Scrivener for iOS - When?

sp
spg
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:23 pm Post

Keep the faith Keith. Scrivener has been a life-changing app for me. Seriously. I live in it. Circumstances mean I'm writing on an iPad a lot at the moment so excited at thought of iOS app. AS A BONUS. You've done a great thing for writers bringing Scrivener into the world.
Please don't lose heart. You have my thanks.
S. :)

Ah
Ahab

Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:02 pm Post

All I ever really wanted from the iOS version was Scrivener Notepad, pretty much exactly as it runs in the Mac version. I'm reminded of the time I set out to spend an afternoon replacing a hinky toilet-paper holder in the lav, and ended three months later with new tiles, toilet, and tub. And not in a Good way.

ra
ravensview
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:51 pm Post

I still will use my PC version of Scrivener for writing, and especially editing. Part is to deal with my biggest barrier to effective writing, procrastination. There are too many sparkley things in life. Sitting at a PC and setting a timer works for me - as opposed to using a iPad in a coffee shop. I need to quiet to work, as well as a big screen to move scenes around and a desk for papers and books.
What I will use an app for is mostly creation, for jotting down ideas on an initial story, or maybe fine-tuning a specific scene. It will not replace the PC version for me.
As for timing - yes, it has been way too long. But shit happens. I've worked on enough projects to know that the best laid plans of mice and men ....
Carry on developing. I'll carry on writing.

Sanguinius
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:57 pm Post

I'm just constantly amused by the complaints of people about how long the ScriviOS version is taking to come to market. Try using an Android phone/tablet and wondering how much longer after the iOS version will come the Android version. iOS is inferior in pretty much every way, and yet the Android must constantly wait. Oh well.

Be happy that you have the ability already to type on your iPad and sync it to your Scriv project. Just because a dedicated app isn't coming along as quickly as you'd like doesn't mean you can't do any writing. People didn't stop just stop writing when they heard the rumors of the personal computer. They used pens, paper, and typewriters until the next tool was available.

Cassady
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:06 pm Post

FWIW - add another vote to the "keep the faith". The door that needs the oil, makes the most noise. Or something like that...

For all those throwing abuse about the iOS delays - please remember that there are as many(?) who remain appreciative, first and foremost, of the desktop app. iOS will be wonderful. Let me throw money at you kind of wonderful. But the way I see things (not that I know anything - or am someone who's even deserving of sharing his opinion) - the delay, for whatever reason - has happened. And it has annoyed some people - but hey, those that want it, will wait. And will still buy it. But since there is already a delay, then you may as well hunker down, stick to your guns, and do it properly. THAT takes the balls! :wink:

Do whatever you need to do, and take however long it takes, to get something that you are happy with. Because if you do, then even those that clamoured the loudest, will be forced to concede "it was worth it". And that's far better than a "all this time, for this?"...

Easy for me to say. But sincere nonetheless. Keep the Faith! You and your team, and only you and your team, know best! No need to explain or apologise, IMO. Still won't stop the "Are we there yet's" - but that just goes with the territory, no?

md
mdmullins

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:45 am Post

lunk wrote:I will of course buy the iOS-version when it comes along, just to have a convenient way of adding bits and pieces to my writing projects on the go, but... seriously, is anyone really doing serious writing on their iPad? Okay, with a bluetooth keyboard attached, with the crude multi-tasking of iOS 9 coming this fall, and especially if Apple also releases a 12 inch iPad this fall, you almost get the same capabilities as with a laptop, but only almost.

I can't imagine doing more than some extra writing on the iPad, as a complement to the serious writing I do on the MBP. So the desktop version of Scrivener is much more important than an upcoming iOS version.

Is it okay to wish for something (this being the wish list)? – I really would like a simpler and quicker way to sync with Index Card, with just a button, like it is when you sync with an external folder. :)

Oh, and an update to the new *.ndexcard format which has rtf. :D

I write only on the iPad. Now with Scrivener and Parallels I do it much better. But still. I have been writing exclusively on the iPad for years. I only bought the desktop version because there was no iOS version available.

md
mdmullins

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:49 am Post

Sanguinius wrote: iOS is inferior in pretty much every way…

Them's fightin' words. 8)

md
mdmullins

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:56 am Post

Pierre K wrote: There will be no discount, no - such things aren't even possible on the App Store. We won't even be able to give discounts to existing Mac users when we put out a paid Mac update on the Mac App Store, seeing as Apple just don't do upgrade or discount pricing. Price - not finalised.

Allow me to stir the pot one last time and ask for clarification. So I will need to re-purchase Scrivener at some point in the future? Is this more a subscription than an actual purchase then?

lunk

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:00 am Post

mdmullins wrote:I write only on the iPad. Now with Scrivener and Parallels I do it much better. But still. I have been writing exclusively on the iPad for years. I only bought the desktop version because there was no iOS version available.

Two questions:

When you write exclusively on the iPad, is with or without an external keyboard?

Parallels require that the desktop computer is turned on all the time, doesn't it? So I would basically need to invest in an iMac or Mac Mini to be able to run Scriv on the iPad?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

md
mdmullins

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:10 am Post

lunk wrote:
mdmullins wrote:I write only on the iPad. Now with Scrivener and Parallels I do it much better. But still. I have been writing exclusively on the iPad for years. I only bought the desktop version because there was no iOS version available.

