Scrivener for iOS - When?

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:58 pm Post

After you're done with Scrivener for iOS Keith there would of course be, naturally, Scrivener for the Apple Watch to consider...

or Scrivener for Microsoft's Hololens ..http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Imagine typing out virtual scrivenings in the air...or scrolling through scrivinings like how they do it in Minority Report https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SFeCgoep1c

KB
Site Admin

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:22 pm Post

mbnelson wrote:That was posted January 30 (Friday). So...

February 6: Internal beta was ready?
February 6 - February 20/March 6: Internal testing

MId-March/Early April: Public Beta?

Summer: Launch?

We'll be lucky! The Dropbox code threw a few more spanners in the work, so Tammy had to spend another two weeks fixing bugs in that. So the internal beta won't be ready for another week or two as she needs to do more tests. There'll be more than a month of internal testing, too, two months at least, I imagine, before it goes to the wider beta group, as the syncing code could cause all sorts of havoc if it's not tested thoroughly. So, no dates other than this year...

yosimiti wrote:After you're done with Scrivener for iOS Keith there would of course be, naturally, Scrivener for the Apple Watch to consider...

or Scrivener for Microsoft's Hololens ..http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Ha! :D Or maybe we'll go retro and do Scrivener for the ZX Spectrum:

"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

lo
lolajl

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:48 pm Post

Time to go slap around the Dropbox code monkeys! :lol:

KB
Site Admin

Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:38 am Post

The Dropbox API is painful! We thought it would provide automatic sync on iOS just like Dropbox on Mac and Windows does, but no, it just provides you with a server file list and modification dates, and you have to replicate all the cool syncing stuff Dropbox on desktop does yourself. So we've pretty much had to write our own code using the Dropbox API to replicate what you'd expect it to do... Argh.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

yosimiti

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:02 pm Post

I don't think Scrivener for the Apple watch would be all that bad an idea, actually. Perhaps a little far-fetched but not impossible.

I know editing is next to impossible as there's no keyboard or space to put an on screen keyboard. One can however view the document, scroll through it with the little wheel, and with speech recognition advancing in the way it has (and what I am assuming the Apple watch has incorporated), you could possibly edit a file that way.

I could imagine a potential scenario. You're on a jog, and a sudden flash of insight comes to you, and the only thing you have on you is an Apple watch you are wearing. If scrivener had a little app designed that would greatly improve things.

Br
Briar Kit

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:42 pm Post

When are we going to get Scrivener for the  Car?

:lol:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/13/app ... ctric-car/
Account closed January 2017

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:55 am Post

I can see they hired Terry Gilliam to decorate the surveillance package.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

xiamenese

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:15 am Post

KB wrote:The Dropbox API is painful! We thought it would provide automatic sync on iOS just like Dropbox on Mac and Windows does, but no, it just provides you with a server file list and modification dates, and you have to replicate all the cool syncing stuff Dropbox on desktop does yourself. So we've pretty much had to write our own code using the Dropbox API to replicate what you'd expect it to do... Argh.

Oh dear ... that makes the wish I was waiting to post sometime even less likely. I was hoping, after launch, to suggest including Cubby on the sync list. Why? Because Dropbox is blocked in China, and although I'm not in China, Shirley, my collaborator is, so even though she's now the proud owner of an IPad Air 2, she's not going to be able to use Scrivener on it!

Ah well, maybe one day?

:)

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

KB
Site Admin

Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:41 pm Post

Well, the idea is to add other sync options after we have everything working with Dropbox - post-1.0, and a good while *after* 1.0, too, once we know the methods we are using for syncing are solid. (The sync code has two components, the Dropbox-specific code and separate, generalised code that handles all of the merging and exchanging of files between the desktop and mobile versions, which will be the same for all sync solutions.) It's good to know that Dropbox is blocked in China, though (well, not good that it *is* blocked, of course, but good to know that this is an issue Chinese users will have).

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:52 am Post

Can I just check, just so that I know to keep being enthusiastic about this....

Is the plan that the sync will work between the iOS version and the Windows version also? Not just the OSX version?

It doesn't matter to me that it uses Dropbox, that's what I use to sync between PCs. It matters to me that what I write on my iPad will be synced, rather than there will be some convoluted method of getting the info to your project :)

Just checking.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 am Post

Yes, it will sync with Windows too. The sync code is already in the Mac version (we're testing it there first), but the Windows developer is soon implementing it in Windows, too. When the iOS version is released, there will also be updates to the Mac and Windows versions that provide the sync features.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:38 pm Post

In addition to sync, we'll be supporting simple file access as well, so you will be able to just drop projects onto the device, work on them immediately (no import), and copy them back to the computer when you're ready.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ra
ravensview
Platform: Windows

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:12 pm Post

AmberV wrote:In addition to sync, we'll be supporting simple file access as well, so you will be able to just drop projects onto the device, work on them immediately (no import), and copy them back to the computer when you're ready.

Yay! Looking good!

xiamenese

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:58 am Post

KB wrote:Well, the idea is to add other sync options after we have everything working with Dropbox - post-1.0, and a good while *after* 1.0, too, once we know the methods we are using for syncing are solid. (The sync code has two components, the Dropbox-specific code and separate, generalised code that handles all of the merging and exchanging of files between the desktop and mobile versions, which will be the same for all sync solutions.) It's good to know that Dropbox is blocked in China, though (well, not good that it *is* blocked, of course, but good to know that this is an issue Chinese users will have).

I thought you'd like to know about the Dropbox problem in China ... mind you, they blocked it about 5 years ago and I had to move to SpiderOak, but they unblocked it again a year or so later. It was blocked last year ... maybe they'll unblock it for the Year of the Sheep/Goat/Ram (Take your pick ... 羊 means all of those!) but who knows.

On a related note, I hope the latest update of Dropbox for iOS, 3.7*, will make your lives easier rather than more difficult ... and not make a chunk of your and Tammy's work redundant!

喜羊羊快乐: "Happy Year of the Sheep" to y'all!

:)

Mr X

* "New Action Extension for iOS 8: save files straight to Dropbox from your favourite apps." :D
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:21 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:喜羊羊快乐

Delighted goat goat happy?
Google translate might have a way to go.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image