Scrivener for iOS - When?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:32 pm Post

Sanguinius wrote:
vic-k wrote:But, what we can be assured of, is, that when Scriv iOS does arrive, it will be the best they can offer

Sorry, but this doesn't follow at all. All we know is that when it gets here, it gets here. There's no guarantee of quality. It might be good, but it also might not be.

Yes it does!
You need to read more carefully.

vic-k wrote:the best they can offer

It WILL necessarily, by definition, be the best they can offer because it will be the only iOS version they can offer. Not necessarily the best anyone can offer, but most likely, as no one else can offer Scrivener.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:53 pm Post

Oh ye of little faith! :cry: Now then Sangui, baby, Image pedantic spewtims won't get y' anywhere!!

You will get the best L&L have to offer. Be told, and behave y'self. I am always right … even when I'm wrong! OK? good :wink:

Vic Oracle
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

sp
spankybus
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:19 am Post

Might we ask what the hired dev thinks about how things might progress, having had some time to check out the various source code?

Still scary?

sp
spg
Platform: Mac

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:08 pm Post

Second that. :D
Keith? Amber? Mr iOS Dev man (Or Mrs)?

be
benlovejoy

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:20 pm Post

Thirded. I know you may be reluctant to offer an ETA given your past history of doing so, but we promise not to stamp our feet if the date is missed, it would just be useful to know the current expectation.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:23 am Post

benlovejoy wrote:Thirded. I know you may be reluctant to offer an ETA given your past history of doing so, but we promise not to stamp our feet if the date is missed, it would just be useful to know the current expectation.

You can speak for yourself, but based on past experience there are others who will not be bound by your words.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:50 am Post

Just knowing how the internal beta testing is progressing is good enough for me. The next step will come when it does.

Please don't anyone use my post as a stepping stone for another insult at the developers.

Thanks,
Tricia

Pi
Pierre K

Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:10 am Post

Thanks Tricia, agree with you

sp
spg

Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:53 am Post

Yes Tricia,
Love Scrivener. Big fan of the developers. Just excited. Scrivener for iOS arrives when it arrives. No pressure intended. I'm just interested in how software development works and enjoy the updates.

su
superberg

Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:57 am Post

I think it's pretty obvious that the L&L devs have been quiet because they've put all their efforts into having the iOS version of Scrivener ready in time to present it on-stage with the iPad Pro at its unveiling today. :mrgreen:

KB
Site Admin

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:27 pm Post

superberg wrote:I think it's pretty obvious that the L&L devs have been quiet because they've put all their efforts into having the iOS version of Scrivener ready in time to present it on-stage with the iPad Pro at its unveiling today. :mrgreen:

Oh god, I wish, I so wish that were true...

Here's what's happening at the moment:

As you know (if you've been following this thread), development hit a brick wall once we got to "feature complete" three or four months ago, with the app just having too many bugs. We had hoped that our developer would burn through these and that we'd been in beta by now. Our developer fought with the code long and hard, but we amicably decided that we needed to get someone else on board to take development further, since we weren't making enough progress. We advertised for another developer to come on board, but we only received a handful of replies, so at the same time we looked to agencies, and have engaged the services of an app development agency in London to get us to beta stage (and possibly beyond), at which point we will determine whether we will get in our own developer or leave the iOS version in the hands of the agency developer.

The agency developer is now in his second month on the project, but his first task has been an arduous one. One of the areas we felt that was causing stability issues was the code that represents a binder document within Scrivener - code that threads throughout the entire application, in other words. So he has been working to replace that code, which is not a small task, especially for someone new to the project. Once that's done - which it should be within the next week - he will be moving on to bugs in the Dropbox and syncing code, and then on to all of the more minor bugs such as formatting buttons not working as expected. The key at the moment is getting stability and syncing working flawlessly.

I honestly can't give any guesses at time frames right now, since every time I do, I'm wrong, overly optimistic. (The project has now taken longer than it took to write the first Mac version!) We should be looking at an updated beta at the end of this week, and then starting to make forward progress again after that. I will update here once it starts to progress properly.

Again, sorry for the crazy delays. If Scrivener were a more basic program with no research capabilities and thus a "flat" file format, and if it were plain text and didn't use a hierarchical project structure, we could have had the thing out a long time ago. :(
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

sp
spg

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:36 pm Post

Thanks for the update Keith.
Feel your pain. Hope you don't have to blow too much on development costs (app development agencies aren't cheap!).
If it's any consolation, there are sure to be lots of people (myself included) that will do their bit to spread the word (and sales) when it does finally land.
Good luck!

be
benlovejoy

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:43 pm Post

Thanks for the update – I know it's been even more frustrating for you than for us.

2a
2albion
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:00 pm Post

Keith, I want to encourage your sharing the development process like you did in your last post. Making a guess about a release date, which lots of people ask for, is frustrating for everyone, but when we hear about the development process, it makes us feel we're inside that process with you, with all its ups and downs. This keeps us hopeful, with fewer expectations -- and it's just plain fun. I know updating your tribe about your progress can take time from your schedule, but even if the news is bad, it puts us on your side. So thanks for the update. Keep on sharing when you can!

na
naquada

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:36 pm Post

thanks for the update Keith... I'm as keen as everyone else to see the iOS version.. but its important to do it right.. and scrivener is so perfect... it deserves the time you're giving it...

hang in there... bug's all die eventually ;)
Associate of The Inner Magic Circle

My Blog - http://www.naquada.co.uk