Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:36 pm Post

So how much is missing in the end?

VDGriesdoorn

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:01 pm Post

[quote="pigfender"][quote="michaelbywater"]Dear Pigfender

Bravo on the finished product.

When you come to recompile for the other formats, could you remove my # marks, which are just standard mark up for a blank line and shouldn't appear in the final version? Thanks.[/quote]

Will do[/quote]

My section is fine. I have a *** break in there too, just like Michael. Could you delete that? (Chapter 20) If that's deleted the last line will also fall on the previous page and won't look so awkward alone on a page.

I did look over the rest of the MS.

Chapter 1: Seems to have a lot of tabs in there (probably used in the orig draft as indents rather than using the indent slides. Tab indents format very awkwardly in ebooks.

Chapter 5: Double spaces to separate sentences throughout. (Simple to fix with find&replace)

Chapter 6: Double space in third line.

Chapter 9: Pages 68 and 72 have bold text; this should be italics.

Chapter 12: Double space in the last line of page 94. Double space in the first line of page 96.

Chapter 13: Tab indent in the second to last line of page 107. Tab indent in the seventh line of page 108.

Chapter 14: Double spaces to separate sentences throughout.

Chapter 15: Double space in the second line of page 124.

Chapter 16: Five dots instead of a period and one ellipsis in the seventh line from the end of page 145. Line break in the last sentence of the chapter.

Chapter 19: Tab indent in the fourth line from the bottom on page 160. Double space in the first line of page 162. Double space in the eighth line of page 165.

Chapter 21: First page and a half is in italics. This should be regular text followed by a line break. *** to be replaced by line break on page 180.

Overall: the top and bottom margins seem to be very wide. The standard in ebooks is 1 inch or 2.54 centrimetre for all margins (sides as well as top and bottom). Maybe you could adjust them.

HTH
V.
Last edited by VDGriesdoorn on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:23 pm Post

Only 1 shy (Ch7) in the end. I used that as an opportunity to shoe what everyones briefs looked like.

Montree_Whiles
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:44 pm Post

[quote="homeport"]I am being thick I have tried Picasso, Flickr and Facebook URL for image and keep getting message its not an allowed url?[/quote]

i use photo bucket (photobucket.com). worked for me. make sure you're using the correct image format a well.

okay. looks great. wow! just one thing. pen name versus mundane name please. is that possible? i don't write, but montree whiles does. we sat down together this morning over a cuppa and disscussed the book as well, and she, montree whiles agrees, it's better to credit her rather than me the non-writer. :p can't wait to share this with my writers' group. i now have a use for my box.com account. but really and truly, i also hope to share a link on my LJ and Facebook pages, so really hope to not have my name in the piece.

hey, if i figure out the font (i think i can) i can remove the double spacing and change my name and send you the pdf file corrected if it'll help. next time you do this (please let's not wait a year), why not delegate some tasks to folks to help you out. i'd be willing to pitch in.

well, i'm going back to bed, because i can. i'm going to take the notification off to my phone since we're done here for the most part.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:20 pm Post

Hey, all the double-spacing between scenes seems to be missing in my section - could you fix that and restore the scene breaks, please? It's hardly great literature as-is, and without the scene breaks it's even worse. Thanks!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

mi
michaelbywater

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:20 pm Post

"Chapter 1: Seems to have a lot of tabs in there (probably used in the orig draft as indents rather than using the indent slides. Tab indents format very awkwardly in ebooks."

Odd. I didn't use a single one. Ruler indents, in Scrivener, all the way...

Montree_Whiles

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:22 pm Post

[quote="michaelbywater"]"Chapter 1: Seems to have a lot of tabs in there (probably used in the orig draft as indents rather than using the indent slides. Tab indents format very awkwardly in ebooks."

Odd. I didn't use a single one. Ruler indents, in Scrivener, all the way...[/quote]

some things don't follow well with scrivener. it drops my italics every time when i copy and paste. but i do use the application faithfully and love it.

