M1 Compile Times

Ru
RuffPub
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:42 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I've been an Apple user since before there even *was* an Apple.

Ah, but are you a 'special' Apple user, like me? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jaysen

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:56 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
Apart from that, my beefs so far are with Big Sur. I like to keep a minimal dock, with only finder, trash and icons for open apps/programs. But although I have removed all the other icons from the dock, when I use an an app and then close it, it's icon remains in the dock and I have to Ctrl-click again and choose "remove from dock" every time. The other irritant is that when invoking an app using Spotlight, the pane that opens no longer displays the list of recent files. Bah humbug!

Mark

Mr X,

open the dock preferences and uncheck "show recent application in dock". That should reduce your level of frustration a tad...

Screen shot of the setting:
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 4.54.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 4.54.32 PM.png (114.18 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Jaysen

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:56 pm Post

RuffPub wrote:
pigfender wrote:I've been an Apple user since before there even *was* an Apple.

Ah, but are you a 'special' Apple user, like me? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh he's special. He is ALL KINDS OF SPECIAL!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:15 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:<snip>
Mr X,

open the dock preferences and uncheck "show recent application in dock". That should reduce your level of frustration a tad...

<snip>

Jaysen, thanks. I don't know how I missed that … maybe because of the different dialog including menu-bar control that I spent time working out whether I wanted it on or off.

:oops:

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Jaysen

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:41 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
Jaysen wrote:<snip>
Mr X,

<snip>

Jaysen, thanks. I don't know how I missed that … maybe because of the different dialog including menu-bar control that I spent time working out whether I wanted it on or off.

:oops:

Mr X

At this point I believe I have met my “usefulness quota” for the year. I shall now return to piratical dolphin alien abduction theories.
Jaysen

ImageImage

Thomas Rabenstein

Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:33 am Post

Aricsdaddy wrote:I am currently using a 2017 MacBook Air, and compile times for me can be numerous minutes as I use a lot of images. I am curious if anyone has upgraded to a MBA with M1 and what compile times are like as a comparison? I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade now, or wait until the new touchscreen MBA's launch.

I'm still working with a MacPro (2013) and waiting for the new iMac or MacPro generation with the M1x chip, but I was already able to test the new MacBook Air with M1 at a friend's house and compile a large project file, including graphics. The new devices with Apple Silicon are amazingly fast and surprisingly quiet. I would rate the performance (subjectively) in such a way that the MacBook Air already clearly outshines the current Intel MacBook Pro in terms of performance and energy efficiency. For me, the switch is definite as soon as the Pro devices are released.
Thomas
Writer/Author/Selfpublisher in fulltime
Mac/iOs User

iC
iCowboy

Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:14 pm Post

Aricsdaddy wrote:I am currently using a 2017 MacBook Air, and compile times for me can be numerous minutes as I use a lot of images. I am curious if anyone has upgraded to a MBA with M1 and what compile times are like as a comparison? I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade now, or wait until the new touchscreen MBA's launch.

In case you're still interested in an answer, I'm running Scrivener on the new M1 MBA with 16GB RAM. I'm seeing very similar compile times to when I ran it on a 2018 MBP - but I'm not seeing quite so many crashes (which may be just coincidence).

I've just compiled c. 32k words including images, tables, cross-references, footnotes, comments etc. to a 141 page Microsoft Word .docx in about 45 seconds. The MBA didn't so much as hiccup or even get a tiny bit warm.

HTH.