open pdf files

da
danraymond
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:34 am Post

How can I add a Word, Excel or PDF file so I can click it and open it in its native application.

If I drag and drop a PDF file I get an image of it but no link or way to open it again. If I do the same to a Word file it offers to split it up into notes. I can't drag and drop Excel files they don't work.

What I want to do is have links in a scapple document that I can click (yes I know to go to edit mode and double click which works a treat for URLs).
I am aware I can create a note then edit the text and do an "ADD Link" but then I can't browse to a file. Am I missing something, is there a simple way I can't find.

Separately I love it, the best brainstorming approach out there. Love the infinite canvas.

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:30 am Post

Just testing this (I don't use Windows often, so I may be missing a trick and there's a much easier way...).

It's a bit fiddly, but I think it seems to work for Excel and Word files.

First, in the Explorer, right click on the relevant document and choose create shortcut. Then, right click on the shortcut and choose properties. Copy the field 'Target', which gives the full path to the main document (e.g. "C:\Users\djber\OneDrive\Documents\DB 3-5x5 index card template.docx")

In Scapple, in your note, ctl-shift-l (ell) to add a new link, and paste the path information in and press return. NB, be sure to remove the quotation marks at the beginning and end of the path, or it won't work). Press return to close the dialogue.

You can then click on the link -- it will then open the document in Word / Excel etc. Or at least, it did for me just now...

Does that help?