Novel-in-a-Day 4.0: Live Free or NiaD

r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:12 pm Post

matt wrote:And did I mention no shenanigans? Definitely no shenanigans. At least not unless my co-conspirators can exhibit a little more subtlety than last year!

Those co-conspirators of yours should be ashamed of themselves!
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

r6d2

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Everything has a reason.

I'm trying to crack the code... My guess so far is that it's sort of an indication of NiaD previous experience.
  • ^ means 3 NiaDs so far
  • " means 2 NiaDs so far
  • ' means 1 NiaD so far
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

r6d2

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:30 pm Post

pigfender wrote:If demand is sufficient, instead of turning people away as we have in previous years, we'll produce more than one version of the book!

Interesting indeed. It might even have a sort of "choose your adventure" structure.

Have you considering to allow people write two different chapters? (I don't mean two versions of the same chapter, but two whole chapters).
r6d2

--Julio Cortázar

Jaysen

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:36 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:
pigfender wrote:Everything has a reason.

I'm trying to crack the code... My guess so far is that it's sort of an indication of NiaD previous experience.
  • ^ means 3 NiaDs so far
  • " means 2 NiaDs so far
  • ' means 1 NiaD so far

that must leave
  • - fresh meat
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

rb
rblunden

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:17 pm Post

I'm definitely up for it. Did I see somewhere that you would like to see an example of writing of people who haven't participated before? Happy to do so.

Roger

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:42 am Post

Yes please! I've sent you a forum message with details.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

El
ElleDechene
Platform: Windows

Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:09 pm Post

Please count me in. Hello to everyone :D

~ Elle

Fl
FleetAdmiralO
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:33 pm Post

Hey!

I'd love to be counted in for this year! Had a great time last year!

Thanks!

waldo

pigfender

Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:56 pm Post

Roger, Elle, WELCOME!
FleetAdmiralO, WELCOME BACK! Not bad. 21 participants and we've only been live a couple of days.

For those keeping score, I now have the two paragraph version of the plot, and the POOEE questions!
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

r6d2

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:15 pm Post

pigfender wrote:For those keeping score, I now have the two paragraph version of the plot, and the POOEE questions!

OMG!, are we going to paraphrase one of the great Edgar Allan POE's works this year? :mrgreen:
r6d2

--Julio Cortázar

shorn
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:43 pm Post

Sign me up!

--Simon

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:55 pm Post

pigfender in the FAQ wrote: 2) I reserve the right to punish Matt by whatever means are available to me.

matt wrote:Making me precede or follow Bywater yet again is too much to bear.

No worries! Given this year's format, pigfender ( :twisted: ) can give you the very same chapter as Bywater.

Be
BethCutter

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:47 pm Post

Question: Given the new "multiple versions of a segment possible" procedure -- which sounds excellent to me -- I wonder if perhaps you could add one more option for the volunteers? Besides being able to opt into/out of gore, could we ask to be assigned to a segment with multiple writers?

The reason I ask is that at present my schedule for that time period is kind of iffy. Under the old rules I simply wouldn't sign up this go round because of the real possibility of not being able to write that day.

But if I could know that either way there wouldn't be a hole because someone else would also be writing that segment....?

pigfender

Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:15 pm Post

I think I'm going to deny that one. If the project doesn't have that horrid gut churning fear of letting everyone down... well then it doesn't have the same drive to complete, the same pressure to inspire creativity, or the joy of submission.

In other words, if you drop out, you'll still leave a hole.

I'd also reiterate that early sign-up makes my life much easier!

One thing I WOULD consider, is if a participant was inviting a bunch of people from their writing group along, then I'd be happy to arrange it so that they were all different chapters and in the same version of the book.

So yes... this year you can encourage your writing pals to join instead of keeping it a secret from them in the fear that they'd steal your place.

Montree_Whiles

Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:11 pm Post

I'm in. Where do I sign? .... She reaches for the quill, dips it in the blood of the morning's sacrifice and writes .... "I Montrée Whiles ... yada, yada, yada."

Works out well my upcoming request for time off coincides with this auspicious day. It's not unequal in importance to Unification Day (aka: Brown-Coat Day). I've set every device in my apartment to sound the claxon on this day of all days ... .

See you all there!
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein