Novel-in-a-Day 9

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:37 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I don't like either side so burn it all.

As good an approach as any, I guess 8)

Jaysen wrote:And I've given much much much better cause for lifetime bans. But then they let Vic-K stay so they've kind of made it difficult to ban anyone.

I didn't like to say as much ...

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:28 pm Post

I’ve been quiet on the forum this year, but my chapter’s done. Submitted about 10 minutes ago.
As soon as I get confirmation that it was received OK, I’m off to bed (it’s *late* here in Australia).

I also had the black box problem. However, on ipadOS, you can’t adjust tables in Scrivener and Word won’t open RTF. Luckily Pages opened and displayed the file just fine, so I simply copy & pasted from there.

Umm, there was something else I was going to say, probably about Jaysen. Or GR. Or Pigfender. Or maybe Siren (Daylight? Really? I feel for you, I really do, but daylight?).
Complete and utter NOMsense.

homeport

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:44 pm Post

Sitting here on just over 1500 words going to take a short break and then come back finish it off :roll:
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Siren

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:46 pm Post

nom wrote:(Daylight? Really? I feel for you, I really do, but daylight?).

Well, in the hours of daylight, to be more precise. The characters didn't actually have to be outdoors soaking up the old Vitamin D and working on their tan! They just had to be active, and getting from one place to another, during French business hours. Perhaps I expected vampires to be hardier than they turn out to be. :-)

I have just submitted my 3300+ words (set in the darkness of night). A very enjoyable challenge. I haven't written fiction of any sort since I last took part in one of these. Thank you, Pigfender, as always.
Literature & Latte support team

nav66

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:50 pm Post

Rog -

I just re-sent my submitted text by replying to your e-mail. Not sure why my original email (date-stamped 15:34 GMT) didn't make it to you.

Worst case, I can submit it using this forum. Please let me know if that must happen.

Lu
Luxtizer
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:56 pm Post

Really relying a lot on google's English to French translations for this one. Anyone have a more reliable source for double checking the accuracy of French dialogue?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:08 pm Post

Luxtizer wrote:Really relying a lot on google's English to French translations for this one. Anyone have a more reliable source for double checking the accuracy of French dialogue?

Well, I think google is going to send me a bill for my abuse of the translate service. I finally gave up and just said "blah siwtched to french and said" because i'm lazy

it's noon, I've killed half a bottle of rum. I'm 3200 words in and only at the middle. Piggy will likely ban me in the future. in my defense I didn't start writing for real until 8 or so. Made a brief outline last night and threw it away post morning run. bah.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Siren

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:14 pm Post

Jaysen wrote: I've killed half a bottle of rum. [...] in my defense I didn't start writing for real until 8 or so. Made a brief outline last night and threw it away post morning run. bah.

The essential three Rs -- running, writing and rum
Literature & Latte support team

JacquelineM
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:26 pm Post

Well, I’ve finished writing it! It’s 2214 words which is not bad, considering I had complete Writer’s Block when I started.
I wasn’t supposed to know the creepy man was a vampire, but luckily I guessed and @Pigfender confirmed it. But I’ve been very good, and haven’t mentioned the word ‘Vampire’ anywhere in my story.
I’m going to leave it for a while and then edit it before sending, hopefully before 8pm.

I feel exhausted from all the angst and stress. I don’t know if it’s any good, I’m just glad that I finished it.
Btw I’m perplexed that I can no longer find the original file in my emails. IOS doesn’t seem to be able to open rtf files, but I didn’t panic — just copied and pasted into Scrivener instead.
I’ve written the whole thing in IOS this time but I haven’t updated to the latest version yet: I didn’t want to tempt providence on today of all days.
One thing I’ve learned from this exercise is that I write best in longhand so that when I type it up it’s the second draft.
Btw one of my WIPs is about vampires but it’s comedic. This one is pure horror! :shock:

Jaysen

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:36 pm Post

you all be that way.keep it short and stick to the plans. y'all are traitors!

I'm at 4k and the love interest that was NOT in my brief is making her play.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Lu
Luxtizer

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:43 pm Post

Very impressed by some of the word counts here. I'm at 2.5K and hitting the home stretch. Probably will end up with about 3K after edits.

ConradG

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:59 pm Post

Luxtizer wrote:Very impressed by some of the word counts here. I'm at 2.5K and hitting the home stretch. Probably will end up with about 3K after edits.

What does that word mean... "edits" ??

Jaysen

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:59 pm Post

800 words of good writing beats 8K words of meaningless drivel.

I'm going for the drivel!
Jaysen

Lu
Luxtizer

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:03 pm Post

ConradG wrote:
Luxtizer wrote:Very impressed by some of the word counts here. I'm at 2.5K and hitting the home stretch. Probably will end up with about 3K after edits.

What does that word mean... "edits" ??

In my case it just means re-reading the whole thing and making sure in doesn't come across as incoherent rambling. Not enough time for much else under these conditions.

Just finished and sent it off, almost 3K words exactly. This was great fun! Hope everyone else is having a good time with it.

VDGriesdoorn

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:06 pm Post

Ehh... hey... peeps... what vampires?

I think I might be chapter #1. Haha.

Anyway, submitted 3.6K words just now and gave Rog a headache formatting my text. Oops, sorry, Rog. Love you! :oops: