Novel-in-a-Day 3: With a Vengeance

r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:12 am Post

vic-k wrote:[...] is nothing more than a feeble inferior rip off, imitation of a long proselytised feature concept of mine!!

Oh, no, Vic! The PNo1WWBSBBBR button is never gonna happen as a single click! You will just have to stick to the manual process of File|Import|Files... Anna Karenina.DOC, and adjust the Compile|Replacement settings accordingly.

Just make sure you get a proper DOC file source, since a PDF won't do the trick :)

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:56 am Post

r6d2 wrote:

Code: Select all

You will just have to stick to the manual process of File|Import|Files... Anna Karenina.DOC, and adjust the Compile|Replacement settings accordingly.
Just make sure you get a proper DOC file source, since a PDF won't do the trick :
)
Young r6d2. To be able to follow, or do as you've instructed, my human would have to enrol on an Extensive Mega Extended Computer Literacy course, with the emphasis on mega extended. Even then, there would be no guarantee of success. Befuddled and bewildered, being the probable outcome. That's why he wants a PNo1WWBSBBBR button. Doesn't take a lot of figuring out... 'snot rocket science. How far above sea level is your Andean pied-à-terre? You're not suffering from oxygen starvation of the brain... are you?
Fluff

Juddbert
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:51 am Post

I suspect Vic-k would make do with a PINOTNOIR tap, mounted anywhere within easy reach and serving as a mechanism for achieving his preferred state of Pffffrrrrtttt.

r6d2

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:51 pm Post

Fluff wrote:That's why he wants a PNo1WWBSBBBR button. Doesn't take a lot of figuring out...

Oh, old Fluff. I perfectly understand why he wants the PNo1WWBSBBBR button. My post just stated that it's never gonna happen. Doesn't take a lot of figuring out either... :)

As cumbersome as the suggested procedure -to overcome that fact- may appear to the un-initiated, I think you're under estimating your human. In fact, he well may be not human.

Perhaps his nickname Vic is a secret tribute to the Commodore VIC-20 computers from the eighties, designed to run on a 6502 Motorola CPU. Plain old simple 8 bit processor. But, surprisingly, the same processor used by the T-800 series in the Terminator movies.

Or perhaps my own nick is a tribute to the Star War movies, or I'm myself a droid. But anyway, you should not under estimate the power of the Force. :)

Fluff wrote:How far above sea level is your Andean pied-à-terre? You're not suffering from oxygen starvation of the brain... are you?

Well, I'm actually located below sea-level, closer to the planet core than the average life form, so oxygen supply is not an issue here. ;)

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:50 pm Post

Just a few hours over THREE WEEKS to go. Which sounds like a lot, but it's going to fly by...

We still have ONE PLACE left to fill.

Re
Reliquary
Platform: Windows

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:51 pm Post

me me pick me!.. i love doing stuff like this

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:18 pm Post

With Reliquary, that brings us to TWENTY-FIVE participants!

Anyone beyond this point interested in signing up, I'm afraid we are now full. I'd be happy to put you on a list for reserve places just in case anyone drops out.

Fluff

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:23 pm Post

Congrats Reliquary :-)) Good luck.

Fluff

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:40 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:
Fluff wrote:That's why he wants a PNo1WWBSBBBR button. Doesn't take a lot of figuring out...

Oh, old Fluff. I perfectly understand why he wants the PNo1WWBSBBBR button. My post just stated that it's never gonna happen. But he doesn't want to know that!! Why don't y' go ahead and tell him there is no Farther Christmas, into the bargain!! Humans... spare me....
Doesn't take a lot of figuring out either... :) y'right! It doesn't

As cumbersome as the suggested procedure -to overcome that fact- may appear to the un-initiated, I think you're under estimating your human. In fact, he well may be not human.

Perhaps his nickname Vic is a secret tribute to the Commodore VIC-20 computers from the eighties, designed to run on a 6502 Motorola CPU. Plain old simple 8 bit processor. But, surprisingly, the same processor used by the T-800 series in the Terminator movies.

