NiaD 7: The Magnificent NiaD

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:48 pm Post

isy wrote:Hello,

since I'm doing this for the first time and English is not my native language, I was wondering if there is any good soul who is willing to proof read my chapter before the deadline ?

I'm doing this for the first time too, but I'm happy to help. I have reasonable French and Spanish, so I can empathise. It takes me hours to write a few hundred words in either.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:53 pm Post

Just a bit of culture to aid things along :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yulmgTcGLZw
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

hj
hjordisa
Platform: Linux

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:00 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Nope - it's based on the sound. So, one would say:
- a European
- an FBI agent.

He meant because "literature" starts with a consonant. The same way it would be "a Federal Bureau of Investigation agent."
FBI is all well and good, but it tends to trip me up as well for less common initialisms because I expand them automatically as I'm read/writing them so the fact that the letter is pronounced with a vowel sound never crosses my mind.
The technicalities of that, I'm not positive of and don't feel like looking up just now, but my instinct is that you're probably right. It's not like the UK/US "h" that can vary based on the writer's pronunciation. "L&L" isn't SUPPOSED to be pronounced as "literature and latte," so it wouldn't be given the same indefinite article, even if the writer is silly and pronounces the full phrase while writing the abbreviation.

Jaysen

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:18 pm Post

Edit for clarity...

Piggy!! Don’t you have work to do?

:P
Last edited by Jaysen on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 pm Post

hjordisa wrote:
- a European
- an FBI agent.

He meant because "literature" starts with a consonant. The same way it would be "a Federal Bureau of Investigation agent."
FBI is all well and good, but it tends to trip me up as well for less common initialisms because I expand them automatically as I'm read/writing them so the fact that the letter is pronounced with a vowel sound never crosses my mind.
The technicalities of that, I'm not positive of and don't feel like looking up just now, but my instinct is that you're probably right. It's not like the UK/US "h" that can vary based on the writer's pronunciation. "L&L" isn't SUPPOSED to be pronounced as "literature and latte," so it wouldn't be given the same indefinite article, even if the writer is silly and pronounces the full phrase while writing the abbreviation.

I'm not taking my Johnny Utah YouTube clip down. I AM AN EFF BEE EYE AGENT
8)
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Jaysen

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:54 pm Post

I resemble that closing remark.

And I do actually read it as “lit and lay” when I see L&L.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Maerahn
Platform: Windows

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:59 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Okay - sign up is now CLOSED!
NOT.
LONG.
NOW.

And it's really real this time! :lol:
For years I waited for a Writing Angel to sprinkle her magic Confidence Dust on me. But she never came. That's when I realised I was going to have to find my own dust.

devinganger

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:57 pm Post

hjordisa wrote:
- a European
- an FBI agent.

From my experience, whether or not you use the sound of the initial or the expanded word is a function of whichever style guide you're working by. For a non-initialized word, pigfender is indeed correct (at least, I don't recall seeing any sources say otherwise).
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

pigfender

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:59 pm Post

So.... An hour to go.

Nothin' to do now but wait until I can press send on all those emails in my drafts folder.

Ooo look! A beer!
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

Jaysen

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:26 pm Post

pigfender wrote:So.... An hour to go.

Nothin' to do now but wait until I can press send on all those emails in my drafts folder.

Ooo look! A beer!

Imagine how much different things would be if we had the "right to beer arms"...
Jaysen

Jaysen

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 pm Post

Anyone else smell bacon?
Jaysen

rdale

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:55 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:

Ooo look! A beer!

Imagine how much different things would be if we had the "right to beer arms"...

Like arms? Made of beer? How would I hold a beer with arms made of beer? Oh, yeah, I'd just drink my arms. But then I'd have no beer arms left, and no arms to hold more beer.

I don't think you've thought this through, Jaysen. :|
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

pigfender

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:00 pm Post

InfMonk_3750 copy.jpg
InfMonk_3750 copy.jpg (113.16 KiB) Viewed 1453 times

Jaysen

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:00 pm Post

rdale wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

Ooo look! A beer!

Like arms? Made of beer? How would I hold a beer with arms made of beer? Oh, yeah, I'd just drink my arms. But then I'd have no beer arms left, and no arms to hold more beer.

I don't think you've thought this through, Jaysen. :|

I said "different" not "better".

Now, as a #2 type, none of my arms are bare. All have may different decorations and coverings.

:P
Jaysen

Jaysen

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:01 pm Post

pigfender wrote:InfMonk_3750 copy.jpg

OOOO OOOO OOOO OOOO
Jaysen