Scrivener for iOS - When?

Tw
Tweedwave
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:51 pm Post

I'm desperate and plunged in and I'm LUVIN it ;)

ma
marcoiac

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:13 pm Post

Tweedwave wrote:I'm desperate and plunged in and I'm LUVIN it ;)

nice! can you elaborate? what's so good about it? can you sync entire folders? how does it work?

Thanks

er
ericoahu

Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:38 am Post

Patti wrote:
I agree--it doesn't look much different than Textilus. Can someone tell me what the big difference is?

What do you like about Textilus? I had never heard of it. I usually use Byword, IA Writer, or Editorial if I'm not using Google Docs on iOS.

ma
marcoiac

Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:03 am Post

ericoahu wrote:What do you like about Textilus? I had never heard of it. I usually use Byword, IA Writer, or Editorial if I'm not using Google Docs on iOS.

Textilus works with rtf, the ones you are using (not google docs, though) work on plain text. I actually like Editorial more than any other writing app on iOS (well, I do like Ulysses too, but that's a whole different philosophy), definitely more than Textilus. But if you care to preserve the rtf format, you must use an app like Textilus (or Scrivo)

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 am Post

Another thought on Scrivener for iOS...
I used to do some limited editing using Textilus on my iPad, but never really felt comfortable working like this. I also bought Storyist for both OS X and iOS, just to see if this dual working on Mac-iPad felt like the future, but the answer was 'no'.
I have tested using both the iPad 4 and the large iPad Pro, but it doesn't matter.

I use my iPhone and iPad for catching quick ideas, using Drafts 4 and sending the notes to the Scrivener Scratch pad. Not for serious writing.

So how do you get mobile for serious writing? For me the answer was the 12" Macbook. It's quiet, weighs rougly like the iPad Pro (especially if you get some kind of casing for the iPad), and it is a true laptop, not a tablet faking as laptop by having an external keyboard. So I have the full Scrivener power available, in cafés, in airplanes, on trains, at boring meetings, or whenever I really want to work on my texts.

It will be interesting to see if I will change my view when iOS Scrivener Lite comes along, but right now I really don't need it. :)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

lo
lolajl

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:28 pm Post

datahound2u wrote:I was just poking around on the IOS app store, and I came across an app called Scrivo for Scrivener, by Kairoos Solutions SL. Version 1.0 was just released on 17 December, and it seems (at least from reading the description, it has no reviews yet) like it would be much more robust than SimpleNote, which I am currently using to sync with Scrivener.

Gee . . that is a truly bad choice for an app name. I pasted in "Scrivo" into Google and most of the hits on the 1st page has to do with Donna Scrivo, who was convicted of strangling her son and dismembering his body. Yikes.

Jo
Jordi Mora

Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:37 pm Post

lolajl wrote:
Gee . . that is a truly bad choice for an app name. I pasted in "Scrivo" into Google and most of the hits on the 1st page has to do with Donna Scrivo, who was convicted of strangling her son and dismembering his body. Yikes.

Well, when I was a graduate student and young academic I used to spend a lot of time running with and rowing on the Isis. Googling that nowadays doesn't bring back happy memories ...

Hu
Hugh

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:30 am Post

Dr Dog wrote:
lolajl wrote:

Well, when I was a graduate student and young academic I used to spend a lot of time running with and rowing on the Isis. Googling that nowadays doesn't bring back happy memories ...

I read somewhere that the student magazine of that name is also facing some public confusion. But re-titling itself seems unlikely - at least I hope so.

On the subject of names, I learnt today of a new Italian Markdown editor for Windows called BadWrite.

It may well be a good piece of software, and the name is I'm sure sensible in Italian, but as an encouragement of sales to English speakers (well, OK, English speakers not versed in 21st-century slang)...? No.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Fl
Flexo

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:18 am Post

Not that forum members supporting ISIS or homicidal mothers isn't fascinating, but now that a new round of "hopefully this year" has officially begun, might the time have come for a quick update?

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:16 pm Post

I'm not sure what else there is to add that hasn't already been said above - I'm now working on it full-time myself (or will be again once I'm back after my holiday on Monday), and it will be released when it's finished, but I can give no timeframe on that other than that it will be finished when it is finished - hopefully sometime in 2016.

