Novel-in-a-Day 9½ - SPECIAL APOCALYPSE EDITION

Be
BethCutter
Platform: Windows

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:21 am Post

You mean the Evil fire-spewing spider monsters from Alpha Ceti 6 haven't already killed everybody except a plucky heroine, a handsome but oblivious nerd/scientist, an eight year old red-headed boy with freckles, and his trusty pitbull Petunia in your chapter?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:01 am Post

gr wrote:
Jaysen wrote:
AB17 wrote:
You can't kill them if I kill them first.

But I go back in time and kill both of their parents ...

Dude, that was, like, NIAD 8. As in done already.

IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO HISTORY....

And if it isn't holding rum I don't pay attention!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:48 am Post

BethCutter wrote:You mean the Evil fire-spewing spider monsters from Alpha Ceti 6 haven't already killed everybody except a plucky heroine, a handsome but oblivious nerd/scientist, an eight year old red-headed boy with freckles, and his trusty pitbull Petunia in your chapter?

Hunh, the only part of that which shows up in my chapter is the freckles.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Jaysen

Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:56 am Post

1200 and I haven't gotten past the first sentence of "chapter details". I'm doomed.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Be
BethCutter
Platform: Windows

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:03 am Post

Just checking on a couple of details:

Indented paragraphs, you want a tab rather than spaces, yes?

How about emphasis? Italics or bold, actual or marked with asterisks or something?

Br
BronHogan
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:09 am Post

WOW - first time participant, I am having to research how the Oval Office functions - learning all sorts of things I wouldn't have bothered to find out before :D
Glad I didn't get anything too gory to write about - phew...

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:11 am Post

Hi everyone. Well, it's 3am and the questions seem to have died off on email so I'm going to nip off to bed for a few hours. Please do crowdsource wisdom if you need anything time sensitive, else I've respond to anything that's come through when I wake up!

Best,
Rog.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jaysen

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:14 am Post

BethCutter wrote:Just checking on a couple of details:

Indented paragraphs, you want a tab rather than spaces, yes?

How about emphasis? Italics or bold, actual or marked with asterisks or something?

tabs over spaces is general.
actual makes it easier for piggy.
Jaysen

ImageImage

pe
pete340

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:31 am Post

No electronics means no cars manufactured since about the late 70s, when electronic ignition took over.
-- Pete Image Image

Jaysen

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:36 am Post

pete340 wrote:No electronics means no cars manufactured since about the late 70s, when electronic ignition took over.

no.. it would have impacted ALL electrical including cars that are not diesel. Any non-dieseling ICE would be non-fuctional as they require battery and generator.
Jaysen

ImageImage

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:08 am Post

Jaysen wrote:
pete340 wrote:No electronics means no cars manufactured since about the late 70s, when electronic ignition took over.

no.. it would have impacted ALL electrical including cars that are not diesel. Any non-dieseling ICE would be non-fuctional as they require battery and generator.

It is hard to imagine any diesel car/truck today not using some essential electronics in the chain, e.g. for the fuel injection. But then I don't inject fuel for a living like Jaysen does, so maybe I just don't know?

-gr

P.S. There is a key question here about whether we are talking fried electronic circuits (ala emp), b/c that really is an effect on electronics per se, not all electrical things. Right? So, a simple flashlight, for example, would be uneffected. But the description seems to imply we are dealing with something much more throughly pervasive. As in /nothing/ electrical works?
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Jaysen

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:51 am Post

Based on my brief it is not IC that is problematic. it is ALL electrical circuits. Note that batteries are impacted. At that level ANYTHING electric will fail.

My 1975 MG had no integrated circuit (pre electronic ignition). It still requires electric to run (condenser is a capacitor as is the coil). The would be fired in the event described. These technologies are core to all non diesel engines. That said, most motors prior to 19.75 use mechanical pumps for fuel and carburetors for air/fuel mixture (there were electronic versions for very very high performance vehicles).

Still.. they would be dead dead dead.

ps. I'm an IT nerd by trade. That damn MG made me learn about cars.
Jaysen

ImageImage

Jaysen

Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:02 am Post

Draft done at 2718. I may be able to get this in to Oinky oink oink before he's awake!
Jaysen

ImageImage

Jaysen

Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:35 am Post

Well.. I'm done. 2779. I think that's a lowerish number for me. I've been working to reduce the fluff.

I liked this one. Biggest problem for me is I still have a lot of rum left. Not sure how to solve this problem.... No wait. I think I figured it out.
Jaysen

ImageImage

ja
jaimie
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:03 am Post

I don't suppose you have any unclaimed chapters still hanging...
I just found out, have read all the rules, and am desperate to be part of NiaD Apocalypse Edition!