Novel-in-a-Day 3: With a Vengeance

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:45 pm Post

matt wrote:I am from Melbourne.The one that has been puzzling me all day is why some people have "r" and some people have "s" next to their name on the list of participants in the second post. Matt

I figured that was 'r' for 'repeat offender' and 's' for, um, 'virgin'. Unless it is tracking the grisly/non-grisly divide.

gr

Foxtrot
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:57 pm Post

Hi Pigfender.

Just finished. Sorry it's late - the day panned out exactly as I posted last night. Hope it doesn't show. On its way shortly

Foxtrot

VDGriesdoorn

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:43 pm Post

My sub is in.

I can read your chapter for you, Montree, if you want. I'll PM you my email.

V.

Montree_Whiles
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:11 pm Post

Thank you. Saw the PM. Will send it poste haste.

VDGriesdoorn wrote:My sub is in.

I can read your chapter for you, Montree, if you want. I'll PM you my email.

V.

Montree_Whiles

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:41 pm Post

A note, here. It would seem that according to the more extensive "Mafia speak" list provided at this link: http://www.netplaces.com/mafia/mafia-lingo/, capo and caporegime are not necessarily interchangeable. Just sayin'.

Ro
Rollerdiva

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:43 pm Post

Done! (Okay so it took longer than an hour)
Big whoop whoops to the Pigfender again. The man must be a genius. The pack was comprehensive, the research materials really useful. (Loved that 16mm film!) The story was a joy to get into. (At least my chapter was!) Had real fun writing today. Thank you for giving your time to this again. Long may it continue! Off to consume wine.

r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:46 pm Post

Package delivered. My chapter ended up having 1.507 words. :-)

Good luck to poor pigfender during the -I presume- most laborious and intense part of the quest!

Montree_Whiles

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:03 pm Post

Just got Victoria's look-see in. Doing a few final edits. Soon, it's coming soon. :D

VDGriesdoorn wrote:I can read your chapter for you, Montree, if you want. I'll PM you my email.

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:05 pm Post

pigfender wrote:FAR fewer questions this year. What do people think? Did it hit a sweet spot of information, or were there less questions because it was too prescriptive?

Sweet spot? Yes. I liked the approach of "this is what happened, but don't say how." I liked that you gave enough background information that I could start to imagine the setting, but with enough flexibility that I could imagine the characters for myself.

At first I had a "but nothing happens, PigFender already said it all in one paragraph!" moment, but then I started mapping the characters involved and imagining how they might respond to the events as described. There were enough gaps to explore to build a narrative out of them.

kirtvee

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:05 pm Post

There! 2776 words of pure mafioso garbage off to Mr. Pigfender! And one hour before the hard deadline at that!

Definitely liked the background material. Thought level of information was good! Looking forward to seeing the final result!

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:16 pm Post

For those that are keeping score, we have only three chapter to come.

If I've had your chapter, then you've had an email back confirming it.

ma
matt

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 pm Post

Damn, I woke up early.

Oh well, now I get to sit back and watch the chaos for an hour.

Information pack seemed about right to me. I have a love/hate relationship with the whole lack of information thing, so I am always screaming for more information about what has happened, what's to come, and where I am in the order.

But it certainly wasn't overly prescriptive in my chapter.

The "this has been done, don't talk about it" sounds like a good idea... although mine was blank so I didn't get to see its effect.

Matt

VDGriesdoorn

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:28 pm Post

matt wrote:
The "this has been done, don't talk about it" sounds like a good idea... although mine was blank so I didn't get to see its effect.

Ooh, does that mean you're first this year??

r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:36 pm Post

VDGriesdoorn wrote:
matt wrote:

I don't think so. The same thing happened to me and in fact I felt compelled to ask pigfender if I had got the first chapter. His answer made me understand the "feel free to elaborate"approach, whereas information was provided on a strictly need to know basis.

VDGriesdoorn

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:
VDGriesdoorn wrote:
matt wrote:

I don't think so. The same thing happened to me and in fact I felt compelled to ask pigfender if I had got the first chapter. His answer made me understand the "feel free to elaborate"approach, whereas information was provided on a strictly need to know basis.

Ah! Makes sense. I did have a note in that box. :) But not much.