Novel-in-a-Day (NIAD)... Day

Br
Brian B
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:00 am Post

Rog:

I see you mentioned in the thread that there would be some other supplementary info for the House. Is there anything...?

B

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:06 am Post

Got it, about ten minutes ago (delay at my end).

pjs

jr
jravan
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:19 am Post

Well, it turns out I have a meeting later today (it's currently 1am local, 6am Cornwall). When we scheduled this, the meeting didn't conflict. Now it does. But, I'm still doing this. I'm writing through the night to get a draft and ask any questions that come up as a result.

I have to be finished by 7pm local. I should get home from the meeting by 5pm. Unfortunately, it lasts most of the day. But I'll have a couple of hours to do some editing. And if I can get a draft complete before I leave this morning (6:30am local, 11:30am Cornwall), the meeting should force me away from the story long enough to get some perspective.

Yeah. Right.

Montree_Whiles

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:23 am Post

just wanted to say the notifications are now working perfectly. not only do i get one in email, i get one on my cell. let's just say i've been notified. :p

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:24 am Post

On the House...

It's a rental cottage (1 story) in the country. Secluded from view by trees round most sides and a creek and some trees at the back. It has a wooden beam support structure. The nearest neighouring cottact is a good walk, but is on a hill so can see down on the cottage if there were things like flames ansd such the like ;)

It has 4 bedrooms (John and Claire are a couple) and 2 bathrooms - 1 at either end of the cottage. However, to get to one you need to go down an L-shaped corridor with a busted light fitting so it's pretty gloomy.
The centre of the place is in three main rooms - a kitchen a dining room and seating area. There is a gas BBQ out the back and hottub (empty). The whole place is littered with storage cupboards. Inbetween two of the bedrooms is the utility cupboard which is stocked with candles and torches and matches. It also has the fuse box.
The front door is between the kitchen and the dining room. If I get chance I'll scribble a new floorplan and post it.

I actually stayed there once and adored the place. This book will ruin that for me forever.

pigfender

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:26 am Post

JRAVAN - Good luck - apols again for the delay.

Montree_Whiles

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:02 am Post

got it thank you. i'm gonna read it, sleep on it, then compose to my heart's content. thank the stars i'm a trained typist. i do appreciate your fitting me in. thank you.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:05 am Post

The hat fooled me, too.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

pigfender

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:19 am Post

I've had a couple of good questions by email...

DEADLINE?
We orginally said 8pm UK time.
But the most important thing is that we get the writing done in the day. Which is another way of saying that I'd rather that is was late than non-existent, and that it was late than needing another pass.
Unless anyone has major moral objections, let's say 8pm is the target, but 11:58PM is the hardstop.

AGE RATINGS?
As noted in the original posts (pages and pages ago) there are some grissly scenes in the book. Where people have told me they don't want to write a grissly section then that has been honoured. However, I'd rather let people have free reign to put their own flare on their own sections, and that includes letting them write some of the grissly bits a bit more 'gratuitous' if that's how they see it working.
That said, I kind of see it as a rated 15 book with a couple of 18 scenes in it.

pigfender

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:39 am Post

For anyone who needs the info: Michael and all four dead students (Claire, John, Dave and Andy) know each other only through University. They are second years, on the English Literature undergrad degree.

homeport

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:53 am Post

Hi Pigfender
Thank you for sending the information, I am actually not far from Cornwall so based on same time. I am going to use standard Calibri and double spaced is that okay?

pigfender

Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:01 am Post

HOMEPORT: yes, that's fine. I shall be collating and imposing my iron will of font choices through the mighty power of the Scrivener for Windows compiler anyway, so write in whatever you prefer and don't worry too much on fixing formatting for my sake.

pigfender

Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:48 am Post

The House layout
[attachment=0]photo.JPG[/attachment]

Or use poetic licence and distort if you must. I think worrying about spot perfect continuity is a tad ambitious
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (151.48 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

pigfender

Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:58 am Post

Sorry - if I was a real writer I'd have drawn this...[attachment=0]photo.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (140.83 KiB) Viewed 1042 times

VDGriesdoorn

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:21 am Post

Hey guys,

sorry I'm late to the forum party. I had a birthday last night and was happily asleep afterwards. But now I've got my brief, am happily familiarising myself with the story and am ready to go soon. I have the entire day for it.

Just a last minute wonder. Are any of our writers on Twitter? Must be. I am, here; @VDGriesdoorn
Shall we tweet about our progress and book with the #NIAD tag? I have. And also, I think some updates from us would be cool. You know about how we're doing, whether we've submitted and all; to make it feel more inclusive.

Oh and, do we have a title for the novel yet?

Look forward to writing a novel with you, guys. Give it your best!