Two questions:

When you write exclusively on the iPad, is with or without an external keyboard?

Parallels require that the desktop computer is turned on all the time, doesn't it? So I would basically need to invest in an iMac or Mac Mini to be able to run Scriv on the iPad?

Most of the time with an external keyboard. I use both the Mac standard Bluetooth keyboard — a thing of beauty in itself — as well as a Zagg keyboard which turns the thing virtually into a little netbook. And yes, your Mac needs to be on. I don't know personally if Parallels runs as a Windows host or not. But you will of course need a machine which runs Scrivener, which as of this writing is Windows, Mac or Linux. From there you need some sort of desktop client. I use Parallels Access because it's the only one that is slick enough to allow me work well with Scrivener. Make no mistake, thought, it's not perfect. Just good enough for now. I quite like Parallels Access.

lunk

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:12 am Post

mdmullins wrote:Allow me to stir the pot one last time and ask for clarification. So I will need to re-purchase Scrivener at some point in the future? Is this more a subscription than an actual purchase then?

If you upgrade to a newer, better computer, let's say from an old iBook to a new MBP, is that "more a subscription than an actual purchase then?" Or is there some fundamental difference between upgrading software and hardware? Maybe I should approach Apple and ask for a substantial discount if I decide to buy that new gold colored 12" Macbook, on the basis of already having bought an iBook and a MBP 13" Retina some years ago?

This is really a Zen question, isn't it?
Except that according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary a subscription is "an agreement that you make with a company to get a publication or service regularly and that you usually pay for in advance".

Upgrades aren't regular, you don't pay in advance, and you haven't even made an agreement with L&L to upgrade, so no, it's not "more a subscription". It's like you bought a car and later you want to buy a newer car. The first one was "an actual purchase", wasn't it?
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

lunk

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:17 am Post

mdmullins wrote:Most of the time with an external keyboard.

And yes, your Mac needs to be on.

Okay, so you basically use the iPad as a rather small external display? But this would require a rather fast WiFi to really work?
I must admit I don't see the point. You could replace your desktop, the external keyboard and the iPad with a 12" Macbook, and would then have the full version of Scriv with you all the time.

sp
spg
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:42 am Post

I have an ageing MacBook Pro with scrivener. When out and about and travelling light I use an iPad with parallels access. I have several other apps that allow me to access my Mac remotely but only parallels access gets close to full usability IMO. I have a good, fast wifi connection at home but have found parallels access to be remarkably efficient – to the point that I can work in scrivener *almost* as if I'm on my Mac even when connecting my iPad via my iPhone on an average 3G data signal. It really is that good. Usability wise it's not as good as scrivener on a Mac. Takes a bit of practice to get used to the gestures it uses in place of mouse right clicks etc. but it is very clever how it works. For now it's how I get most of my scrivener writing done. And I often stick to the iPad onscreen keyboard. Parallels have clever modifications to that keyboard which make it easier.

I sound like a parallels salesmen now! They have a free trial so why not give it a go? If you like it it's £13.99 a year subscription. By the way, parallels access works on both Mac and Windows so you can use scrivener windows on your iPad too.
Hope this helps.

md
mdmullins

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:11 am Post

lunk wrote:
mdmullins wrote:Most of the time with an external keyboard.

And yes, your Mac needs to be on.

Okay, so you basically use the iPad as a rather small external display? But this would require a rather fast WiFi to really work?
I must admit I don't see the point. You could replace your desktop, the external keyboard and the iPad with a 12" Macbook, and would then have the full version of Scriv with you all the time.

Not at all. One of my keyboards is detached from the iPad. I can also write in portrait. Laptops don't do that. And then I can pick it up and read what I just wrote, fullscreen, just as someone who will in the future read it — and increasingly so on electronic devices such as the iPad. Your question ignores the fact that the iPad — and all tablets — have always just been laptops without keyboards… plus touchscreen. Only they're so much more. Once I found a working method on the iPad, I never looked back.
Last edited by mdmullins on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

md
mdmullins

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:15 am Post

lunk wrote:
mdmullins wrote:Allow me to stir the pot one last time and ask for clarification. So I will need to re-purchase Scrivener at some point in the future? Is this more a subscription than an actual purchase then?

If you upgrade to a newer, better computer, let's say from an old iBook to a new MBP, is that "more a subscription than an actual purchase then?" Or is there some fundamental difference between upgrading software and hardware? Maybe I should approach Apple and ask for a substantial discount if I decide to buy that new gold colored 12" Macbook, on the basis of already having bought an iBook and a MBP 13" Retina some years ago?

This is really a Zen question, isn't it?
Except that according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary a subscription is "an agreement that you make with a company to get a publication or service regularly and that you usually pay for in advance".

Upgrades aren't regular, you don't pay in advance, and you haven't even made an agreement with L&L to upgrade, so no, it's not "more a subscription". It's like you bought a car and later you want to buy a newer car. The first one was "an actual purchase", wasn't it?

Touchy touchy.

Only a piece of software isn't a physical object. Windows charges for updates for the OS and has done so for years and angered quite a few people in the process. Note that OS X updates are now free. Once you've purchased a relatively expensive piece of software then upgrades, in my opinion, should be nominal at best.

And no,it's not a Zen question. It's a practical question. And a not unreasonable one to boot…