Novel-in-a-Day 9½ - SPECIAL APOCALYPSE EDITION

AB
AB17
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:58 am Post

Alobear wrote:Talking about being out of comfort zones - my chapter seems to be all about electrical engineering and I have a BA in English!!
Let the technobabble commence!

Hah! I think I might have the same chapter as you. And I AM an electrical engineer, or at least I used to be, which I would argue makes things a whole lot worse. I mean, how accurate do you need this to be? And how boring could it get if I really went there?

homeport

Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:05 am Post

Read my brief at midnight fell asleep and woke still not sure on this one :) but have begun to get idea where I am going will be interesting read thanks Rog
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

url=http://novelinaday.com]Image

St
Stellalune
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:07 am Post

First draft is doneskies, with 2300 words exactly. I never expected that I'd be spending the great majority of my day researching the American political system, or that I'd even somewhat enjoy doing that! It's nice to be pleasantly surprised like this once in a while :o

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:29 am Post

By the way -- the first THREE chapters are in!
The first one actually arrived five hours ago, but I didn't want to scare the rest of you.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Al
Alobear
Platform: Windows

Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:42 am Post

Why do I never learn?
This project has progressed like pretty much every other single writing project ever:
Enjoy prep (in this case reading all the briefing materials)
Panic for hours/days/weeks that I can't do it (in this case, luckily only 90 minutes)
Finally get my arse in a chair, open up a new document and start typing
And then the words just flow...

Why is actually starting always the hardest thing?

TerryTalksFiction

Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 am Post

Haha, wow! Well done to those who have got their chapters in - my one is haaaaaard, lol.

I'll be writing for the next few (many fews) hours and running word sprints on my Discord channel, if anyone wants to join me and jog each other along :-)

https://discord.gg/M3eMyXF

homeport

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:15 am Post

pigfender wrote:By the way -- the first THREE chapters are in!
The first one actually arrived five hours ago, but I didn't want to scare the rest of you.

arhhhh now worried:)
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Accordion Noir

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:23 am Post

Accordion Noir wrote:1,518 at Midnight in Vancouver.

I wrote my kids in, and there's an squeezebox, but I haven't decided if it's a good accordion, or a bad one.

Governments and religions fall by decisions like this.

Now I'm going to risk going to bed with an early alarm for a last polish (and a friend's proofread).

I hope there's some character development in other chapters because I've mostly building my own little world here. No idea how it'll mesh with others. One mid-apocalyptic vision will flow into the rest.

pe
pete340

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:37 am Post

pigfender wrote:
Accordion Noir wrote:there's an squeezebox, but I haven't decided if it's a good accordion, or a bad one.

Wait... there are *bad* accordions?!

Play an accordion, go to jail. It's the law.
-- Pete Image Image

Al
Alobear

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:45 am Post

1600 words on the nose!

hallda01

Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:34 am Post

As an American from Indiana, I feel like I should've had a pretty good head start on this, but oof I struggled on this one.

ianhart

Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:44 am Post

My chapter is in. 4,200 words in a leisurely 10 hours, much of it with secret plans of the White House open on my desktop. Now for the red wine I've been denying myself.
Ian
There's holes in the sky where the rain gets in
But they're ever so small. That's why rain's so thin.
- Spike Milligan

ImageImage

Jaysen

Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:52 am Post

pigfender wrote:By the way -- the first THREE chapters are in!

Which jerk was that?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Jaysen

Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:53 am Post

ianhart wrote:My chapter is in. 4,200 words in a leisurely 10 hours, much of it with secret plans of the White House open on my desktop. Now for the red wine I've been denying myself.

That last part was the mistake. Brain lube is the key!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

homeport

Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:54 am Post

Its a very special anniversary today for me so as soon as I get this done I am cracking open the champagne, we will do our one walk of the day and then enjoy a nice ribeye steak. :D