great icon design (except...)

pa
pagardur

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:56 pm Post

Hello there,

I am not sure if this is really of interest now that the upcoming Scrivener 2.0 is almost scheduled. Maybe you have even planned to redesign the icon set, after all.

In case not, I would like to say that Scrivener's icons are great. They are useful and nice altogether, very mac-like. Just there are two of them which I don't like that much.

The "binder" icon: It's a binder, I know, but because of the perspective I can't help but see a laptop in the first place everytime I look at it (the cover acts like a screen with a blue desktop, see what I mean?). I have a tiny screen, I must admit.

What if it had a more vertical approach? Sort of like this one (not necessarily closed):

The "delete" icon: This one I can clearly see, it is just that it reminds me of "forbidden" (like a traffic sign) more than "delete". Why not a simple red cross?, like this kind:

Again, the overall work is great and this is simply minutiae. Just my two euro-cents.

Regards,

Pablo.

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:32 pm Post

I agree. The binder always looked to me like a laptop, and the delete icon says "forbidden" -- or more historically, "bend sinister" -- rather than "trash." However, I suppose one could argue that forbid implies refuse, which need only be nominalized for accuracy, and bastardy is rather trashy.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:16 pm Post

Hmm, I can see your point, but on the other hand a book-like icon is too generic and doesn't look like a ring-binder. And a ring-binder that is closed just doesn't look very good. The current binder icon was contributed by a user and I kind of like it - I've rejigged it a little for 2.0, but it remains essentially the same.

So how about this? If anyone can design a binder icon that I like better than the current one, I'll give that person a free upgrade. :)

As for the delete icon, I definitely agree on that one and have added it to the list to provide an icon more like the one in the image you provided.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Ca
Carradee

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:27 am Post

KB wrote:So how about this? If anyone can design a binder icon that I like better than the current one, I'll give that person a free upgrade. :)

*doubts her drawing skills are up to the task*

What about an upright open binder? Standing up?
Wanna hydroplane?
--My brother (while driving)

Jaysen

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:29 am Post

Or one of those big clip thingies from the office. not only can I not draw it, I can't tell you what it is!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ma
matt

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:31 am Post

Jaysen wrote:Or one of those big clip thingies from the office. not only can I not draw it, I can't tell you what it is!

Bulldog clip? On a clipboard?

Except that's not a binder... similar metaphor, but probably needs to be a binder with the name.

Jaysen

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:49 am Post

The box I have here says "binder clip". I always called them bulldog too, but then I have been told I am only visiting this planet.

Which I a long winded way of saying "I figured I was wrong".
Last edited by Jaysen on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:42 am Post

Jaysen wrote:but then I am have been told I am only visiting this planet.
:|
Fluff
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:07 pm Post

Happy?
Jaysen

ja
janra

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:55 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:The box I have here says "binder clip". I always called them bulldog too, but then I have been told I am only visiting this planet.

I believe "bulldog" is one brand of binder clips.

Pe
PeterA

Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:04 am Post

KB wrote:As for the delete icon, I definitely agree on that one and have added it to the list to provide an icon more like the one in the image you provided.

Er, not so fast! That 'forbidden' icon for delete is sprinkled throughout my system -- in Mail.app, as a customised Finder window and in Scriv, MarsEdit.
I'm OK with it just the way it is (sorta kinda universal) thanks.

Image Mail Image Finder
Image MarsEdit Image Scriv

"Deposit 2c here." - Peter
"The kowhai tree would never have met the tui if it hadn't found the courage to bloom."

Jaysen

Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:45 am Post

Enter the call for a user preference setting or user definable image.

I will suggest something realistic though. Leave changing the icon for post 2.0
Jaysen

pink

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:22 am Post

I've made icons for things, and while I've USED the "no entry" icon for delete, it always irks me as not actually correct. I've also used it for "private forum" and things like that.

A good delete icon would be an animated page going through a shredder.*

* that was tongue in cheek
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

Ke
Kendric

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:37 am Post

pagardur wrote:The "binder" icon: It's a binder, I know, but because of the perspective I can't help but see a laptop in the first place everytime I look at it (the cover acts like a screen with a blue desktop, see what I mean?). I have a tiny screen, I must admit.

::wonders what you're talking about::
::looks closer at the binder icon::

Holy cow, it is a binder. I thought it actually was a laptop. :oops:

Wock

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:23 pm Post

Well maybe it could look something like this?
Binder.png
Binder 2.0?
Binder.png (34.75 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.