Or perhaps my own nick is a tribute to the Star War movies, or I'm myself a droid. But anyway, you should not under estimate the power of the Force. :)

Fluff wrote:How far above sea level is your Andean pied-à-terre? You're not suffering from oxygen starvation of the brain... are you?

Well, I'm actually located below sea-level, closer to the planet core than the average life form, so oxygen supply is not an issue here. ;)
Saint preserve us all!! Just what we need! One of Scrivener's miscreanti next to the Earth's core. No wonder we're plagued by: tremors; earthquakes; volcanoes and tsunamis :-((

nom

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:41 pm Post

Fluff wrote:Why don't y' go ahead and tell him there is no Farther Christmas, into the bargain!! Humans... spare me....

WHAT??? Why would anyone say a thing like that? That's just cruel. Everyone knows that if you don't believe in Santa he doesn't bring you any presents. My aunt taught me this when I was 7 years old and it is possibly the truest thing she ever said. As I aged, I developed a fine appreciation of the truth of what she taught me.
Note: This same aunt also used to sing "I'm happy Jack the Ripper", so I paid attention to what she said! I can still remember the song.

BUT in a futile attempt to remain topic: 3 weeks! Ouch.

nom

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:51 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:Perhaps his nickname Vic is a secret tribute to the Commodore VIC-20 computers from the eighties, designed to run on a 6502 Motorola CPU. Plain old simple 8 bit processor. But, surprisingly, the same processor used by the T-800 series in the Terminator movies.

Really? Are you making this up…?
If true, that might be the second coolest thing I've heard since I learnt the words to Happy Jack…

There is a theory on these boards that we are all figments of vic-k's imagination. If true, and vic-k is really a T-8000 model Terminator, then that has some serious implications for our knowledge of the creativity of androids. And may also explain much of the content of the 3-word story.

pigfender: too late to change the plot of this year's NIAD?
(How about that as a return to topic?)

nom

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:52 pm Post

Reliquary wrote:me me pick me!.. i love doing stuff like this

Welcome aboard! :)

(On topic all the way!)

r6d2

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:20 pm Post

nom wrote:
r6d2 wrote:[...] 6502 Motorola CPU. Plain old simple 8 bit processor. But, surprisingly, the same processor used by the T-800 series in the Terminator movies.

Really? Are you making this up…?

The T-800 part... Absolutely not! See for yourself!

About Vic's true nature, I'm afraid it's classified information revealed only on a need to know basis. And I don't need to know :)

r6d2

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:43 pm Post

Fluff wrote:
r6d2 wrote:Oh, old Fluff. I perfectly understand why he wants the PNo1WWBSBBBR button. My post just stated that it's never gonna happen.
But he doesn't want to know that!! Why don't y' go ahead and tell him there is no Farther Christmas, into the bargain!!

Oh, Fluff, my friend, you're missing the whole point. I told him the truth about the button, but also provided a manual procedure to use instead. A procedure that actually works.

In fact, it's like telling him that it doesn't matter whether Santa exists or not, because the elves will build the toys anyway.
Fluff wrote:Saint preserve us all!! Just what we need! One of Scrivener's miscreanti next to the Earth's core.

But you don't believe neither in Santa nor the elves, do you? Who's the true miscreant here then? :)

gr

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:06 pm Post

nom wrote:
r6d2 wrote:6502 Motorola CPU . . . surprisingly, the same processor used by the T-800 series in the Terminator movies.

Really? Are you making this up…? . . . There is a theory on these boards that we are all figments of vic-k's imagination. If true, and vic-k is really a T-8000 model Terminator, then that has some serious implications...

But you have to remember, vic-k is a Thread Terminator model terminator. Even an 8-bit 6502 Motorola chip would be way overpowered for that. Nah, his old 2-bit processor can get the job done.*

--gr

* This is not to say the VIC-2 doesn't come with any cool special effects. I understand distilled spirits do a kind of liquid metal number on his brains.