VDGriesdoorn

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:27 pm Post

I see Pigfender commented after my edited post. Here are the revisions I noticed again, in case Pigfender doesn't notice them in the original post;

My section is fine. I have a *** break in there too, just like Michael. Could you delete that? (Chapter 20) If that's deleted the last line will also fall on the previous page and won't look so awkward alone on a page.

I did look over the rest of the MS.

Chapter 1: Seems to have a lot of tabs in there (probably used in the orig draft as indents rather than using the indent slides. Tab indents format very awkwardly in ebooks.

Chapter 5: Double spaces to separate sentences throughout. (Simple to fix with find&replace)

Chapter 6: Double space in third line.

Chapter 9: Pages 68 and 72 have bold text; this should be italics.

Chapter 12: Double space in the last line of page 94. Double space in the first line of page 96.

Chapter 13: Tab indent in the second to last line of page 107. Tab indent in the seventh line of page 108.

Chapter 14: Double spaces to separate sentences throughout.

Chapter 15: Double space in the second line of page 124. Also, Keith adds; 'the scene breaks need reinstating in Chapter 15. :) There are a number of scenes in there which have been run together'.

Chapter 16: Five dots instead of a period and one ellipsis in the seventh line from the end of page 145. Line break in the last sentence of the chapter.

Chapter 19: Tab indent in the fourth line from the bottom on page 160. Double space in the first line of page 162. Double space in the eighth line of page 165.

Chapter 21: First page and a half is in italics. This should be regular text followed by a line break. *** to be replaced by line break on page 180.

Overall: the top and bottom margins seem to be very wide. The standard in ebooks is 1 inch or 2.54 centrimetre for all margins (sides as well as top and bottom). Maybe you could adjust them.

HTH
V.
Last edited by VDGriesdoorn on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:29 pm Post

Montree_Whiles wrote:some things don't follow well with scrivener. it drops my italics every time when i copy and paste. but i do use the application faithfully and love it.

Scrivener doesn't drop italics when you copy and paste, nor does it lose other formatting - at least the Mac version doesn't. Are you using the Windows version? If so, please report this as a bug in the Windows tech support forum.

Thanks!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:32 pm Post

VDGriesdoorn - if you are keeping a running tab, don't forget that the scene breaks need reinstating in Chapter 15. :) There are a number of scenes in there which have been run together, as mentioned in my last post. Ta!

Montree_Whiles

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:34 pm Post

[quote="KB"]Scrivener doesn't drop italics when you copy and paste, nor does it lose other formatting - at least the Mac version doesn't. Are you using the Windows version? If so, please report this as a bug in the Windows tech support forum.[/quote]

oh, yes, windows. is there anything else? (imagine there's an emoticon here with a tongue sticking out) and yes it does. i lose them every time. i end up manually putting the italics back in every flippin' time. :p i don't use the convert option because it takes too much time to arrive at my final document. copy, paste, print. run outta the door. and yes, i've reported it by email (well maybe it wasn't in the email i know i had reported something by email) and when i finally got on the forums. i did post it in one of the forum bug posts, i think. i'll check and if it's not there (i had a list of stuff) i'll put it in. :D

btw, didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:41 pm Post

No one toe's are stepped on, no fear! It's just that if there are bugs we like to fix 'em. :) I just tested copying and pasting text with italics on the Windows version and it seemed to work, so there must be something specific at play. But if you emailed it in, that's great, thank you!

All the best,
Keith

VDGriesdoorn

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:44 pm Post

Added your scene break problem in, Keith!

Victoria

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:45 pm Post

Thanks Victoria, much appreciated!

Montree_Whiles

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:48 pm Post

[quote="KB"]No one toe's are stepped on, no fear! It's just that if there are bugs we like to fix 'em. :) I just tested copying and pasting text with italics on the Windows version and it seemed to work, so there must be something specific at play. But if you emailed it in, that's great, thank you!

All the best,
Keith[/quote]

i went back to where i posted the bugs and modded the list so that part stands out. if there's a better place to post the bugs though, let me know. i did so under the entry for the recent beta version.

going back to bed for reallies now. those sheep are almost to the other end of the pasture now. gotta go catch them.