dh
dhruva

Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:48 am Post

Metafilter people like scrivener too.
http://ask.metafilter.com/168448/Do-you ... s-Software

ptram
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:21 am Post

Actually, the Independent's article looks rather negative on Scrivener and other silicon tools. This does not keep it from being a great article, written with a fantastic prose.

Paolo

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:23 am Post

I didn't interpret it like that, Paolo, and I don't think it was intended that way either - the author, Michael Bywater, is a long-standing Scrivener (and Tinderbox) user, and some of his suggestions have gone into 2.0 (as have many users'). His main point - that handwriting is often better for thinking than computers - is fair enough, I think; I hand-write most of my initial ideas in a notebook myself (my only lament being the utter hideousness of my scrawl).
All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Hu
Hugh

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:48 am Post

A very nice piece.

"My own experience, too, is that the words come differently from a pen than from a keyboard." Spot on. I have several treasured fountain pens, one or two inherited; I just wish they didn't leak in aircraft. And pencils; for some purposes they're better. I have a favourite Yard-O-Led (sic).

We should start a thread on favourite pens and pencils (but resist the temptation to call them "non-digital writing devices" -- as a poster on a previous thread indicated, that's a self-contradiction, almost Stoppard-worthy).

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Lord Lightning

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:21 am Post

My grandson looked at my Waterman's with great curiosity. He wanted to Google it and wondered where you put in the PIN number.

I mean, kids miss out on so much. How can you stick out your blue tongue at the prettiest girl in the class just to make her giggle if you don't have a bottle of Quink handy. Hell, for that matter it means you have to drink water. Kids these days will never know the taste of a fine blue ink or understand the elegance of a Rorschach mystery hidden in a blot.

Sigh***

:(
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

ex
exegete77

Mon May 28, 2012 2:58 am Post

Interesting article about the increase in sales of fountain pens:

Why are fountain pen sales rising?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon May 28, 2012 8:17 pm Post

I love this caption:

Quill penmakers failed to innovate in the face of competition

Those silly birds, how could they be so narrow-minded and ignore the signs of human change? They should have started evolving to smelting steel out of their skin and running India Black for blood.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Foxtrot

Tue May 29, 2012 9:14 pm Post

Interesting reading...I bought fountain pen, decent quality Scheaffer, and started to use it in a moleskin notebook as a journal/diary.

For some reason the ink and paper didn't agree and each letter looked like a Rorschach blot.

On top of that years of computer usage have left my handwriting in desperate need of help and for some reason my brain makes me start writing two or three characters into a word - so for example "handwriting" would be "ndwriting" until I tried to correct it and then it would become just a mess.

I love the idea of a handwritten private journal created lovingly with a fountain pen but I think some goals are just not achievable for some of us.

Hu
Hugh

Tue May 29, 2012 9:44 pm Post

It's worth trying your Moleskine with one of these:

It's a Pilot Birdie: inexpensive and small enough to attach to the Moleskine with a single elastic band, such as this:

which can be found on any pavement in the United Kingdom because they're dropped in their millions by British postmen. (Down my way they're now using white ones, but they're just as suitable.)

Sadly, Moleskine paper, though all right for the Birdie, is too thin and absorbent for the likes of Sheaffers and Watermans. Perhaps it was thicker in Ernest's day:

Image.

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

AmberV

Wed May 30, 2012 1:30 am Post

Have you tried the cornflower blue sketchbook variety? It has thicker stock and so fewer pages (but still plenty of them), and in my experience the tooth and density of the paper is perfect for handling even the most freeflowing nib. The writing stock notebooks have smoother paper, so they don't grab the nib as well, and yes---ink just goes right through it, even with a gel pen.
Ioa Petra'ka

robertdguthrie

Wed May 30, 2012 3:09 pm Post

I've heard that the paper used in Rhodia notebooks (the orange ones) is better for fountain pens than Moleskine, and then there are more obscure brands which are harder to find yet even better than Rhodia.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

kewms

Wed May 30, 2012 4:04 pm Post

I've found that "drawing" paper is generally better for fountain pens than "writing" paper. So look for "sketchbooks" rather than "notebooks."

On the other hand, don't assume that you have to spend a lot. I write almost all of my first drafts on generic OfficeMax legal pads, and they work great with no blurring or bleedthrough.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

AmberV

Wed May 30, 2012 6:20 pm Post

I'm a fan of Rhodia notepads. $5 for a nice thick bundle of perforated high quality sheets of paper.
Ioa Petra'ka