Scrivener for iOS - When?

Am
Amcmo

Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:44 pm Post

Having seen the Ipad Pro keynote, I'm looked forward to iOS Scrivener even more!!!!!!

be
benlovejoy
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:34 pm Post

Yeah, though another resolution for the developer to support ...

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:36 am Post

benlovejoy wrote:Yeah, though another resolution for the developer to support ...

Knowing how Apple tends to work things, I'll wager that supporting the iPad Pro resolution is optional – that any app can be released and work just fine on the big new screen, even if it doesn't take top advantage of the real estate. There are iPhone apps that STILL haven't been updated for the iPhone 6 or 6 plus despite interim app releases...

Granted that I doubt our friends at Lit & Lat will be satisfied with that, but it's definitely something that could be put off until release 1.0.1....
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I write fiction. I'm not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.4, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2; iPhone 8+, iPad 6th gen; iOS 13.1.3

la
ladyfractal

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:46 am Post

KB wrote:
Oh god, I wish, I so wish that were true...

Here's what's happening at the moment:

<lots of really amazing insight into the development process regretfully snipped for brevity>

KB wrote:Again, sorry for the crazy delays. If Scrivener were a more basic program with no research capabilities and thus a "flat" file format, and if it were plain text and didn't use a hierarchical project structure, we could have had the thing out a long time ago. :(

Keith,

Firstly, let me echo others praise for the insight you provided. As a long-term veteran of the software industry (no, I don't write iOS code, sorry) I can absolutely support everything you're saying about deadlines and just how many little things crop up in what would seem, on the surface, a straightforward coding job. For sheer curiosity, are you guys using any kind of APM like New Relic? I ask because--full disclosure, I work there--something like that might be extremely useful if you are not already using it.

We have a mobile product that might be of great use to you. I do not work in sales or marketing. I'm a humble tech support engineer and I don't support that particular app (although I sit across from the folks who do) but I thought I would put that out there in case you weren't using something like that. Our web site is http://www.newrelic.com.

I admit, to my embarrassment, that I had grown somewhat frustrated with the lack of an iOS version of Scrivener although that frustration has diminished somewhat since I now nearly always have either my work or my personal MBP with me. But the software is just so damn useful and hands down my favorite between of the three I've tried (the other two being Story Mill and Storyist) so I keep coming back to it.
I am looking forward to it and I've gone back to using Scrivener as I try to hammer out my first novel.

Cheers
Aj

be
benlovejoy

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:51 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:Knowing how Apple tends to work things, I'll wager that supporting the iPad Pro resolution is optional – that any app can be released and work just fine on the big new screen, even if it doesn't take top advantage of the real estate

Well, it would run, but – like an iPhone app run on an iPad in 2x mode – would be a horrible experience.

Silverdragon

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:22 pm Post

benlovejoy wrote:Well, it would run, but – like an iPhone app run on an iPad in 2x mode – would be a horrible experience.

Well, yes... I would like to think not quite as bad as iPhone apps on iPad, more like an iPhone 4 app on an iPhone 6 plus. Not super, but usable. I may revise my opinion once I can get to an Apple Store and actually play with the iPad Pro.

Anyway, as I said, I can't imagine Lit & Lat being satisfied with it anyway.
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I write fiction. I'm not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.4, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2; iPhone 8+, iPad 6th gen; iOS 13.1.3

The Great Edhead
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:35 pm Post

This is just conjecture, but with the release of the Windows and Mac OSX betas featuring the updated mobile-friendly file format, it might suggest that Lit N' Lat may soon be ready to release the iOS version as a public beta. :D

KB
Site Admin

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:46 pm Post

The Great Edhead wrote:This is just conjecture, but with the release of the Windows and Mac OSX betas featuring the updated mobile-friendly file format, it might suggest that Lit N' Lat may soon be ready to release the iOS version as a public beta. :D

I wish. :(
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

sp
spankybus
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:43 pm Post

KB wrote:
The Great Edhead wrote:This is just conjecture, but with the release of the Windows and Mac OSX betas featuring the updated mobile-friendly file format, it might suggest that Lit N' Lat may soon be ready to release the iOS version as a public beta. :D

I wish. :(

Brother, you paint a dismal picture. Is it iOS and its handling of bundled files? Does iOS 9 afford any help? I haven't messed with 9 yet.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 pm Post

We have a brand new iOS developer who came on board to take over recently, so he's been getting up to speed and refactoring some of the code. There are a bunch of minor bugs that, when added together, become a much larger issue. But Scrivener's file format is one of the giant hurdles for syncing, and that has been a huge chunk of work, because it has meant pretty much reimplementing the desktop version of Dropbox inside Scrivener for iOS from the Dropbox Core API, and we have to get that working perfectly, because nobody wants to lose data during sync.

There has been a whole host of problems, not least of which has been me adjusting from being an indie developer to managing and overseeing development by others. It's been a huge learning experience, but unfortunately it's been in public because of over-optimism and premature announcement of the iOS version many, many moons ago.

Short of a miracle - which I still hope for - the iOS version is unlikely to out this year now, let alone in time for NaNoWriMo. All we can do at this point is bury our heads in shame and apologise for how long it has taken and is still taken. It's not for want of trying or of resources - we've ploughed a small fortune into it. Ask any developer who has worked on it, and they will tell you just how complex it is, but even so, it is waaaaay late now. So: sorry. But we are still working on it, and we are very thankful to our users for their continued enthusiasm for the project in spite of the many delays.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

be
benlovejoy

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:46 pm Post

Your honesty does you credit and is appreciated, Keith. And yes, Dropbox sync is something you definitely want to get right!

Shame about Nano, but I've decided to do it from home this year anyway, so no great hardship for me.

Best of luck!

NorthboundTrain

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:34 am Post

As a professional developer, all I can say is: I know your pain.

As a Scrivener user and iOS user, all I can say is: thank you for taking the time to get it right -- I'd rather have it years late and done well than to live through pain and data loss.

THANK YOU!
Regards,

joe

nom

Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:21 am Post

NorthboundTrain wrote:As a Scrivener user and iOS user, all I can say is: thank you for taking the time to get it right -- I'd rather have it years late and done well than to live through pain and data loss.

THANK YOU!

My sentiments exactly.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Hu
Hugh

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:42 pm Post

nom wrote:
NorthboundTrain wrote:As a Scrivener user and iOS user, all I can say is: thank you for taking the time to get it right -- I'd rather have it years late and done well than to live through pain and data loss.

THANK YOU!

My sentiments exactly.

Mine also.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

ptram

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:17 pm Post

And then, after all this work, the first message appearing at the release will be a complaint for the look of the icons! :)

Paolo