Scrivener for iOS - When?

sp
spg
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:44 pm Post

Hands up – I confess to checking the twitter feed and forum WAY too often for Scrivener iOS updates.
It can't come soon enough – but having spent months trying to get simple websites up and running I understand how these things always take longer than expected.
Just wanted to add my support. So excited. No pressure folks – just do it right.
S. :)

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:55 am Post

NorthboundTrain wrote:
pigfender wrote:Oh, and is it too late to submit feature requests?

+1 for Pigfender's feature requests. I had them in a different order, but they are very nearly identical to my own. Crazy, yeah?

I can't wait to see how they take advantage of the built-in barometer.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Or
Orrn
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:56 pm Post

Just a quick thanks to the devs on the Announcement page. I saw where they are looking for an IOS dev to speed things along. Plus the fact that they say the IOS version looks to be well along in development (feature complete?).

Anyway, very welcome news (to me at least : )

Thanks

Orrn
GeoffW
Agent of Gaia - No sweat, just save humanity.
http://AgentOfGaia.com

De
DenVogel

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:59 pm Post

If you are looking for an immediate option to corkboard writing on iOS, you might consider Index Card 4. It launched today, and adds the ability to export your Index Card projects as a .scriv Scrivener file. This will maintain stacked cards, and formatting you've done to body text. Note this is a one-way Index Card iPad to Scrivener desktop trip. It should work for both Mac and Windows.

As with previous versions of Index Card, you can round trip .indexcard projects thanks to Keith's kind implementation of the sync feature. The folks at Literature & Latte have put together a fantastic video on how to sync Scrivener with Index Card for iPad or iPhone. You can also find printed instructions in the Index Card for iOS section of the Scrivener User Manual.

Full disclosure, I am the developer of Index Card.

Ld
Ldee

Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:23 pm Post

Has anyone tried the Windows version of Scrivener on the new Surface 3 tablet? The machine supposed to run full Windows 8.1 but I am not sure this is true when using it as a tablet (without the keyboard cover), relying totally on the touch screen and the screen keyboard.

Thanks for sharing your experience or any rumors you may have! :-)
Dee

David Munch

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:32 am Post

Did you manage to find another developer to help you out on the iOS app?

ca
cammot

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:54 am Post

[quote="Orrn" Plus the fact that they say the IOS version looks to be well along in development (feature complete?).

Orrn[/quote]

Thanks for the update.

su
superberg

Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 pm Post

Ldee wrote:Has anyone tried the Windows version of Scrivener on the new Surface 3 tablet? The machine supposed to run full Windows 8.1 but I am not sure this is true when using it as a tablet (without the keyboard cover), relying totally on the touch screen and the screen keyboard.

Dee

I used a Surface Pro 3 for about a year. The Windows functionality is always there, whether the keyboard cover is attached or not. It's the same for the Surface 3. I think it would be a hassle to use the on-screen keyboard and touch interface for writing, but it would work in a pinch.

I found myself missing the better keyboard, trackpad, and "lapability" of a notebook computer, and sold the Surface Pro 3 a little over a month ago. I'm back to carrying an ultraportable laptop and tablet. Yes, it weighs more and is a bit more to carry, but the Windows 8 tablet/touch app store is a sparse wasteland and the type cover is horrendously overpriced considering I would barely call it mediocre.

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:34 am Post

superberg wrote:
Ldee wrote:Has anyone tried the Windows version of Scrivener on the new Surface 3 tablet? The machine supposed to run full Windows 8.1 but I am not sure this is true when using it as a tablet (without the keyboard cover), relying totally on the touch screen and the screen keyboard.

Dee

I used a Surface Pro 3 for about a year. The Windows functionality is always there, whether the keyboard cover is attached or not. It's the same for the Surface 3. I think it would be a hassle to use the on-screen keyboard and touch interface for writing, but it would work in a pinch.

I found myself missing the better keyboard, trackpad, and "lapability" of a notebook computer, and sold the Surface Pro 3 a little over a month ago. I'm back to carrying an ultraportable laptop and tablet. Yes, it weighs more and is a bit more to carry, but the Windows 8 tablet/touch app store is a sparse wasteland and the type cover is horrendously overpriced considering I would barely call it mediocre.

I always knew with any electronic device flight mode meant "no wifi" which I could live with on an airplane. What I did not factor in is that 'bluetooth' gets shut off too which means no keyboard for a tablet. This means whether it's the iPad or Window Pro tablet, you can't get anything done on an airplane. You have to have a laptop computer with either a good battery or a charged backup battery. Travelling light is obviously not always an option. I still use my iPad 'on the ground' though.

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:38 am Post

KB wrote:Tricia - we're still gearing up for it. The specs I put together for the iOS version were rough and only intended for in-house use, and since I wrote them we've had the whole UI tweaked and designed properly by a graphics designer and a lot has evolved as we've developed the software. So Ioa is currently finishing off updating the specs to cover exactly how it should all work so that we can get another developer up to speed as quickly as possible. Hopefully we'll be setting someone on in the next week or two. (Everything takes longer than we hope...)

Thanks Keith. Any luck going into August now with another coder and possibly an external beta testing date?

Thanks,
Tricia

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:58 am Post

We have another, highly experienced coder - from an outside agency - starting work on it on 3rd August.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:59 am Post

TAFenmore wrote:I always knew with any electronic device flight mode meant "no wifi" which I could live with on an airplane. What I did not factor in is that 'bluetooth' gets shut off too which means no keyboard for a tablet. This means whether it's the iPad or Window Pro tablet, you can't get anything done on an airplane.

You can turn bluetooth back on in aeroplane mode (& wifi too – although if you don't have a cellular model that kind of defeats the purpose :wink: ).
Complete and utter NOMsense.

sp
spg

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:22 pm Post

Keith,
Thanks for the update re coder. Great news.
:D
Stuart

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:30 pm Post

I'm sure it depends on the airline and such, but they are typically only concerned with excessive radio transmissions during taxi, take-off and landing. Once the aircraft is cruising at FL320 on full auto-pilot, nobody is going to care if there is someone in row 28 using a Bluetooth keyboard. :) They even have on-board WiFi on a lot of flights now, which is going to generate even more signal traffic than the pairing between a keyboard and a device.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

su
superberg

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:31 pm Post

TAFenmore wrote:I always knew with any electronic device flight mode meant "no wifi" which I could live with on an airplane. What I did not factor in is that 'bluetooth' gets shut off too which means no keyboard for a tablet. This means whether it's the iPad or Window Pro tablet, you can't get anything done on an airplane. You have to have a laptop computer with either a good battery or a charged backup battery. Travelling light is obviously not always an option. I still use my iPad 'on the ground' though.

Apple actually made a keyboard dock for the original iPad, though it would probably be unwieldy to pack.

I suppose it all depends on the hardware you have/can afford/want. The Surface Pro 3 actually takes up MORE space than a laptop when the keyboard cover and kickstand are open! However, when I flew with it, I just wound up leaning it against the seat in front of me anyway.

Non-Apple tablets with proper USB ports have the option of corded keyboards. I think some people even got the Apple USB keyboard to worth with the Dock-to-USB adapter, but I don't know if that pans out to modern iOS devices and the lightning to USB adapter.