Page 1 of 1

Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:09 pm
by pigfender
I seem to have mislaid both my Scrivener compile format settings file and my Photoshop template for creating the front covers.

The compile settings aren't a problem, of course, because I upload a compile preferences file to this forum every year so with the magic of Scrivener I can simply download 'em and reinstall. The photoshop file for the covers, though, will need to be recreated.

But both do present an opportunity... What do people think of the book layouts and covers...?

Would you prefer that I recreate the same cover template so your NiaDs all look the same in your ebook library? If we changed the style, would you want the old books re-compiled to match the new edition covers?

And what about the typography / book design itself? Does it work? Anything else you'd like included? If you've always hated Garamond, now is your chance to influence the design in time for NiaD8!

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:54 pm
by nom
pigfender wrote:I seem to have mislaid both my Scrivener compile format settings file and my Photoshop template for creating the front covers.

The compile settings aren't a problem, of course, because I upload a compile preferences file to this forum every year so with the magic of Scrivener I can simply download 'em and reinstall. The photoshop file for the covers, though, will need to be recreated.

But both do present an opportunity... What do people think of the book layouts and covers...?

Would you prefer that I recreate the same cover template so your NiaDs all look the same in your ebook library? If we changed the style, would you want the old books re-compiled to match the new edition covers?

And what about the typography / book design itself? Does it work? Anything else you'd like included? If you've always hated Garamond, now is your chance to influence the design in time for NiaD8!


I’m a traditionalist - what’s the point of tradition if you don’t keep it?
Unless there’s a better option, then change can be good.

In terms of NiaD, I lean towards keeping the same look, but if you’ve got better ideas...

Rationale: you came up with the original, and that was good. So the odds are, if you change it the new version would be good too.

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:41 pm
by Jaysen
Leave it alone!

I guess that's it.

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 pm
by gr
Time to institute a comprehensive backup strategy!

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:15 pm
by Jaysen
gr wrote:Time to institute a comprehensive backup strategy!

You're off topic!

Let's see if he moves you to a new thread or if you have not yet attained the REAL level of *

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:32 am
by Camy
Jaysen wrote:
gr wrote:Time to institute a comprehensive backup strategy!

You're off topic!

Let's see if he moves you to a new thread or if you have not yet attained the REAL level of *


Umm... Pigfender's mislaid his files, so I'd plump for GR being on topic... partially.
If you've the time, inclination, and can't find the old templates, then a re-design might be fun. But only if it's for all of them. Me, I like a matching set. :D
It's your party, so your call.
Rock on Jan 26th!

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:32 pm
by Jaysen
Camy wrote:Umm... Pigfender's mislaid his files, so I'd plump for GR being on topic... partially.


Ah... you misinterpret my attempted poke in my own eye. As one of the more rabid off-topicers who's posts frequently get amputated from the original thread by Mr Bacon, I like to make noise and rattle a cage or seven when the opportunity arises. Mr Bacon generally has a good backup plan so I'm sure the "mislaid" nature of his files is less to do with technology and more to do with age related mental cloudiness.

Which is a sign that he's almost old enough to ride the tube alone.

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:52 pm
by Camy
Jaysen wrote:
Camy wrote:Umm... Pigfender's mislaid his files, so I'd plump for GR being on topic... partially.


Ah... you misinterpret my attempted poke in my own eye. As one of the more rabid off-topicers who's posts frequently get amputated from the original thread by Mr Bacon, I like to make noise and rattle a cage or seven when the opportunity arises. Mr Bacon generally has a good backup plan so I'm sure the "mislaid" nature of his files is less to do with technology and more to do with age related mental cloudiness.

Which is a sign that he's almost old enough to ride the tube alone.


Ah, all becomes clearish. A pleasure to meet a fellow poker-in-the-own-eyer.

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 pm
by vic-k
Jaysen wrote: .....old enough to ride the tube alone.
Which is a euphemism for 'Mainlining on Literary Hallucinogens'
Careful who you talk to around these 'ere parts, CAMY :wink:

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 am
by Camy
vic-k wrote:
Jaysen wrote: .....old enough to ride the tube alone.
Which is a euphemism for 'Mainlining on Literary Hallucinogens'
Careful who you talk to around these 'ere parts, CAMY :wink:

I vaguely remember literary hallucinations beginning at London Bridge. On the tube you'd be tunnelling through literary tropes.

Re: Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:17 pm
by Jaysen
Camy wrote:
vic-k wrote:
Jaysen wrote: .....old enough to ride the tube alone.
Which is a euphemism for 'Mainlining on Literary Hallucinogens'
Careful who you talk to around these 'ere parts, CAMY :wink:

I vaguely remember literary hallucinations beginning at London Bridge. On the tube you'd be tunnelling through literary tropes.

Tripping though litanies of tunneled thoughts

I like this game!