS. Apparently it's not easy. And if it is not done right, it's better not done at all.

I tried Scrivo at the weekend and I also had issues, as well as a general disappointment that it's actually Textilus (which I had and rarely used) plus a few bits and bobs - and not including any improvements of structure. So for the moment I've done the same and moved back to plain text (iWriter) which works exceedingly well. I can wait for the real thing.

ma
matsgz

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:20 am Post

Rusty75 wrote:Suspend disbelief, if only for a moment. It's called xxxxx. Works with Scrivener, as I said.

The software in question was from the beginning a shameless rip-off of Scrivener. If it is the case that the Scrivener team doesn't want it plugged on their web site (I don't say it is so), I wouldn't blame them.
Scribo ergo sum

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:05 am Post

Rusty75 wrote:The post was deleted. This mystery app shall not be named. All I can tell you is it opens and edits Scrivener files.

ChrisRosser wrote:If that's true then that's NOT COOL AT ALL and I hope that's an oversight and not censorship.

My sincere apologies for any offence caused here. I deleted the post because I had mistaken it as promotion, as the recommendation of the software *over* Scrivener rather than for working with it - I was clearly wrong there. The forum rules are simply "be polite" (which everyone is being!) and no promotion of competitor software. Any software can be discussed in the "Software by Other Folk" (within reason, as long as it's not at the expense of our software), and software can be mentioned in other threads so long as it pertains to compatibility with Scrivener. Promotion of some software is more likely to be caught and deleted than promotion of other software for historical reasons. Having double-checked, in this case the mention by Rusty75 was entirely innocent and relevant to the discussion, so please accept my apologies Rusty75.

If we do choose to remove mentions of other software, however, this is our prerogative and it is not in any way a violation of anyone's free speech. This is a company forum; it is predominantly here to help our users, but it is also an L&L area and so I don't think it is unreasonable that we have a rule that competitor products cannot be promoted here. :) We very, very rarely delete posts, however - I can count the number of times we have done so on one hand - and in this case I was overzealous with the delete button and should have left Rusty75's post intact.

As to the software in question itself, I would advise caution when using it to sync with Scrivener projects. Because it has no concept of special folders such as the Draft, Research and Trash folders, those folders are treated like regular folders and you can end up moving or deleting them, which results in a corrupt project that could not be opened in Scrivener any longer. There are also certain formatting limitations that may lead to loss of formatting in documents. That's all I've found from cursory testing, but other than that you should be fine as long as you are careful. I politely request we leave the discussion of said software there, though. ;)

dagaz wrote:I couldn't believe it when I came back here to see how the iPad version was going... I remember when you used to churn out versions of Scrivener for OS X on an almost weekly basis, and yet the iPad version has been worked on for over 4 years without even a release?

It does seem somewhat incredible, and I can see why from the outside it seems as though we have been sitting on our laurels - it's hugely frustrating for us, too. The short version:

- For the past two or three years, I've been working on a major update of Scrivener for Mac while also maintaining Scrivener 2.x and keeping it up to date. The new version, while mainly an evolution of 2.x, has also required a complete rewrite of much of the backend code to make it 64-bit and to replace the binder, outliner and all lists and tables with new ways of generating those components introduced by Apple (all of which will be invisible to the user if done right). There are also many cool new features and refinements, of course (e.g. a true styles system).

- From the start, given my love for the Mac version and my desire to avoid splitting my time between the iOS and Mac versions, I did not want to code the iOS version myself, so I hired another coder for the job. After a few months, the first coder and I parted ways because of health problems in the coder's family which meant work on the iOS version had suffered. So we hired another coder with good iOS experience, who worked on it for over two years, but who ran into so many problems that we parted ways last year. In order to try to get the thing done, I then hired two developers from a London-based app development agency. That didn't work out either. So, despite my initial wishes, a few months ago I took over the project myself. It is now making good progress, which in retrospect, it never was before.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Sparrowhawk
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:27 pm Post

From the start, given my love for the Mac version and my desire to avoid splitting my time between the iOS and Mac versions, I did not want to code the iOS version myself, so I hired another coder for the job. After a few months, the first coder and I parted ways because of health problems in the coder's family which meant work on the iOS version had suffered. So we hired another coder with good iOS experience, who worked on it for over two years, but who ran into so many problems that we parted ways last year. In order to try to get the thing done, I then hired two developers from a London-based app development agency. That didn't work out either. So, despite my initial wishes, a few months ago I took over the project myself. It is now making good progress, which in retrospect, it never was before.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the update =) I've been checking the blog section religiously since 2016 dawned.

Sadly, this seems to be a very big problem is iOS apps (finding an outside developer who actually sees a project through that is). My company (that I'm a peon for, not the founder), has gone through about 5 contract developers in 3 years for our mobile app. Going down a rabbit trail here...I've often wondered why. It seems getting people to actually finish a desktop program they begin isn't nearly as rare. Since programming is programming (yes, I know there are different languages) and should theoretically draw people with similar skill sets, I can only think of two possible reasons this is so much more difficult:

1) Due to the explosion of "apps" (calling it a program is so 2000's) since Steve Jobs introduced iPhone and iPad and the numerous "got rich quick" rumors on the internet, several people who don't actually have any passion for either development or a specific application in mind jumped on board the bandwagon, and the pool of developers is flooded with people who may be drawn in because developing an app is a kind of fad for a lot of them.

2) Because mobile application is still very young (I won't say infancy...toddlerhood?), I've noticed that mobile OS's (especially Apple's) seem to change the develop guidelines a lot (whether it's introducing a new language, such as Swift, or constantly revising guidelines of required features or banned bits), causing frustration and fatigue.

Related to possibility 1...I guess it's also possible their are a lot of people who develop one app for something they were passionate about, enjoyed the sense of accomplishment, and mistook the satisfaction of a job well done for enjoying the actual work. This could cause them to believe they would enjoy being a developer as a profession, only to discover they hate all the work and frustration when the end result won't be something they are overly excited about.

Anyway, now that I've paid tribute to Victor Hugo by following a pointless tangent all the way to its (lack of a satisfying) conclusion, getting back on topic...

Glad to see you have taken over personally and that progress is going well! Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it more than I thought you would. I also prefer OS X over iOS (I'm still dreaming of osXpad), but there have been times I would love to jot down a note real quick on my iPhone. It's amazing how often you realize how you want to tackle a piece of writing when you are nowhere near where you can get to your project...
You will find more evidence of the ridiculousness of humanity in the bathroom mirror than any other place in the world.

re
redeclipse
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:32 pm Post

Hey KB, just wanted to let you know that while I am very eager to get my hands on the iOS app, I understand and appreciate how much hard work it is taking to get it there. Thank you for keeping us updated on things, looking forward to what you've been making!

Ru
Rusty75

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:25 pm Post

matsgz wrote:
Rusty75 wrote:Suspend disbelief, if only for a moment. It's called xxxxx. Works with Scrivener, as I said.

The software in question was from the beginning a shameless rip-off of Scrivener. If it is the case that the Scrivener team doesn't want it plugged on their web site (I don't say it is so), I wouldn't blame them.

In all fairness, the software "we don't talk about" pre-dates Scrivener, and I am sure both were influenced by organizational long form writing software that came before either. :D