Lock In Place in 3.2.1

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:08 am Post

django wrote:
auxbuss wrote:Sadly, it appears that L&L are sticking by this incomprehensible design decision. Such a shame.

Do you mean 3.2.2 doesn't deal with the problem?

I do.

I wish someone from L&L would explain the rationale behind it.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:21 am Post

auxbuss wrote:I wish someone from L&L would explain the rationale behind it.

That's funny, I thought KB already had.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

dj
django

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:39 pm Post

Disappointing. Scriv persons, might we have something good on this in 3.2.3?

KB
Site Admin

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:51 pm Post

django wrote:Disappointing. Scriv persons, might we have something good on this in 3.2.3?

No, this won't be changing. The previous system of blue for focussed and pink for locked was never entirely satisfactory because you'd end up with a blue piece of UI when everything else conformed to the system tint colour. We now abide better by standard UI conventions of using the system tint colour to indicate focus. That meant that lock in place had to change, though, since if you had a red system tint colour it would be difficult to tell apart focussed and locked. So locked is now a dark grey.

Note that there is a very distinctive visual clue of an editor being locked in place even without the colour, though: a lock icon appears in the editor bar. So it's still easy to tell at a glance that an editor is locked, even though it might not be as in-your-face as the pink of yore.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

auxbuss

Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:55 pm Post

Thanks, Keith.
So it's still easy to tell at a glance that an editor is locked.

This completely misses the point of the complaint. The problem is not identifying which editor is locked, but which editor is active; though both were far, far easier to discern in previous versions – hence the absence of complaints!

This is an absolutely terrible decision from a usability and design perspective, imo. But hey ho, I can live without Lock in Place. It's a shame to lose it, but I can more quickly adjust to that than having the wrong editor window being highlighted as active.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:05 pm Post

This should clarify the argument being made:

The top half is scrambled, so as to better simulate actual conditions where you wouldn't know what you're looking at without examining menu checkmark states by hand, or looking very closely at the UI to find the subtle visual cues.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:58 pm Post

auxbuss wrote:This is an absolutely terrible decision from a usability and design perspective, imo. But hey ho, I can live without Lock in Place. It's a shame to lose it, but I can more quickly adjust to that than having the wrong editor window being highlighted as active.

As you say, this is your opinion; I don't share it. :)

I agree that there is an issue when the user sets the system tint to grey, however. Our graphics designer felt that users who set their accent colour to grey would be used to this sort of thing. For the next update, there, I have made the following tweak:

- If the system accent is set to grey, the focus indicator colour will use the pre-3.2 blue, making it as obvious as when using any other accent colour.

"Lock in Place" will remain the darker shade of grey.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

auxbuss

Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:54 pm Post

I'm not sure you've yet understood the problem, Keith.

Here's an example with the system accent and highlight set to blue. The top image is with the left editor selected, and the bottom with the right editor selected. Clear as anything. Anyone who doesn't use Lock in Place will be intimately familiar with this highlighting – the selected editor uses the highlighted colour in the header. Bonza!
test-1.png
test-1.png (87.73 KiB) Viewed 584 times

Here are the same editor selections with Lock in Place active:
test-2.png
test-2.png (91.91 KiB) Viewed 584 times

If this behaviour is your intention, then I would like to understand the rationale, so that I might adjust my mental model to accommodate it, because it's currently beyond me.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:23 am Post

auxbuss wrote:I'm not sure you've yet understood the problem, Keith.

Here's an example with the system accent and highlight set to blue. The top image is with the left editor selected, and the bottom with the right editor selected. Clear as anything. Anyone who doesn't use Lock in Place will be intimately familiar with this highlighting – the selected editor uses the highlighted colour in the header. Bonza!
test-1.png
Here are the same editor selections with Lock in Place active:
test-2.png
If this behaviour is your intention, then I would like to understand the rationale, so that I might adjust my mental model to accommodate it, because it's currently beyond me.

- The blue header background indicates which editor will be affected by clicks in the binder.
- The blue divider indicates which editor currently has the focus.

This is how things have been for a long time; it's just that the lock-in-place background colour has changed from pink to a dark grey.

I'm not quite sure why the lock-in-place header in your screenshot is so dark, though. It should be more obvious:

Unlocked:
Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 10.22.11.png
Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 10.22.11.png (98.2 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Locked:
Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 10.22.18.png
Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 10.22.18.png (114.88 KiB) Viewed 560 times

dj
django

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:51 pm Post

KB wrote:
django wrote:Disappointing. Scriv persons, might we have something good on this in 3.2.3?

No, this won't be changing. The previous system of blue for focussed and pink for locked was never entirely satisfactory because you'd end up with a blue piece of UI when everything else conformed to the system tint colour. We now abide better by standard UI conventions of using the system tint colour to indicate focus. That meant that lock in place had to change, though, since if you had a red system tint colour it would be difficult to tell apart focussed and locked. So locked is now a dark grey.

Note that there is a very distinctive visual clue of an editor being locked in place even without the colour, though: a lock icon appears in the editor bar. So it's still easy to tell at a glance that an editor is locked, even though it might not be as in-your-face as the pink of yore.

Keith, you've clearly decided this is how it must be.

Do you get the sense that the nearly 1,000 Scriv users who've looked at this post agree? Impossible to know, of course.

Anyway, as I'm stuck with this, is there a chance you could make the grey of the Locked In Place setting darker? I really do have trouble distinguishing between the unlocked grey and the locked grey.