Novel-in-a-Day 9½ - SPECIAL APOCALYPSE EDITION

Ni
NicDracas
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:12 pm Post

Hmm, feel like I might have been flagged by the CIA or NSA or some other government agency after all the crazy google searches ive just done for information.

EG White House security; distance between situation briefing room and PEOC,; security protocols for PEOC; can the PEOC withstand a nuclear blast?

**walks away whistling innocently** :D :D :D

homeport

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:20 pm Post

Its the masks your after:)
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

url=http://novelinaday.com]Image

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:21 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
I liked this one.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking, “Finally, one that I know something about: the apocalypse!”

**walks off into the smoldering distance, playing accordion and whistling knowingly**
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:35 pm Post

gr wrote:
Jaysen wrote:
I liked this one.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking, “Finally, one that I know something about: the apocalypse!”

I'm not a nut job, but I do like to think I've got a basic handle on what life would be like in America should this nightmare occur. Primarily because I've going through a couple hurricanes and seen the level of stupid at the local, state and federal level. I also like to spend long periods of time with no devices, or even electricity, floating on the surface of the big blue. The mind gets... interesting.

One of the first things I had to do was attempt to separate the facts of what this event would mean to society from the practical impacts it would really have on things like country vs city life; who medical treatments would operate; what military actions would operational or how orders would be executed.

As to the mechanics of the central "government" here... I'm so tired of it that I really appreciate the chapter Porky assigned. It's almost like Piggy said "who's the most likely to get all conspiracy and replace cabinet members with dolphins and pirates..." when he sent out the briefs.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

homeport

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:38 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
gr wrote:
Jaysen wrote:
I liked this one.

I'm not a nut job, but I do like to think I've got a basic handle on what life would be like in America should this nightmare occur. Primarily because I've going through a couple hurricanes and seen the level of stupid at the local, state and federal level. I also like to spend long periods of time with no devices, or even electricity, floating on the surface of the big blue. The mind gets... interesting.

One of the first things I had to do was attempt to separate the facts of what this event would mean to society from the practical impacts it would really have on things like country vs city life; who medical treatments would operate; what military actions would operational or how orders would be executed.

As to the mechanics of the central "government" here... I'm so tired of it that I really appreciate the chapter Porky assigned. It's almost like Piggy said "who's the most likely to get all conspiracy and replace cabinet members with dolphins and pirates..." when he sent out the briefs.

I like Dolphins and pirates I think it would make for an exciting government:) and dont forget after everything that has happened the final straw the alien invasion
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

url=http://novelinaday.com]Image

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:51 pm Post

Done. I’m not sure about what I wrote, but at least I held back on the dialogue this year.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

tanyareed
Platform: Windows

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:09 pm Post

Okay, I'm just getting started (late, I know, but it's taken me this long to figure out how I want to approach my chapter), and I need to know what day of the week this is. Since this takes place on August 29, and I've discovered schools start in DC on the last Monday in August, I need to know if this was a week day or not. Does anyone know? Was this disclosed?

Ve
Velviit
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:15 pm Post

I’ve started on my section of the brief.
Just to let you all know that.

Here we go.. :)

pigfender

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:16 pm Post

tanyareed wrote:Okay, I'm just getting started (late, I know, but it's taken me this long to figure out how I want to approach my chapter), and I need to know what day of the week this is. Since this takes place on August 29, and I've discovered schools start in DC on the last Monday in August, I need to know if this was a week day or not. Does anyone know? Was this disclosed?
August 29, 2019 was a Thursday.
Velviit wrote:I’ve started on my section of the brief.

Woohooo! :D
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

tanyareed

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:27 pm Post

Thanks!

pigfender wrote:
tanyareed wrote:Okay, I'm just getting started (late, I know, but it's taken me this long to figure out how I want to approach my chapter), and I need to know what day of the week this is. Since this takes place on August 29, and I've discovered schools start in DC on the last Monday in August, I need to know if this was a week day or not. Does anyone know? Was this disclosed?
August 29, 2019 was a Thursday.
Velviit wrote:I’ve started on my section of the brief.

Woohooo! :D

nav66

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:49 pm Post

I'm on it! I've been a little quiet lately. Concentrating on how to protect my little family against the COVID-19. But this exercise is a much needed diversion.

It's extra challenging since I am participating in Camp NaNo, But hey, that is the life of a writer. We must be resilient! We must persevere! We must learn how to make light if all the electricity is gone!

tanyareed

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:45 pm Post

Another question...Would guns work? I know anything that needs power wouldn't, like electricity or batteries and stuff, but I have no idea how guns work, so I have no idea if they would in this scenario.

pigfender

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:51 pm Post

tanyareed wrote:Another question...Would guns work? I know anything that needs power wouldn't, like electricity or batteries and stuff, but I have no idea how guns work, so I have no idea if they would in this scenario.

Oh, yes. They'd work. Making more guns or ammo without electricity would be hard, but, yeah a handgun or rifle should work fine.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

TerryTalksFiction

Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:07 pm Post

NicDracas wrote:Hmm, feel like I might have been flagged by the CIA or NSA or some other government agency after all the crazy google searches ive just done for information.

EG White House security; distance between situation briefing room and PEOC,; security protocols for PEOC; can the PEOC withstand a nuclear blast?

**walks away whistling innocently** :D :D :D

Haha, same same - I'm sure my search history looked very interesting trying to get some of the specifics on the monorail tunnels running underneath the Capitol, lol (barely any of which, of course, I ended up using - because I'm really effective at research like that)

TerryTalksFiction

Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:10 pm Post

I'm in polish mode for my chapter now and wow, I found this one difficult! I'm certain I've stuffed up some of the intricacies of the Americal political model somewhere, or accidentally overstepped in the worldbuilding - hopefully everything in the chapter is circular enough that if nothing I've mentioned is brought up again it will still make sense, lol!