Happy New Year,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

2a
2albion

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:03 pm Post

I appreciate the discussion on the forum about what to use as a temporary substitute for Scrivener while waiting for the iOS version -- and I have a more specific question along these lines. I love Scrivener for its ability to quickly structure dramatic writing: moving ideas inside each other, changing the order, etc. What other app will let me do this easily? Index Card can only have one layer and all layers aren't visible at once. Other ideas?

(By the way, the reason I long for the iOS version is that it's much easier and faster to drag and drop in iOS. When I'm structuring a piece, it can easily be done anywhere and it's on a lighter device-- I can't afford a new lightweight laptop. And I'm used to touching what I see and so I now do 90% of my work on my iPad. I have my iPad with me always; much less frequently my laptop.)

Silverdragon

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:06 am Post

2albion wrote:I appreciate the discussion on the forum about what to use as a temporary substitute for Scrivener while waiting for the iOS version -- and I have a more specific question along these lines. I love Scrivener for its ability to quickly structure dramatic writing: moving ideas inside each other, changing the order, etc. What other app will let me do this easily? Index Card can only have one layer and all layers aren't visible at once. Other ideas?

(By the way, the reason I long for the iOS version is that it's much easier and faster to drag and drop in iOS. When I'm structuring a piece, it can easily be done anywhere and it's on a lighter device-- I can't afford a new lightweight laptop. And I'm used to touching what I see and so I now do 90% of my work on my iPad. I have my iPad with me always; much less frequently my laptop.)

Permit me to suggest iThoughts by Toketaware. I find it very useful for structure. It's designed primarily for iOS, and it will work handily with an OPML export from Scrivener. It eats multiple levels for breakfast. Once you have it set up to work with one or more folders on Dropbox, sync is delightfully automatic.

Its problem is that once you have that nice structure, getting it back into Scrivener is mildly to moderately difficult, if you have your Scriv project already set up. But that's going to be true for any outliner-type app you might use except Index Card.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.6

yosimiti

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:55 pm Post

Legally speaking, are apps like Scrivo legally permissible, considering they are not made by Keith and co? I thought copyright issues might play a factor...

Scrivo seemed a little sketchy when I looked at the screenshots, but I guess I'll try it until scrivener comes to iOS.

An aside, it would be very nice if Scrivener worked with grammar apps like Grammarly. Here is the link:https://www.grammarly.com/

I don't work for this company or anything like that. However, I have used the app extensively for essay writing and I find it incredibly useful. It would be nice if there was a way for it to work within Scrivener.

Hope y'all had a pleasant and good new year btw! Getting ready for another year of writing joy with scrivener!

Am
Amcmo

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:56 am Post

Provided Keith doesn't have a trademark on the word Scrivo, it's far enough removed fromScrivener to pass.

I open Grammarly and just copy and past chapters back and forth. Less than ideal, but workeable

mu
murm

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:48 pm Post

Yesterday I sent a question about syncing between Scrivener and Textilus Pro, and their support told me to get Scrivo instead of Textilus. Since I saw there's quite a bit of confusion here in this forum about both apps, I obtained their their permission, to post the essence of the exchange that followed here:

"We are in the process of creating Studio 5, a new iOS app developer studio. The base platform for developing Scrivo was in its first version Textilus Pro. However Scrivo has internally technical differences and version 2.0 has exclusive features like the Sync with Scrivener external folders or Automatic Backups. We are going to support Textilus Pro as always, of course, but the goal of Textilus Pro is to be a generic word processor. Scrivo will be a vertical app with specific features for writers and very connected with Scrivener.

We are preparing new exclusive and useful features for Scrivo and specially Scrivo Pro (most of them related with Scrivener). Currently we are receiving a lot of useful feedback from our users, so we are improving Scrivo on a daily basis. Scrivo will be a very good friend of Scrivener."

I downloaded Scrivo Pro yesterday and worked with it in the evening, and also this morning. The app is nice to use, and I think it will, at least for now, replace my previous setup with Editorial.

Setting up sync only took 2 minutes, they have a manual on their blog: https://studio5apps.wordpress.com/2016/ ... scrivener/

The next version (2.1) will remove the limitation of having to put the synced project folders in the dropbox root folder.

The only thing I'm missing in Scrivo is being able to access and re-arrange sections in the binder structure, but after looking at the scrivener file format, I'm pretty confident the developers could implement the binder if they wanted to. No idea if it's high on their list of priorities.
Last edited by murm on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.